• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Contests Script 1.6 [18.dev]

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    The game freezes only during the movement part, and I have just reinstalled the script but it still happens.

Years
    • Seen today
    The game freezes only during the movement part, and I have just reinstalled the script but it still happens.
    At first glance this sounds like a move route not completing and the game getting stuck at "Wait for Move completion".
    Try to make sure nothing interferes with the moveroute you define in the event. To err on the safe side of caution, set through on at the start of the move routes and off at the end so the character walks through any obstacles it might encounter. Let me know how that turns out.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    vanilla 18.1 summary page should work perfectly fine.
    Here's a little unpolished script I have so far that allows you to display the contest moves values in the summary screen.
    It could use some filler art but that's not my strong suit.
    Spoiler:

Hello!

Im guessing this goes above main, or does it replace the summary script?

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    vanilla 18.1 summary page should work perfectly fine.
    Here's a little unpolished script I have so far that allows you to display the contest moves values in the summary screen.
    It could use some filler art but that's not my strong suit.
    Spoiler:

Hello Again!

This works great, however I have a couple of suggestions and a bug.
    Before continuing I do want to say thanks for all your support and just want to help improve things for others, the work you have put in is great and I greatly appreciate it.

BUG: Once you view the moves contest form and go back out all the text changes font: https://imgur.com/a/OKdqo0s

Possible addition: An addition you could add (again, not forcing you to add just suggesting) is the view of all moves as the names disappear: https://imgur.com/a/6uwOUnH

Thanks a bunch

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello Again!

This works great, however I have a couple of suggestions and a bug.
    Before continuing I do want to say thanks for all your support and just want to help improve things for others, the work you have put in is great and I greatly appreciate it.

BUG: Once you view the moves contest form and go back out all the text changes font: https://imgur.com/a/OKdqo0s

Possible addition: An addition you could add (again, not forcing you to add just suggesting) is the view of all moves as the names disappear: https://imgur.com/a/6uwOUnH

Thanks a bunch

I updated the script to use the correct font now and moved the description a couple pixels down to fit the lines.
    I also changed the control scheme to be default left or right key to flip move descriptions. (can still be changed though if you want to)
    Pasted it below here as well in the spoiler tags.

Yup, I'm aware it looks a bit buggy at the moment. I really should dive into it more but I'm working on a different project at the moment. I may revisit it in the future though to clean things up.
    (unless someone else makes something amazing)
    The summary screen is a bit fickle to write code for and I'm not really familiar with that part of the engine (yet).

The current layout is as it is right now because it would freak out the move names and pokemon names when switching pokemon so I simply opted to not draw those when viewing contest stats.
    I admit it could definitely look better though.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    I updated the script to use the correct font now and moved the description a couple pixels down to fit the lines.
    I also changed the control scheme to be default left or right key to flip move descriptions. (can still be changed though if you want to)
    Pasted it below here as well in the spoiler tags.

Yup, I'm aware it looks a bit buggy at the moment. I really should dive into it more but I'm working on a different project at the moment. I may revisit it in the future though to clean things up.
    (unless someone else makes something amazing)
    The summary screen is a bit fickle to write code for and I'm not really familiar with that part of the engine (yet).

The current layout is as it is right now because it would freak out the move names and pokemon names when switching pokemon so I simply opted to not draw those when viewing contest stats.
    I admit it could definitely look better though.

Spoiler:

Hello!

That's fine! Thanks a bunch for all the help. I am not very good at coding atm (if you couldnt tell) but I am leaning in towards learning the scripitng language to develop some of my own scripts.

Thanks a bunch for helping me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    I removed the "Wait for Move completion" and set the though on every page of the event, but it still freezes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    Hello!

Sorry to be a bother again, but during the contest when a Pokémon first appears they appear with a gap at the bottom but when the move animation plays they snap to the correct position. I tried fixing the problem myself but I couldn't find the solution. Also when the player chooses a Pokémon to compete in the contest lobby is there a way to later refer to which Pokémon they chose inside of the ShowPokemonIntro script? I've tried $game_variable[2] and \V[2] where the species name would go but it doesn't work.

Any help?

I removed the "Wait for Move completion" and set the though on every page of the event, but it still freezes.

Which event are you talking about?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hello!

