• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon aren't cute! They're cold blooded killers.

The Great Saiyaman

Lets heat things up!
Years
    • Seen May 24, 2006
    I was skimming through a forum and reading post when I was scared out of my mind! It was a picture of a pokemon. Anyway, its about Magikarp. (Below is the post.)

"You know..Gyarados become sinister, cold hearted monsters due to the fact that as Magikarp, they were treated poorly by people due to their very poor intellect. Magikarp are worthless. Not only that..but they can be found everywhere - literally...as long as there's a water source..Anyway..They can't be eaten as they mainly consist of bone and have limited attacks. Most Magikarp just splash (flipping around) in battle and therefore always lose. When Magikarp evolves into Gyarados.. it's hatred for the people who mistreated it causes it to go insane. Therefore, most Gyarados are maniacal killers. Gyarados, since ancient times were known to go on violent bloody rampages lasting up to a month. Once awakened, they only seek to destroy and are incapable of calming down even after eliminating whatever or whoever angered them. Treat your Magikarp well or suffer Gyarados' rage."

I don't know why I was so shocked. But, I guess I had it in my mind that pokemon were cute and plushie... It makes me afraid of wild Gyarados. If Gyarados were to look like that in real life, just think about all of the other ones.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • That's not necessarily true, though. In the episode, "The Joy of Pokemon," for example, a Magikarp evolved in an effort to free (from the clutches of Team Rocket) the Nurse Joy who helped it. That particular Gyarados wasn't a cold-blooded killer. It was a kind Pokemon determined to reward Nurse Joy for taking care of it. Likewise, the Gyarados Misty owns in The Electric Tales of Pikachu is completely tame and doesn't wish to harm her. In fact, it allows her to pet it and obeys such simple commands as "get that guy's hat." (Incidentally, the image of Gyarados seen below comes from that very scene, in which Misty's Gyarados steals Ash's hat before his Gym match in Cerulean Gym.)

While there are some cases in which it's true that Magikarp has evolved out of hatred for the human race (e.g. James's first Magikarp, the one that became the red Gyarados in the anime, Misty's Gyarados in Adventures), not all Gyarados evolve for that reason. Some evolve naturally and unprovoked, and others evolve because they were trained carefully.

QlLA\/A

H0wling H0undooms
    Years
  • oh please, you think just because of a picture you think pokemon are killers! Gees, it is just a picture and it does not look like a killer, if you ask me it looks cool and just looks cool no matter what.

Lighten Up!!

Naminé

ナミネ..
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    To Naminé, it is only realistic if there are a few species of Pokemon that processes such *possible* degree of brutality. If that post writer tries to connect the world of Pokemon with the real world, then the Pokemon world in relative perspective remains more innocent and kind than this real. There are incidents where surfers lose their lives to dangerous sharks at sea. Poisonous animals, insects or spiders haunt different corners of the world. Even the simple bee can take the lives of those with allergies.

In a sense, even if Magikarps are not poorly treated by humans, Naminé thinks that it maybe necessary for Gyarados to act with such cruelity and terrifying strength in order to protect its breeding ground for the weak magikarps. If grown Magikarps are so pathetically weak, how weak are the Magikarps that are just given birth? Even though Magikarps are everywhere in any place with water, there is a rather limiting population number of Gyarados, meaning that a very few of them will ever survive long enough to evolve... Gyarados need any and every method to protect their kind and their pre-evolution form. An easy way to do this in Naminé's opinion is to guard their territory with unmatched brutality, so Magikarps will always have one final place to retreat to for safety if necessary.

Years
  • Gyarados, since ancient times were known to go on violent bloody rampages lasting up to a month. Once awakened, they only seek to destroy and are incapable of calming down even after eliminating whatever or whoever angered them.
    Orly? xD
    I think a picture is more than enough, and well, I think that others covered my opinion. Moreover, I think that evil stuff exist. Evil people are existing beside good people. But anyway, Pokemon are like animals, are all animals so cute? xD

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • I'm sure that in the alternate Pokemon world, not all Pokemon are happy and willing to accept anyone as their trainers. I'm sure that the species that seem happy on the show/manga can also have a few of its kind that could be killers. Yeah. If Pokemon were real, the whole 'cute cuddly BFF' idea wouldn't be as high, it'd probably be more dangerous.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Garouga! Bare Your Fangs! said:
    In the manga Pokemon look like killers. Sometimes, anyway.

It depends on the manga. In The Electric Tales of Pikachu, a lot of Pokemon look evil, yes, but Pokemon Adventures (especially the earlier volumes) has been known to make even a dead Psyduck look cute and cuddly. (This is, of course, based on opinion.)

