• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Another World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Well, after getting quite a few people to sign on to my project here, I guess it's time to start displaying information on it. As it stands, the title is Pokemon: Another World. This, and pretty much anything else, could change through the course of creation.

This started as a joke between myself and my viewers on my JTV live stream and grew into a full project. There are some connections that exist that may not stand out unless you're a fan of my live stream.

POKEMON: ANOTHER WORLD​

STORY:

The main character's brother, a Pokemon Trainer, comes home to spend a few days. He talks about his travels throughout the world and the adventures he's had. After hearing all this, he decides to teach you how to battle with Pokemon, and catch some of your own. Setting out three of his Pokemon he recently caught, he lets you pick one, then takes you out into the wilderness to teach you how to battle and capture Pokemon. Afterwards, he mentions a tournament coming up, where the winner is given the title of Pokemon Master, and becomes enshrined in the Hall of Masters. After he leaves, your character decides to follow in his footsteps, and get to the tournament.

The tournament requires all trainers to have trained and beaten the 8 gyms throughout the land. This will direct your character through the game, but there will be a large amount of side quests and rewards for exploration that add to the game (see Info section for an explanation). You and your brother will meet up on many occasions throughout the game, training your way to the tournament.

INFO:

--The game is called Another World because it is completely separated from the other Pokemon realms. I wanted to do a custom creation game and adding the 490 or so that already exist would water down the existence of the new Pokemon, and in my mind would just be wasteful. With this being a new "world", so to speak, everything is unique to this game. No other Pokemon from any official game will be added, nor will there be any evos/pre-evos in this game that have connection to other existing Pokemon.

--No "rival" in place yet, but I would expect something to come up. I've got a few ideas, I just want to see which one sticks the best.

--Seeing as I hate things that are overdone, you will not get your Pokemon from a Professor. That's been overdone. As well, I'm probably going to keep out any evil organization from the game. Again, it's overused.

--The project is being done through RPG Maker XP's Pokemon Essentials kit, with possibly some extra modifications to the game. At this point in time, I have no modifications in and wont announce any until I've got them working in game.

--I have enlisted the help of a few Fakemon artists on DA to assist me with the game. Two right now that have given direct permission are Mssingno and Moonshaft. I also am considering using some creations of Cascade Gonpory, as his creations are shown as being open for use.

--Using file overwriting methods, I believe (not tested yet) I have a way to patch XP games with expansions. Right now I have about 5 different capabilities in place that can connect you to the new locations, all of which are locked at this point. Once I update the game, the map will change to having the event turned on and you'll be able to go wherever the new land is. This also means you don't have to continually start over again and again to get to the new locations. The only issue that may prevent this is the fact that it would be difficult to set up the new locations if people get Pokemon to lvl 100 and just breezed through.

--Gyms will ONLY be set in place for the first portion of the game. Expansions will have other storylines and events.

--Basing alot of enjoyment I got off of games like Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Fallout 3, I'm doing alot of rewarding for exploration and side quests.

--All Pokemon can be caught inside the game, but some may be extremely rare, difficult, or time consuming to get to. This includes starters. Most that are extremely rare will have chances come only once.

--I'm working on fixing the online trading system so people will be able to trade online.

--While the story itself is driven by getting to the tournament, and that in and of itself isn't a very compelling story, I felt that it was awkward if I FORCED players to go out of their way to do specific things. Granted, there still will be reasons people may not be able to advance right away, but most of the side/secret stuff wont be forced.

POKEMON:

As it stands, about 30 have been confirmed in the game. I'm trying not to use all of the artist's creations immediately, giving me a better ability to fill out the roster of Pokemon later on. We're probably closer to 70 or 80 that are right now definitely going to be in the first set.

A few confirmed (original images, haven't uploaded the in-game versions yet):

STARTERS:

In order...

Frungus
    Mushribbit
    Toadrule

Bufflow
    Brinalo
    Bisonami

Tinderloin
    Flambacon
    Infernoink

Magit

Springalop

Howulf

SIDE QUEST EXAMPLES:

To show what I mean by side stuff, I'll give you an example. There's a cave that's out of your way, with no direct reason to go inside. The cave is extremely deep, and will be difficult to battle through. It's believed that on the bottom floor, there are a few types of Pokemon unseen anywhere else (able to be captured multiple times) with one that has only been seen and never been captured. You don't need to go through this cave, you can pass it up completely, but if you're looking for rare pokemon or want to complete your Dex, you have that option.

Other locations, quests, collections, and events will give you alot of ability to enjoy the game fully if you enjoy completing everything there is in the game, giving rewards to exploring and doing things of your own free will, not by linear game flow forcing you to.

Maps:
    3 routes completed
    1 city/town completed
    ??? routes left
    13 cities/towns left
    ??? other locations left

Pokemon:
    10 pokemon sprited
    9 pokemon configured fully

Scripting:
    Online trading - testing
    Online battling - incomplete
    Expansions/Patches - testing

I will add more information as it comes to me. I'm hoping to get some screenshots and info later, but if you're really interested to see how things go, check out the live stream. I do all sorts of games (RPG of the week this week is FFIV) but spend about an hour or so showing development and going over what's been done with it. If you're interested, visit:

WillowPlays Live Stream

As well, if you want to see the artwork of those that are involved (directly or indirectly), here are their links:

Moonshaft
    MSSINGNO
    Cascade Gonpory

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2010
    dude you have my surport for this game plez keep up
    :)

EDIT: Any userbars?
    To show surport?

EDIT: Is there anything I can help you with?
    Spriting Maybe?
    Music?

EDIT: Any updates or screenshots maybe?

:O

Last edited:
    Years
  • My only complaint is that not all the pokemon are in the same style. Please fix this before you put them in the game or it will look bad.

Awan

Graphic Designer
    Years
  • WOW! really amazing fakemon you got there, Toadrule reminds me of ninja turtle lol~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back