• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Ancient Amber

ASpider

Amber Dev
Years
  • Sorry for not posting for a while. My codeveloper quit on the job really quickly and I was kinda left on my own again. Which got me a bit sad, and I decided to play some other games for a while instead of drawing more sprites, but now I am back and alright again. Hopefully now I can continue at full speed.

I like your cncept with ekans and arbok, seeing as how sea snakes are a relative of cobras as such your plan works beautifully. And giving the hadrosaurids boomburst as an egg move even if they have poor special attack can be useful for breeding purposes all around so I'd stick with it. Plus what you describe could still work in battle. I say this because a old trick from third gen pokemon games and sometimes in newer ones is to teach Overheat to a arcanine or blaziken raised to be physical sweepers. The logic being th emove is so powerful at its base, it will do great damage even with the reduction in special attack cased by an adamant/impish/careful/jolly nature. In this instance Boomburst would still more than likely do heavy damage, especially since STAB applies with the normal typings of these three pokemon.

The sand dollar pokemonyou showed off are pretty interesting too. I could see their stats becoming sorta like a shuckle's at some point as they evolve

Yeah. I've balanced the hadrosaurids a bit so they can use boomburst somewhat with 65 or so Sp. Attack.. I think it is ok because I gave them ridiculously high HPs originally, anyway.

The Sand dollar Pokemon is more physically oriented as a wall, but it does have Shuckle speed.

This is the most amazing idea ever and I would love to play this the moment it is released! You go, my mans! I love prehistoric creatures so this is all right up my alley and I can't wait for the finished product!

love the idea hope progress goes well

Thank you both. You wouldn't believe how much these comments help.

I've finalized the map of the island for the most part, which has also allowed me to decide the Gyms and such. ¨The Red Dots are your crashed ship (south) and the human settlements in the Island (others). There are going to be human settlements around the island to explain the existence of the Temples and enabling some facilities like Daycare and such. The islanders will speak Dutch and a made-up language, but you'll be able to obtain a Translator Pokemon in-game. The Green Dots are the Temples (Gyms) and you won't be able to use the Fly Item to get there.
    attachment.php

The currently planned Temples are:
    Bug: Gives the Clear-Cut HM (Bug-type move that hits twice and never misses) and the Incinerate HM. Both HMs destroy small trees.
    Ground: Gives the Bulldoze HM and the Rock Smash HM. Both destroy small rocks.
    Water: Gives the Lapras Call (Surf Item)
    Electric: Gives the Flashlight Item and stops the EMPs that paralyzed your ship's engines.
    Ice: Gives the Teleport Item and clears the Aerodactyle Call (Fly Item) and clears Fog from a previously foggy area.
    Psychic: Gives the Psychic Push HM (Psychic Dragon Tail) and the Strength HM (Rock). Both push Rocks.
    Dragon: Gives the Hylex Call (Whirlpool Item)
    Grass: Gives the Vine Lasso (Grass Bulldoze) and the Chain Snare (Steel Infestation) HMs that let you jump to specific platforms infront of the player.

So I am using a mix of HMs and Items. I think it is a pretty healthy mix. There is only a need for 4 HMs and you've got alternatives, so using them shouldn't be too painful.

Here is the splash page of the Game. Hope you guys like it.

attachment.php

Also some new formes:
    attachment.php

Primal Croconaw is a Water/Ice fakemon that is slightly faster than the original. I tried slimming him up, but he ended up a bit too similar to the OG feraligatr. I realize thos spikes on his sides are not very functional, but I needed something to break the color scheme in that spot and a color stripe didn't work.

attachment.php

Primal Feraligatr is based on the Desmatosuchus, and be quadrupedal but he ended up looking a bit dull, didn't he? Is it just the eyes? Should he have a meaner look? He is also one of the first sprites I make without using another sprite as a base. His base speed is 103, but he loses a bit of defense and attack in exchange. His signature move will be "Frostquake", which is a 100 BP 100 Acc Ice move that doesn't hit fliers.

attachment.php

Primal KRicketune is a Bug/Steel Pokemon based on a Cave Kricket, and as such he has lost his wings and become a bit heavier. He is more especially oriented than the original Kricketune and very minmaxed (reaching 105 Base Sp. Attack). I wanted to make him look like a violin originally, but it looked bad. He learns Boomburst and Hypercussion (110 BP, 85 Acc Steel-type, sound-based move)

attachment.php

(not Primal, looking for a new name) Banette is a Ghost/Normal Banette that gets either Fluffy or Levitate as abilities. Its stats are actually pretty balanced, because the typing is too good and thus doesn't deserve minmaxing. Shuppets are available in the Ship's storage room as random encounters and only digivolve while on the Island through Friendship.

