• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map✓] [pokeemerald] Is It Possible To Add More Palettes For Custom Tiles?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
  • Hi,

My question is exactly as written lol. I want to try changing a bunch of the general tiles to prettier ones, while also retaining at least a bit of their original color. Of course this means I'd have to insert their palettes into the game with PoryMap's tileset editor. I understand that Palette 1-6 is used by the general tiles, though it seems that only 7, 11, and 12 are "free", while 8-10 are used by other maps that utilize some secondary tilesets. But what if I wanted to add more free palettes next to the original 12 already there? Is something like that possible? And if so, would any problems arise from doing so?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hi,

My question is exactly as written lol. I want to try changing a bunch of the general tiles to prettier ones, while also retaining at least a bit of their original color. Of course this means I'd have to insert their palettes into the game with PoryMap's tileset editor. I understand that Palette 1-6 is used by the general tiles, though it seems that only 7, 11, and 12 are "free", while 8-10 are used by other maps that utilize some secondary tilesets. But what if I wanted to add more free palettes next to the original 12 already there? Is something like that possible? And if so, would any problems arise from doing so?

If the goal is to add more detail to the general tiles, you could increase the number of palettes dedicated to the primary tileset (decreasing the number of palettes dedicated to the secondary tileset).
    You also might be able to increase the total number of tileset palettes by 1 but I have no idea if that would be safe to do.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • If the goal is to add more detail to the general tiles, you could increase the number of palettes dedicated to the primary tileset (decreasing the number of palettes dedicated to the secondary tileset).
    You also might be able to increase the total number of tileset palettes by 1 but I have no idea if that would be safe to do.

I'd say the goal is moreso to add a bunch of new tiles like buildings, mountains, rocks, grass, roads, and such, but adding a bunch of new ones seems to mean that I'd need a new custom palette for each group of new tiles I want to add, and there are only so few free palettes to use for them. I'm not sure how other hacks do it with those tile overhauls, but I kinda wanna try practicing the same thing. Maybe it'd make more sense to overwrite the general palettes for specific tiles? Like I'd overwrite palette 3 to put in new mountain/dirt tiles and stuff like that.
    I see, if it's possibly unsafe to increase the total palettes by even 1, then I prob won't try doing it lol.

Back