• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Black Cinder

Years
  • Acupressure doesn't work. In a double battle, you are forced to choose one of the opposing Pkm or your other Pkm. Even after choosing a target, nothing happens, and you still have to choose one of your moves to attack.

As for the puzzle in the cell, it's extremely frustrating, especially for those who don't have good reflexes in their hands to quickly move the player from one plate to another. It's even more nightmarish when you consider you have to do it twice at the beginning to get the key and to change the direction. Personally, the small window that allows you to move the player is very, very small. Not even games like Reborn or Rejuvenation are that frustrating when it comes to moments where you have to move quickly in order to not get caught. Therefore, in order to not demotivate player and thus stopping from playing this game, I'd suggest to increase the time window.

Initially, I wanted to wait to write a review because I wanted to have as many impressions as possible, but with this teleport "puzzle" in the cell, I actually have to consider if I want to spend hours on it to progress, time that not everyone here has. I'm sorry. So, I'm going to do this review, now.

First of all, I like the attention to details. This world feels very big and is quite interesting from the many fangames I have seen so far. I like the humour, the main character is refreshing, and the reaver parts can be quite spooky. I have no idea why you included so many characters that are familiar to us, but I'm sure you have your reasons. Apropos characters, I noticed one of your comrades is a jerk. While I don't mind, I'd be careful when he uses insults. In some cases, you used "****", which is good as some people won't be triggered. But I would suggest to extend it to words that, for instance, insult gay people, or people who are not mentally intelligent enough, for lack of a better word.

Then, there's the first gym. While I managed to beat it on my second attempt, I find her team too OP. It restricts your team if you actually want to beat her, which I find very unhealthy, to be honest. Most of her Pkm already have high stats compared to the Pkm you catch and train. And if you add Fairy Wind which is not only buffed, but can also one-shot or two-shot even Pkm that resist the type due to Clefable high SpA compared to the Pkm you can have in the first gym, it's extremely unfair. There's also Togekiss which is the main offender due to ParaFlinch and its speed. If a player has a bad Rockruff, not even being on level 20 is enough to outpseed Togekiss after a speed drop and being able to survive a second Air Slash. The player must rely on luck and hope their Pkm won't get flinched even if they had an electric Pkm such as Luxio or Mareep's evolution to paralyse Togekiss. This is why, after having beaten the gym leader, I didn't find the battle satisfying; it relies on luck and the opness of the gym leader's Pkm.

On another note, it is, at least, somewhat easy to level-up your Pkm and change your team. You also spend much time between the gyms. Already, I have spend almost 30 hours on that game, and I haven't even had the chance to challenge the third game, though, I have yet to succeed in the cell. Anyway, I'm quite impressed how you managed to make us busy. The battle background is impressive as well. I could look at it the whole day.

On the second gym. To be honest, I find it much better than the first gym. It's more balanced and not too restrictive on your team. I just wonder why the leader would start with Poliwrath instead of a mono water Pkm because one of their Pkm is weak to Rock, and Poliwrath would actually resist it. Therefore, I think it would make more sense if Poliwrath weren't the first Pkm. But, of course, that's your choice.

Now, let's talk about money. Personally, I don't mind having so few money, but I think that this might cause many player a problem. So, they burned out all the money before a gym battle due to potions or Poké Ball. If the player has no Pkm that can learn Thief, he or she is unable to get money and catch any Pkm that might help them to defeat a gym leader or any other important battle. Thus, he's stucked and can't progress. This is even more dangerous when he's stucked on a ship or island and has to defeat this fire dude or dark dude. With a wrong team, he has no way to progress. It is things like these people should be careful about, I think. Always make sure a player has the chance to progress even if they did a mistake.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    Acupressure doesn't work. In a double battle, you are forced to choose one of the opposing Pkm or your other Pkm. Even after choosing a target, nothing happens, and you still have to choose one of your moves to attack.

As for the puzzle in the cell, it's extremely frustrating, especially for those who don't have good reflexes in their hands to quickly move the player from one plate to another. It's even more nightmarish when you consider you have to do it twice at the beginning to get the key and to change the direction. Personally, the small window that allows you to move the player is very, very small. Not even games like Reborn or Rejuvenation are that frustrating when it comes to moments where you have to move quickly in order to not get caught. Therefore, in order to not demotivate player and thus stopping from playing this game, I'd suggest to increase the time window.

Initially, I wanted to wait to write a review because I wanted to have as many impressions as possible, but with this teleport "puzzle" in the cell, I actually have to consider if I want to spend hours on it to progress, time that not everyone here has. I'm sorry. So, I'm going to do this review, now.

First of all, I like the attention to details. This world feels very big and is quite interesting from the many fangames I have seen so far. I like the humour, the main character is refreshing, and the reaver parts can be quite spooky. I have no idea why you included so many characters that are familiar to us, but I'm sure you have your reasons. Apropos characters, I noticed one of your comrades is a jerk. While I don't mind, I'd be careful when he uses insults. In some cases, you used "****", which is good as some people won't be triggered. But I would suggest to extend it to words that, for instance, insult gay people, or people who are not mentally intelligent enough, for lack of a better word.

Then, there's the first gym. While I managed to beat it on my second attempt, I find her team too OP. It restricts your team if you actually want to beat her, which I find very unhealthy, to be honest. Most of her Pkm already have high stats compared to the Pkm you catch and train. And if you add Fairy Wind which is not only buffed, but can also one-shot or two-shot even Pkm that resist the type due to Clefable high SpA compared to the Pkm you can have in the first gym, it's extremely unfair. There's also Togekiss which is the main offender due to ParaFlinch and its speed. If a player has a bad Rockruff, not even being on level 20 is enough to outpseed Togekiss after a speed drop and being able to survive a second Air Slash. The player must rely on luck and hope their Pkm won't get flinched even if they had an electric Pkm such as Luxio or Mareep's evolution to paralyse Togekiss. This is why, after having beaten the gym leader, I didn't find the battle satisfying; it relies on luck and the opness of the gym leader's Pkm.