I made two other sprites, but I decided not to post them later on because they ended up bland and ugly. Hopefully I'll be able to redo them.

And a question. Who should be the "Regional Rodent"?
    A Normal/Dragon Psittacosaurus or a Normal/Grass Stegoceras? I decided to remove my Kiwi Fakemon and use either of these as the rodent because they are more flavourful.

Last edited:

King Gerar

Is it called Ancient Amber or Ageless Amber(because of the titlescreen)?

ASpider

Amber Dev
    Years
  • Is it called Ancient Amber or Ageless Amber(because of the titlescreen)?
    For now it'll be called Ancient Amber but I am considering changing it to Ageless Amber. I prefer the "Ageless Amber" name and I think it would be easier to find in searches, but I've been calling it Ancient Amber for so long, and it is referred as Ancient Amber in all development files, so it comes naturally. Plus, the "Ancient" name makes it sound like the game is set in prehistory, which isn't the case.

Do you feel I should change it already to "Ageless Amber" so the "Ancient" name is freed?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I can see what you mean about primal feraligatr's appearance, it does look a bit off. Its otherwise still good, well done

ASpider

Amber Dev
    Years
  • A minor update with only two new fakemon. Cheacky and Rolyzard. Cheaky is a Normal-type fakemon that learns things like Double-Edge, Stockpile, etc. Rolyzard is a Normal/Dragon type that also learns Dragon Tail and Dragon Dance. Both are based on Psittacosaurus. The idea is that they are gluttonous Pokemon that store their body fat in their tail. Rolyzard's tail is such a delicacy that it needs to be overprotective of it so it doesn't get eaten (even despite its natural Spikes). They are early mons, so they have low stats. Rolyzard only has 461 BST. That said, they are pretty bulky and have access to Simple and Dragon Dance, as well as Thick Fat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, the only Pokemon available in the initial area that I still need to draw are the starter evolutions, I believe, So I'll begin working in the game maps and database starting next week. For anybody with experience in Essentials that might be reading this, would you recommend that I replace the Pokemon in the database, or just add the new ones at the end of the dex?

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    wow simple backed by draon dance? That may be a weak okemon but the ability combo would be a nightmare in any part of the game.

BTW, I had an idea for tyrantrum if you haven't already gotten to designing how he'll work in this, I had an idea which would give him an ability that can make sound-based moves do physical damage, thus making Hyper Voice a move that works off Tyrantrum's amazing attack stat. Since loud enough sounds can potentially cause direct physical damage as seen with shattering glass or even possible rupture of eardrums, this can be a pretty devastating combo. I was inspired by the mobile game Jurassic Park Builder as T. Rex and Giganotosaurus in the game's battle mode roar at enemies as their special attack.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2020
    Hey can you repost a link to your discord? This Project interests me greatly as I've been toying around with the idea of making a fossil Pokemon fangame (with the Pokemon from before they were fossils) (some sort of time travel to the past) and the (non fossil) Pokemon in that era would be Pokemon that speciated into their present forms, eg. Turtonator and torkoal would have descended from the same Pokemon, drapion/gligar, stantler/sawsbuck, miltank/tauros, etc etc. There's a fair few actually. I'm going to make a Pokemon fangame eventually, but like you need a ton of help with the mapping and scripting. I'm actually decent at spritework, and writing, so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe we could collab or something.
    I will, however, only be available starting February 2019 after my thesis is done :/
    Hit me up if a collaboration is something that interests you, I've got tons of ideas to throw around, and (come February 2019) nothing but time.

Last edited:

ASpider

Amber Dev
    Years
  • wow simple backed by draon dance? That may be a weak okemon but the ability combo would be a nightmare in any part of the game.
    Yeah. Probably. Even with 54 base speed, it'll be quite dangerous. I'll make it so he only learns Dragon Dance near the end game, at least.

BTW, I had an idea for tyrantrum if you haven't already gotten to designing how he'll work in this, I had an idea which would give him an ability that can make sound-based moves do physical damage, thus making Hyper Voice a move that works off Tyrantrum's amazing attack stat. Since loud enough sounds can potentially cause direct physical damage as seen with shattering glass or even possible rupture of eardrums, this can be a pretty devastating combo. I was inspired by the mobile game Jurassic Park Builder as T. Rex and Giganotosaurus in the game's battle mode roar at enemies as their special attack.

I was thinking about keeping Tyrantrum mostly Bite-based, but I like that idea. At the very least, I'll consider a Giganotosaurus-based Pokemon to have such an ability.

