• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeball design question

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I know that pokemon can come out of their pokeballs on their own, sometimes at inappropriate times (psyduck, wobbuffet, etc). It can happen often and I'd be mad if my pokemon keeps coming out of it's pokeball at the wrong time!

Why aren't pokeballs designed to be opened only by the trainer and not from the inside? Is there some safety reason?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wobbuffet

Years
    Because imprisoning a pokemon inside a pokeball without any hope of escaping would be considered creulty. Pokemon should be allowed to come out their pokeballs on their own accord especially in emergencies.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    First you have to wonder how these people manage to convert matter into energy without a nuclear blast and still have bulky CRT monitors.

And yeah, there is such thing as Pokemon cruelty. But it has been shown before Pokeballs can be easily designed to manipulate and do illegal functions.

Years
    That's true like those dark pokeballs in one episode or movie what turn pokemon evil. I can't remember where though.

So some pokeballs could be designed to lock a pokemon inside a pokeball like a prison and can only be opened from the outside.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    That's true like those dark pokeballs in one episode or movie what turn pokemon evil. I can't remember where though.

So some pokeballs could be designed to lock a pokemon inside a pokeball like a prison and can only be opened from the outside.

Exactly, the Dark Ball from Movie 4. Clearly that Pokeball was outside of legal standards.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    This actually an interesting topic, as it's also been hinted a few times that they cannot come out by themselfs. (or at least a theory if you will)

In the Diamond and Pearl episode "Sandshrew's Locker" Mira left Abra in it's Pokéball when the whole town was decidedly flooded, but it never really left the pokéball, neither am I sure if it even knew of the flood and decided to stay in it's pokéball forever otherwise Mira and her friends wouldn't have forgotten about the Abra.

Unless we go the a whole different discussion and say that Pokémon and see through their pokéballs, or only certain pokémon can leave their pokéballs. As Abra whole see the water surrounding it and knew it would drown.

^ Most of this just serves from memory so forgive me if I've gotten facts from the episode wrong.

Years
    This actually an interesting topic, as it's also been hinted a few times that they cannot come out by themselfs. (or at least a theory if you will)

In the Diamond and Pearl episode "Sandshrew's Locker" Mira left Abra in it's Pokéball when the whole town was decidedly flooded, but it never really left the pokéball, neither am I sure if it even knew of the flood and decided to stay in it's pokéball forever otherwise Mira and her friends wouldn't have forgotten about the Abra.

Unless we go the a whole different discussion and say that Pokémon and see through their pokéballs, or only certain pokémon can leave their pokéballs. As Abra whole see the water surrounding it and knew it would drown.

^ Most of this just serves from memory so forgive me if I've gotten facts from the episode wrong.

It's quite possible that Abra could have left its pokeball several times after Mira left him and knew of the flood so at that time, it stayed in its pokeball to protect itself as pokeballs are waterproof and he wouldn't drown. I believe most pokemon can leave their pokeballs at any time they want. It would be wrong if they just stayed in their pokeballs 24/7. It would be quite boring too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Some interesting replies!

Looks like I'll be avoiding pokemon that keep coming out of their pokeballs at the wrong time. It's quite irritating.

Simon Alexander

Orlesian
    Years

*cough cough* It was a sandshrew in the pokeball, not abra XP And Sandshrew may have sensed that it was encased by water, so...

I dunno, it seems pokeballs are rather flimsy. Jessie once crushed a pokeball under her foot with little effort, and many, many pokemon can break out of pokeballs. Perhaps with stronger balls (Great, Ultra, and special balls that work for the pokemon intended (clefairy in a moon ball, for instance)), a pokemon would have a harder time breaking out of the ball on its own accord after being captured. Interesting thought. TOO BAD THOSE DON'T SEEM TO EVER EXIST IN THE ANIME UNIVERSE, HUH?

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    No, it's not Pokemon Torture, I think. In fact, it's kind of heaven for Pokemon.

Pokeballs are DESIGNED for Pokemon. Pokeballs contain something inside of it that makes Pokemon feel like they're in their natural habitat. But I don't think it's the same in the anime...

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
    i agree like pikachu...you could glue the poke ball shut or tape it hmm what else...

Back