Sorry to be a bother again, but during the contest when a Pokémon first appears they appear with a gap at the bottom but when the move animation plays they snap to the correct position. I tried fixing the problem myself but I couldn't find the solution. Also when the player chooses a Pokémon to compete in the contest lobby is there a way to later refer to which Pokémon they chose inside of the ShowPokemonIntro script? I've tried $game_variable[2] and \V[2] where the species name would go but it doesn't work.

Any help?

Which event are you talking about?

I believe the pokemon moving was intentional on part of the original script. It tries to convey the idea of the pokemon stepping up and down the stage to perform its move.
    I'll personally leave it as is, but if you want you can edit the x and y values at pbPositionPokemonSprite and below to change the location the pokemon is drawn at.

The game variable doesn't store the pokemon, but its id in the party.
    Use $Trainer.party[$game_variables[2]] to reference it. Then use .species and .name for the species and nickname respectively.

Have you made the player through though?
    Change the move routes to include "through on" at the start and "through off" at the end.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    I did it all like this and it still doesn't work.

Attachments

• Pokemon Contests Script 1.6 [18.dev]
      p1.png
      17.2 KB · Views: 11
      p2.png
      20 KB · Views: 8
      p3.png
      20.4 KB · Views: 4
      p4.a.png
      26.8 KB · Views: 3
      p4.b.png
      26.5 KB · Views: 6
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    Not at home rn but try removing the pbspecies:: part.

I tried that but I get the error:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    [Pokémon Essentials version 18.1]

Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 21 (coords 12,11), map 6 (Contest Hall):

Exception: TypeError

***Full script:

Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("First up is
    \PN...!"))
    showSpeciesIntro($Trainer.party[$game_variables[2]].species)

Backtrace:

Interpreter:197:in `pbExecuteScript'

(eval):3:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1458:in `eval'

Interpreter:1458:in `command_355'

Interpreter:359:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:155:in `update'

Interpreter:102:in `loop'

Interpreter:158:in `update'

Scene_Map:162:in `follow_update'

Backtrace:

Interpreter:246:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:160:in `loop'

Scene_Map:169:in `follow_update'

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    I meant that I changed the move routes after the glitch; they were the same as the downloaded map when it all happened.

Years
    • Seen today
    I tried that but I get the error:

Pokemon Essentials
    [Pokémon Essentials version 18.1]

Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 21 (coords 12,11), map 6 (Contest Hall):

Exception: TypeError

***Full script:

Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("First up is
    \PN...!"))
    showSpeciesIntro($Trainer.party[$game_variables[2]].species)

Backtrace:

(eval):3:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1458:in `eval'

Backtrace:

Interpreter:246:in `pbExecuteScript'

Scene_Map:160:in `loop'

Scene_Map:169:in `follow_update'

Change the variable number to the one you used to store the party index in rather than the pokemon name.
    The first number in your pbChoosePokemon.
    For example $game_variables[49] if you used the same one as used in the main script:
    Code:
    showSpeciesIntro($Trainer.party[$game_variables[49]].species,nil,[$game_variables[2]])

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    Hello!

Thanks a bunch for all the help! Really appreciate it!
    Also I wanted to have the text say "With [Pokémon name or nickname]!" but I'm not sure how to have the showSpeciesIntro script inside of the display text.

Thanks for everything

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hello!

Thanks a bunch for all the help! Really appreciate it!
    Also I wanted to have the text say "With [Pokémon name or nickname]!" but I'm not sure how to have the showSpeciesIntro script inside of the display text.

Thanks for everything

I'm not sure what you mean? The showspeciesintro already uses the pokemon name/nickname.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2020
    Hello!

It is because I wanted text around the name of the Pokémon but that means the variable is in between two peices of text I tried this:

"With" showSpeciesIntro "!"
    To try and make the text box say the name invetween:
    E.G if I chose Pikachu it would say "With pikachu!" In the text box under the species box.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello!

It is because I wanted text around the name of the Pokémon but that means the variable is in between two peices of text I tried this:

"With" showSpeciesIntro "!"
    To try and make the text box say the name invetween:
    E.G if I chose Pikachu it would say "With pikachu!" In the text box under the species box.

In the species intro script, at line 36 and 38, you'll have the dialogue being displayed under the picture.
    Just put "With" before both {1}s

I think that solves your issue?

Back