• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [Pokeemerald] What would I need to do to add a third Gender/Character option at the start of the game

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 9, 2024
    Hello, I am starting work on a Romhack and I am trying to focus on adding more customizability options for the player rather than new/updated battle mechanics or great changes in difficulty/strategy. One of the customizability options I want is a third Gender/Character the player can choose at the start of the game, and then maybe even the ability to switch during the game, how would I do either (or both) of these things? I also don't plan on having different rivals for each Gender/Character, if that factors into it at all. I have searched around and haven't been able to find any possible tutorials for how to add a third option, so I'm wondering if I am just not looking in the right place, if it is even possible, or it has been done but not documented.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You'll have to modify the code for the new game sequence to support more than 2 genders.

Then you should find all code that references the gender variable:
    Code:
    gSaveBlock2Ptr->playerGender
    and make sure that it works properly with more than 2 possible values.

To change gender mid-game, you could create a C function for setting the gender variable, and call that from a script.

LordOfOtatops

The Super Dragon Janitor
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 9, 2024
    Alright thanks for the help, I am a little new to Decomp hacking so I might need a little more in-depth help at some point but I'll see what I can figure out on my own.

Back