• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon as Satire

TheMightyShore

Skarmory 4 Life
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2020
    I noticed in Pokemon X that Team Flare's goal of beautification through purification is not so ridiculous a concept as it is an atrocious one; it's been attempted before by psychotic real-world dictators. That being said there is a tongue in cheek element to a big bearded man obsessed with beauty, not to mention the fact that Pokemon X exhibits a sense of constant beauty in terms of aesthetics.

My question is this: is Pokemon X/Y the first in the series to tackle real world satire as well as creating a vivid fantasy world? I cannot recall a previous game that felt this messagey without being preachy. I thought it's satire was really well done, but it made me wonder if this subtle satirization was in other games and I just may have missed it. Based on what I remember, previous teams were just faceless bad guys with arbitrary destructive goals.

Exoaria

such pokemon wow
    Years
    I think it's just Game Freak's attempt at writing the most child-friendly plot about mass murder that they can.

They've always tried to tackle these controversial issues of freedom and beauty and I think it's absolutely stupid that they should try and challenge a child's sense of morality like that. If they're going to make a mature plot they might as well make a mature plot and get it over with as opposed to this one-dimensional story of friendship and questionable baddies.

I don't think it's satire. Game Freak aren't trying to be that intelligent and political with these games no matter what light you put it in.

Back