• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokemon Cardinal, An entierly open world experiance

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    So some time ago, I played Crystal Clear, an enjoyable rom hack that turned Kanto and Johto into a pure open world where one could start anywhere, collect any badges in any order, and just enjoy the world at large. If I were to take that same concept, apply it to a custom region, and relegate story elements to pure optional interactions, would people find this concept enjoyable? regardless of your stance, for or against, tell me why you have your stance on this idea.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    the idea is great! i am making an open world game myself so i know how hard it is, our projects probably won't be any Breath of the Wild, but will be great Nonetheless.

But, i have to ask, why "Cardinal"?

Also,also, there's this Poketuber making a Pokemon Cardinal too and he is very loud about that, are fan games allowed to have same name?

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
    the base concept is a pure open world with 4 sets of gyms across 4 regions, the 5th region in the center connecting them all, and each region is located in one of the 4 Cardinal directions. that's the only real reason I chose this name, am a simple man after all

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    Welp... im going in something like this, but for my post game...

Years
    After designing a full set of Gym Leaders, it should be easy to copypaste stronger and weaker versions of their team for the player to fight depending on the number of badges they have accumulated.

I'd recommend leaning into the open world aspect by making the max level 50, putting a Day Care and rematchable team of Healing Wish Blisseys in every Pokemon Center, and causing the Pokemon found in the wild around a defeated Gym Leader to level up by changing the Encounter Table after that Gym Leader is defeated. This way, each Gym Leader can have teams of Lv50 Pokemon.

The first few Gym Leaders could use no items and have a few Pokemon missing from their team. Later Gym Leaders could use item-free versions of their full team. And the final Gym Leader would fight you at full strength.

If you then require the player to go back and rematch every Gym Leader at full strength for a "Gold Badge" Key Item for the right to fight the Champion, instead of making a full Victory Road+Elite Four+Champion, that would save time. Perhaps a central hub designed to be full of convenient things a competitive Pokemon trainer could want would make the best "End Location", and the player could choose to start start in different locations around the central hub.

Back