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • Well if I was an innocent little Magikarp and people were constantly beating me senseless and disregarding my potential, I think I'd be just a little upset too and be more aggressive once I evolved into something more intimidating. XD

In truth this does not necessarily make Pokemon evil. In Magikarp's case it is merely misunderstood. The biased opinions of humans are what cause the retaliations by creatures like Pokemon (figuratively, of course), animals, other humans, etc. In general Pokemon are said to havecalm and kindly natures, but any action serves to provoke a reaction, thus an abused Gyarados goes on a rampage destroying cities and stuff. XD

Point. Set. And match. :O

~Kelsey

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • It's not just Magicarp that have that problem. Any Pokemon who's abused by humans is going to turn out like that. It's just like a dog or another person that's been kicked down one too many times. They snap.

True, they don't always snap into a severly violent state. Remember the Lapras from the Orange Island series? That little one was hurt pretty badly by humans, and it took the *coughpredictablecough* heroic actions of Ash to save it and make it see that not all Pokemon are bad.

Not all Garydos snap into violence either. In "Mewtwo Strikes Back," one of the trainers has a Garydos and pets it like a friend. No bloodshed at all. And then, in the Orange Island Series, when we first meet Professor Ivy, she's training a rather docile looking Garydos.

Big scary monster?

Please.

Pokemon turn out how you treat them. If you don't want an angry Garydos on your butt, then be nice to the Pokemon you're around. Simple as that.

The Great Saiyaman

Lets heat things up!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2006
    Now that same person sent me an e-mail. This time its about Haunter, I kinda figured he was evil. But, killing someone? The pokemon world is pretty scary... O.o

"If you get the feeling of being watched in total darkenss when no one is around, Haunter is there. In total darkness, where nothing is visible, it lurks, silently stalking its next victim. Its tongue is made of gas, yet by licking, it saps its victims life. It causes shaking that will not stop until the victim's demise. So if one beckons you, you must never approach it. On rare occasions after a windy night, a Haunter may be seen trapped in the day's shadows."

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Curiosity speaking, but if this kid sent you a message about how Pichu is dangerous because it can't control its electrical powers, are you automatically going to start thinking Pichu is out to get the human race too?

Seriously, though, what I don't like about this guy's arguments is that he doesn't cite canonical proof to back up his theories. While, yes, the Pokedex does state that a Haunter's lick can cause an incessant shaking that eventually leads to its victim's demise (see Yellow, Silver, and Ruby/Sapphire), it's also shown in the anime that Misty was licked but only collapsed out of unintentional paralysis, a natural side-effect of the attack Lick that Ash's Haunter didn't actually intend on inducing on her.

Other than that, think about it. If the Pokemon world was truly dangerous to such a violent degree, do you really think that they'd let preteens face it with only one of those "dangerous" monsters by their side? The Pokemon world can't be full of darkness and death, and not all Pokemon can be bloodthirsty enough to want to decimate the human race. While I can't state canonical proof of this opinion, I base it on logic. A loving mother would not let her child out into the world by himself if she wasn't completely (or almost completely) confident that he'd be fine.

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
  • Pokemons emotions are linked to the trainers or the people its around.
    If something is abused its going to grow up in hatred and strike out at someone.
    If something is loved and cared for its going to do the same to others.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Deen said:
    If something is abused its going to grow up in hatred and strike out at someone.

Or kill itself or simply die, depending on how it feels towards the abusive being and what species you're talking about.

The Great Saiyaman

Lets heat things up!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2006
    Kazeto Tamashii said:
    Curiosity speaking, but if this kid sent you a message about how Pichu is dangerous because it can't control its electrical powers, are you automatically going to start thinking Pichu is out to get the human race too?

I seriously got case for every pokemon. I have one for Pikachu and Jigglypuff.
    Now, Its possible to get shocked to death. Almost every pokemon could kill a human being. (Maybe not baby pokemon.) Mewtwo was another example of a death machine. But, some how Ash changed him. Like all of the other pokemon he in the past.

"Pikachu are ground-dwelling rodents with an affinity for electricity and lightning. They live in forests and plains, and forage for berries. The glandular pouches residing in its cheeks allow it to charge up and store electricity in chemical form, which it can discharge in bolts of lightning or ball lightning to defend itself from attackers. Pikachu are known to be powerful enough to bring down a skyscraper. If you run into wild Pikachu, keep your distance. A thunder attack full charged is enough to kill you."

If you haven't noticed by now its a joke topic...

Back