• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Adventures: Viz Media vs. Chuang Yi

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2013
I want to start reading the pokemon adventures manga, and since i can't read japanese i'll need an english translation. Is the translation/censorship better handled in one publication over the other? Thanks in advance

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 24, 2013
Well, both are good translations (I've read volumes 1-14 and 30-36 by VIZ Media and volumes 15-29 by Chuang Yi). This decision depends on two things, where you are living and what you are looking for:

VIZ Media's books are available in many bookstores in North America and some parts of Europe and South Africa. The Chuang Yi versions are available in Singapore and parts of Southern and South-Eastern Asia, and Australia and New Zealand. If you live outside of these parts, check e-Bay or Amazon. Some bigger cities throughout the world have stores that sell imported comics (like my local store in Helsinki, Finland).

The other thing is what you're looking for. The VIZ Media bases its translation more on the games whereas Chuang Yi has its own way of translating (for example in the VIZ version Youngster Joey goes by his name in the games while the Chuang Yi uses the name Grant, also the Aqua and Magma Admins have different names from the games in the Chuang Yi version) .

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
VIZ
Pros:
Original right to left reading format preserved.
Direct Japanese to English translations.
Cons:
Censorship of a few scenes such as a scene from chapter 32 (vol. 3) and a scene from chapter 133 (vol. 11).
Volumes from the DPPt arc and up published as separate series (for those who want to have the original numbering of the volumes).
Neutral:
Modifies the cover designs a little, but it looks really nice.
Chuang Yi
Pros:
No censorship as far as I know. Original numbering of the volumes.
Cons:
Reading format flipped from the original Japanese right to left format to the western left to right format.
Chuang Yi translates the Chinese volumes into English, meaning that it's a translation of a translation. This has caused some translation errors if I remember correctly.
Neutral:
Keeps the original cover design.

Last edited:
Back