On another note, it is, at least, somewhat easy to level-up your Pkm and change your team. You also spend much time between the gyms. Already, I have spend almost 30 hours on that game, and I haven't even had the chance to challenge the third game, though, I have yet to succeed in the cell. Anyway, I'm quite impressed how you managed to make us busy. The battle background is impressive as well. I could look at it the whole day.

On the second gym. To be honest, I find it much better than the first gym. It's more balanced and not too restrictive on your team. I just wonder why the leader would start with Poliwrath instead of a mono water Pkm because one of their Pkm is weak to Rock, and Poliwrath would actually resist it. Therefore, I think it would make more sense if Poliwrath weren't the first Pkm. But, of course, that's your choice.

Now, let's talk about money. Personally, I don't mind having so few money, but I think that this might cause many player a problem. So, they burned out all the money before a gym battle due to potions or Poké Ball. If the player has no Pkm that can learn Thief, he or she is unable to get money and catch any Pkm that might help them to defeat a gym leader or any other important battle. Thus, he's stucked and can't progress. This is even more dangerous when he's stucked on a ship or island and has to defeat this fire dude or dark dude. With a wrong team, he has no way to progress. It is things like these people should be careful about, I think. Always make sure a player has the chance to progress even if they did a mistake.

I'm sorry to hear that, thanks for playing the game anyway. Can you specify those insults I made?

Where can you find rare candies early on? I've been looking for a while and i don't want to buy one myself

There's one hidden in one of the streetlights at the first village

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hmm, I don't recall every moment, but I remember that this one jerk used
    Spoiler:
    several times. For example, when, after your second gym, you arrive near the city where your academy is. But before you can enter it, you have to team up with one of your friends/comrades and battle a duo.
    As for the other insult, I don't remember anymore.^^

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    Hmm, I don't recall every moment, but I remember that this one jerk used
    Spoiler:
    several times. For example, when, after your second gym, you arrive near the city where your academy is. But before you can enter it, you have to team up with one of your friends/comrades and battle a duo.
    As for the other insult, I don't remember anymore.^^
    I didn't know that word, but I may have used faggot, that I thought it meant idiot or some random insult. I'll change it now. Thanks for telling me

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    Yeah I see, it also changed my post. I just removed that word for another. Thanks again for telling me

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    omg i think i hit the end of the game? :( after the Aruna gym challenge, there is that convo about this being a beta T_T and that there is nothing left. Are you still working on it ? please say yes. HAHA also after the words goodbye trainer i couldn't save the game and the screen blacked out and played some music. is that normal?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    omg i think i hit the end of the game? :( after the Aruna gym challenge, there is that convo about this being a beta T_T and that there is nothing left. Are you still working on it ? please say yes. HAHA also after the words goodbye trainer i couldn't save the game and the screen blacked out and played some music. is that normal?

Ha ha yes that's the end of the game! Thank you so much for playing! I'm working in another game right now, but it's shorter and when I finish it I'll continue this one!

And yes, that's normal, you can't save because there is something that will happen after the final conv

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2020
    So i just downlaoded this game and I went to fiddle with some of the options when I got a weird script error or something, forcing me to close out of the game. So I can't make the screen bigger, I can't change the difficulty of the game, or anything. And presently the game screen/window is way too small for me to see properly, even with glasses on. I downloaded the game from the link on the first page in this thread.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    So i just downlaoded this game and I went to fiddle with some of the options when I got a weird script error or something, forcing me to close out of the game. So I can't make the screen bigger, I can't change the difficulty of the game, or anything. And presently the game screen/window is way too small for me to see properly, even with glasses on. I downloaded the game from the link on the first page in this thread.

It crashes if you use the menu in the intro, but not when you are in game. I'll fix it for the next update, thanks

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2021
    Is that happening when you open the game for the first time, when you load or when you select a new game?
    The savefile is Game.rxdata located at C:\Users\(Your name)\Saved Games\Pokemon Black Cinder
    Musharna, beldum, alakazam if you have a linkstone... Also Gothitelle with competitive is good and evolves before the third gym.

When i open it for the first time and try to change any of the predeterminated configurations of the game that appear and close the game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2021
    i dont know if it is just me or what but most of the time, its the night in the game and because of that i cant see everything

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    i dont know if it is just me or what but most of the time, its the night in the game and because of that i cant see everything

Yeah, there are more people who also complained about that. For now the only way of making it lighter is adjusting the brightness in your pc :S

There's a bug where you can't use the menu in the game intro, but you can use it ingame

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2019
    Hi, great game! Pretty cool story, nice dialogues, great quests, awesome soundtrack. 👌 The only cons I have about this game is that there's no "speed up" button, that would have saved me hours, literally. And the puzzles are kind of a minor one, but that puzzle game to leave Talpa forest was mean, man hahahah I had to check a walkthrough. There are a few bugs also, a few times I crashed, but so far it's not a major problem, I just keep saving the game now and it's all cool. Great game.

I'm having a problem right now, about the "Lost Dog" quest. I find the "dog"/furfrou, I go the opposite side and "catch" him with the poké ball or just defeat him, but no matter what happens after that, he's still there. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? I come back to the girl, and she acts like nothing happened, her dog's still missing.

Back