• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokemon Decolonized

Do you enjoy this fannon of pokemon? Would you read other pokemon fics in this fannon world?

• Yes and No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No and Yes

• No and No

• Total voters

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
  • Pokemon Decolonized

Pokemon Decolonized

By: Jason Wolf, A PROJECT: Toaster production​

Content Warnings: Violence, minor gore, minor use of language. Secondary warnings are given before each chapter with distinct amounts of these.

Writer's Warning: This story contains: Exposition, my terrible sense of humor,
    puns, meatloaf, matriculations, and has an associated textbook. If you are allergic to any of these please see a doctor before reading.​

"Would you forsake your child in the name of progress? Would you forget your mother for the sake of progress? Would you betray your friend for the sake of progress? Then how can we do this to the Pokemon who got us here? What gives us the right or the reason to destroy not only our mother earth and fail our Pokemon friends but deny our children the future they deserve? It must end here. We can't turn back the clock, but my friends we can make a new future, A future that saves Pokemon and ourselves. To do that we have to give up our petty ways and relearn the respect that fostered our growth. It will not be easy, and the costs are high. My generation has failed this earth, and so we leave it to the next. We go to where we can do no harm, an exile for our failures. You true children of the earth who have proven your dedication to a new mission. To save what we lost. I know that together you and your Pokemon can save this world. Do not doubt, do not despair. With your Pokemon at your side, you can do anything. Arceus forgive us and be with you." – Arthur Neil, Farewell Address

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue: Monsters

Warnings: Violence, gore​

You'd think in a world full of monsters everyone would be afraid. That we'd cower and hide and run. Some do, but not everyone can stand idly by. There are few that stand up and face the dangers of the world head on for the sake of those who can't. Many call us brave. I thought I was. Nothing could have possibly made me brave -enough to handle the sight of my best friend lying in a pool of his own blood his left leg blown off, his right broken in three places, and too many other injuries to count. Terror filled my body and froze me solid. I couldn't move. I couldn't think. I wanted to run away. I wanted to run to him. I wanted to fall down and cry, but I could only look upon the consequences of my failure as a friend and as a Ranger.

Mike and Alice, my friends and coworkers, and I had reported in for a normal call. Just another monster moving a bit too close to town for people to be comfortable. It was just a teddiursa, a little omnivore, though that usually meant its momma Ursaring wasn't far behind, so we went over without another thought. We would shoo it away, and if anything went wrong it didn't matter we were top of our rank. Our training taught us everything and prepared us for anything after all. That training manual always felt a bit thin in hindsight. When we arrived the ursaring was dead, mauled, and largely eaten while the teddiursa was nowhere to be seen. Not too far away standing in front of a trail of fallen trees was a dragon tall enough that it breached the canopy. It's brownish green scales let it blend into the expansive forest like a growlithe in tall grass. It was almost like it had materialized right in front of us. Dragons were not meant to exist here. They were supposed to be extinct in this region, yet one was staring us down with blood dripping from its bladed maw. Yet another image that I've never been able to purge from my mind.

I'm not sure if it was valor or foolishness that made us attempt to fight the beast. As Rangers, we had tamed and trained teams of these Pokemon to help us. Altogether there were over twenty-five of us: Three trained rangers, and twenty-four Pokemon. The dragon tore us apart in minutes. Everyone was battered, bruised, slashed, and bloodied. We sent Alice to go get the other rangers while we tried to stall the dragon just a little longer. I could barely stay standing at that point, so Mike charged in. He and his partner Pokemon Aeron, an aerodactyl, were a force to be reckoned with. They gave the dragon a real fight. Riding on Aeron's back as he flew around the beast Mike was able to precisely guide the Aerodactyls attacks letting them outsmart the dragon. Even then it couldn't last forever. They had to execute everything perfectly. The dragon only needed on hit. The dragon Pokemon roared and a purple energy began to build in its mouth. A huge laser fired off hitting Mike and Aeron. While Aeron had his natural protection as a Pokemon, Mike was a human and the attack disintegrated his left leg. The two fell from the sky with a horrible thud and crack.

We only survived because of the Ranger head, and pretty much every other ranger in the town showed up. They were able to drive the dragon off, but for us, it was too late. Everyone would live, but I almost wished I hadn't. Most of my injuries were bad and would have me laid up for weeks, but Mike was clinging to the very edge of life. He was in ICU for over a week. People were certain he'd die, and in a sense he did. He pulled through the injuries, but he never recovered. Mike wasn't the same person in the slightest. I saw a great leader, a courageous fighter, and my best friend become a cold distant hermit. Meanwhile, I was suddenly given his responsibilities whether I wanted them or not. I had become the best ranger in town short of the leaders, and yet I didn't really change at all save for one thing. I was terrified of that dragon and the calamities it wrought.

==================================================================

==================================================================

Chap. 1
    GR. Jaklo Wight and The New World​

Warnings: about 4 swear words, what could be considered gore​

A low, but booming roar echoed through the woods. Everything shook, the trees shuddered, the ground became unsteady, and my very bones felt like rubber. I looked around trying to find the cause, because I knew that roar as much as my own voice. The dragon had come back. The forest was misty and dark. If I was lucky it wouldn't be able to see me. I couldn't see it either though. I could try to run, but a Ranger shouldn't run. It was my job to fight, but what chance did I have? The roar sounded again, but it was much closer. I had no time to think. I sprinted as fast as I could in a blind panic. All I knew was fear. With luck the fog would cover me let me get far away. I wasn't like Mike. I wasn't strong enough.