Hey can you repost a link to your discord? This Project interests me greatly as I've been toying around with the idea of making a fossil Pokemon fangame (with the Pokemon from before they were fossils) (some sort of time travel to the past) and the (non fossil) Pokemon in that era would be Pokemon that speciated into their present forms, eg. Turtonator and torkoal would have descended from the same Pokemon, drapion/gligar, stantler/sawsbuck, miltank/tauros, etc etc. There's a fair few actually. I'm going to make a Pokemon fangame eventually, but like you need a ton of help with the mapping and scripting. I'm actually decent at spritework, and writing, so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe we could collab or something.
    I will, however, only be available starting February 2019 after my thesis is done :/
    Hit me up if a collaboration is something that interests you, I've got tons of ideas to throw around, and (come February 2019) nothing but time.

Here you go:
    https://discord.gg/5CTuR7
    I never realized that Discord Links expired so quickly. I always imagined the links would last at least a few months.

I had a few "Ancestor" Pokemon in my fangame, although I had not considered common ancestors. A Miltank/Tauros/Bouffalant common ancestor could work as an Auroch Pokemon in my game since the Professor in this game is an expert at resuscitating Pokemon from fossils and gives you some of the results from her experiments for Pokedex completion.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Yeah the concept of common ancestors for some pokemon would be pretty vital I believe.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2020
    Hi,
    Just made some concept art, and sized them down to sprite size, as a test. They will have to be redone properly as sprites though.
    Introducing Auropod (Auro from aurora, pod from sauropod. Auropod, geddit? )
    artflow_201812162043.png
    rsz_artflow_201812170039.png
    He is basically amaura, the pre-evolution of aurorus, and also the distant ancestor of meganium/tropius. Basically, it evolves into either a grass flying (the meganium/tropius ancestor)
    artflow_201812162236.png
    rsz_artflow_201812170049.png
    or grass ice (aurorus's true form, as it was before being brought back by fossilization)
    artflow_201812162353.png
    rsz_artflow_201812170051.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2020
    rsz_artflow_201812170335.png

rsz_artflow_201812170509.png

artflow_201812170337.png

201812170509.png
    Made some more concept sketches/ decent sprites.
    This time it's he common ancestor of Garchomp/Sharpedo. They look like they have a common ancestor, sharks that left the sea and became 'land sharks'

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2020
    My last post for the day, I'm signing off.
    Original Kabuto and Kabutops (based on the thylacocephala, as in aSpiders Pokedex.)
    I could also change the colours, let me know.
    artflow_201812170607.png
    rsz_artflow_201812170607.png
    And Kabutops
    201812170709.png
    rsz_201812170709.png

What should I do next ? Cheers!

ASpider

Amber Dev
    Years
  • Wow. Thank you. These are pretty amazing. Technically, I had some ideas for Sharpedo and Amaura in the game, but I am sure they could be changed with little work. For example, I could replace the Grass/Ice Roselia-line idea I had with the Amaura ancestor. This frees up a Pokemon slot in the Pokedex, which I could use to change my "Wandergrin" idea into a two-stage Giganotosaurus based on looneyman's idea for a sound-based Theropod. What do you say?

I'll guess the Sharpedo/Garchomp ancestor is meant to be a Water/Dragon? That space is a bit harder to fit, but I think I could make Arbok/Ekans Poison/Dragon. That should open up space. What do you think?

If you want to do more, I wanted Ice versions of the Pikachu line to be the Pokemon introduced by the Professor during the Intro (since she has cloned these Pokemon, and Ice Pikachu are meant to be the reward from her for catching 25 Pokemon). What do you say?

There is also a perfect space for a Common Ancestor in the Pokedex already now that I think about it. The Professor's reward for catching 100 Pokemon was going to be a Rock/Normal Slakoth representing the Xenarthrans' burrowing common ancestor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9tBtQoAHo). We could make it a Slakoth/Sandslash Ancestor, what do you think?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I figured would clarify my point before but the sound idea I mentioned was to convert sound-based special attacks into physical attacks with said ability, sort of like how abilities like Pixilate make normal attacks into fairy moves. Thus making the special attackin question work off the user's attack rather than special.

However the sound-based therapod would still be a good idea since Giganotosaurus was a much weaker predator than most tyrannosaurids due to a weaker bite and their knife-like teeth. So your idea may end up working better in the end. I think I got a good name for the giga pokemon in fact; Gigahertzaur, the gigahertz reffering to a measure of sound and Giga still ties into it's base animal. Likewise "Zaur" would be a corruption of the term "sauros".

Last edited:

CynicalHispanic

MC Ride Acolyte
    Years
  • Hey, are you still recruiting spriters? I'm not super experienced, but I can send some custom sprites I made for Pokemon Infinite Fusion as a resume of sorts lol. I really like this concept, being a big paleontology nerd myself, and I would be happy to help sprite in any way!

Back