• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke' TV

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
    Years
    What is Poke'Tv About? Here we put up a new episode for you to watch every week! NOTE: I said Watch not download!

Well that basically sums it all up our solgan is "Watch Pokemon On Your Computer!" and I mean literally watch PKMN on your Computer!

Before our grand openening I need to make sure that it works so I've made a test page for you all to test out
    go here:
    https://www.littleroot.vzz.net/hoenn.php?id=PkmnTV
    under the image that says PokeTV (with the celebi) an episode should load. It may take a while for it load but can U guys please tell me if it works? The current Ep up is Groudon VS Kygore Part One

Please tell me.

Zapchu

Da' Evolution Chu
    Years
    I have some comments...you are going to kill people with dial-up connections. Number two is that there are too many pop up ads. I hate popup ads. The thirds one is that your video is hosted on...geocities.com? o_O; They don't give...a lot of bandwidth to free sites I beleive, so after a couple people watch your video, it will become unaviliable again until the next month. Did you buy extra bandwidth?

The thing doesn't load for me at all, shows as a blank picture and I have T1 connection. Otherwise, it would have been a good idea. Maybe you can try using quicktime or realplayer online versions that they use on gametrailers.com, those load really fast.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
    Okay it works, but not from your site.

https://dhost.info/pkmnsky/Episode.wmv

The video clip is horrible quality. Yes I know it's for streaming, but even the audio is horrible quality, (8 kbps, 8 kHz, mono (A/V) 1-pass CBR) is best used when your video is just audio (preferably news), but not for a Pok?mon episode where there is music and all lots of sound effects.

You're also stretching the video from 160x120 pixels to 215x160 pixels on your site. This will make the video look even more worse.

I suspect that you've encoded the video clip from an already downloaded video clip you got else where. This is a bad practice, and I suggest you avoid doing so completly if possible. Get your own sources, DVDs or tape from TV. Downloaded sources will always be second grade.

Finally, like Zapchu mentioned, there are far too many pop-up ads. This will definitely turn people away from your site after a few visits. However, having said all that, the layout is pretty good.

saul

Years
    Okay few comments: One, That's not where PokeTV is going to be hosted (Of course there are too many popups it's hostlutra), Like I said in my first post: "I've made a test page" so It's not the real page. Next, For Dialup users sorry XD I should of had mentioned in the first post that dialup users shouldn't try viewing PokeTV. Third, It's not hosted on Geocities cause your right Zapchu soon there wouldn't even be an epsiode to watch! O.o, and yes Optic It's low quality cause It's a 10 MB video and there's no way for me to find a host that will host a 10 MB Video. O ya and Zapchu, I origannilly wanted to have a quicktime, realone player online player to show them but I don't know how so If U do then can U please tell me how?

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2009
    Just to let you know, letting people download a whole episode of Pokemon is illegal. The worst thing taht can happen to you is getting sued by 4Kids Enterainment or TV Tokyo. You dont have the right to let people downloadit.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    However, it does give people the opportunity to download the episode, by viewing the HTML source and putting the video URL into a download program. You have to be really careful about these things.

saul

Years
    JA: I know that I was planning for POKETV to open a new window without the links up above and disable right clicking.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2009
    showing/ letting people download it is all the same. It's still illegal. Saul doesn't have the right to show episodes of Pokemon unless permitted by Kids WB, 4Kids Entertainment, The Pokemon Company, Nintendo, or TV Tokyo.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Jedi_Amara said:
    Yeah, that's a good idea; you should implement that to stop people downloading.

Disabling right-clicking in a pop-up won't stop anything. Simply follow the source to find the video URL. It's not that difficult.

You'd also have to disable out-of-site embedding of the file and direct URL requests for that to work to some extent.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Jedi_Amara said:
    But without the menus, as he says, you can't see the source.

Initial Page
    Code:
    Click <a href="popup-vid.php">here</a> to view the video!

<!--
    Note that the link would likely be presented using an onClick 
    command to open a window without menus across the top.
    The file could still be found easily.
    -->

Hellish types https://rootURL.domain/popup-vid.php into his address bar.

Pop-Up
    Code:
    <embed src="myVideo.wmv">

Hellish creates an HTML page to embed the file in (the URL was now found), and right-clicks the video to save it.

Or, Hellish simply enters the WMV file URL into his address bar to save the file.

Only using the right-click blocking code fails every time. It just stops amateurs.

Zapchu

Da' Evolution Chu
    Years
    :P Let the guy alone, he can do what he wants, it's his site afterall. And I doubt TVTokyo would care about it. The only instance I knew that a site got into trouble for having videoclips as UPNetwork a long time ago. But they just e-mail you giving you a warning to delete it first. So, if you don't get an e-mail that will mean, they don't even know your site exists, or they don't care at all.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Ya, thats true Zapchu -it's like with roms, so many sites have roms but dont get picked up on :\
    The only thing is that I hope you will have enough bandwidth..10mb bw used per person that watches the video is alot ^^;

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    hmmmm interesting... nice idea/concept EXCEPT as pkmn-source stated there are legal / licensing issues you may have to deal with.. May i suggest showing a clip instead?

also look for a streaming media service provider.. can help you with limiting downloads (will only stream) perferabley in .asx or other windows media format (most popular) stay far, FAR away from .rm / .mov (evil!)

Back