Ahead there was a tall evergreen with a hole near the bottom probably a burrow of some sort. I squirmed in desperate to hide. It was a tight fit, but manageable. I peered out at the forest floor waiting and watching. The roar echoed out again and again. Every time I heard it I sunk back deeper into the burrow. Soon I heard its footsteps. Each one rocked me to the core. The shaking was so intense it actually shook up my breathing and made me cough trying to get air back in. The steps sped up until the sound was right on top of me. With one more thunderous step the dragon's foot landed right in front of my face. I wriggled and struggled trying to go back further. Something underneath me came loose and I started falling down into darkness.

Everything was inky blackness now. No matter what direction I looked, even down at myself, I saw nothing. A single word began to echo in my head: Coward. It repeated over and over again nagging at me. Voices of my friends, my family, of everyone began to jeer and shout at me.

"Coward!"
    "Fraud!"
    "Strip his rank!"
    "Exile him!"

"Shut up! I'm not a coward!" I shouted back

"Then why did you abandon me?" It was a single voice now.

I looked up to see Mike crippled and bloody on the ground staring at me.

"Mike! I didn't leave. I just… I wasn't strong enough. I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough!"

"You're just a pathetic coward. You did this to me. It's your fault!" He shouted.

The voices came again screaming and roaring. I collapsed curling into a ball.

"No. I didn't. I'm not." I muttered trying to endure the onslaught.

"Noc tou Noc!" I heard a new singular voice cutting through the jeers.

Looking up I saw my Noctowl, Lucas. Why was he here now?

"Noc tou woo." He cooed putting a wing over me.

His eyes glowed purple and the darkness began to fade to light.

I opened my eyes seeing Lucas standing next to me with his eyes still glowing. It was another nightmare. Noctowl's had psychic powers letting them quell or cause nightmares and dreams, so Lucas had been helping me deal with them. I patted Lucas on the head giving a weak smile. He nuzzled up against my hand happy to see me up and moving again.

"Thanks buddy. Good thing you're used to taking night shifts. You should get some rest now. I'll be fine." I told him followed by a long yawn and sigh.

He tilted his head not so certain.

"Don't worry. First one in what? four weeks? I call a month between nightmares a success at this point. Now I gotta go to work." I said not letting him stop me now.

Lucas had to oblige and let me get up. I opened up a small dresser and got one of my uniforms out before climbing down from the sleeping loft. Going underneath I entered the cramped bathroom. Minimalism wasn't just an idea here in many ways it was life and others the law. I took care of my business in there very quickly and got dressed. The attire was simple, but we needed it to be wearable more than elegant. For guys it consisted of cargo pants, a two tone shirt that matched the town's colors, and some heavy duty boots. I always wore a cap as well, but that wasn't required. Girls had basically the same uniform, but their shirts are cut longer to give a kind of fake skirt look. The original rangers just used police uniforms, so we modeled the modern design to hint to those, but be better suited for this world.

My thoughts went to the first time I put my uniform on. I was so excited. I had made something of myself. I went from Jaklo Wight fruit picker to Ranger Jaklo Wight. I was living the dream then. Now putting it on felt like painting a target on my back. I always knew the risks, but until you actually are at risk you won't fully grasp it. Even then I kept moving. I ate breakfast before going to round up my Pokemon.

I went to the barn built behind my house. It was a rugged wooden structure, like everything else in the town. I pulled open the door and was hit by the smell that came with keeping Pokemon. I coughed and mocked a vomit.

"Damn it guys. How many times have I told you to keep the door open some." I groaned backing up a step.

There was a general tone of grunts and groans dismissing my comment. Most of my team was off at the ranch, an open region set aside to let ranger Pokemon live in when we didn't need them. For now Tex, my Lairon, Rath, my houndour, and Yanso, my grovyle and partner were here with me. Rath was curled up in the corner by a little wood burning stove that we used during the winter. He was looking up to me only vaguely interested. He was far more of a night Pokemon, so he was probably just getting to sleep now. He would get up when I needed him, but more than likely he'd be fine to rest now. He had been working days for the last week, so he deserved some time off. I'd switch him with Plasum, my haunter. Tex was the next to acknowledge me. He lumbered out of a little pen and sat down in front of me with a thud.

"Larr." He grunted sitting down at my feet.

"Yanso? You up there?" I called looking up to the loft.

After a moment I climbed up there, but he wasn't there. I wasn't sure where he could be now. He had been rather strange since the dragon as well. He was off in multiple ways. Most notably he kept running off and showing back up with some sort of injury. They weren't even normal or logical ones. Burns inside his mouth, signs of electric shock, and one time he even had four symmetrical puncture wound on his forearms that he refused to explain. I tried everything I could to make him stop, but he wouldn't do that, much less tell me what was happening. When he was here he was pretty normal, but it didn't quell my worries.

I stepped outside and blew a piercing whistle. A minute or two passed and Yanso came walking slowly. He was nursing his left arm, but I couldn't see any external injury when he got closer.

"If you didn't keep coming back hurt. I wouldn't care what you do when we aren't working." I told him looking over the arm.

He winced when I touched took his limb to get a better look. I pulled a medical spray, that we called potions as slang, off my belt and used it on a large bruise that had formed. I grilled Yanso over what he was doing, but he just looked away and grumbled.

"I don't know what you are doing or where you are going. How are we supposed to be partners when you won't talk to me?"

He dismissed my concern waving a hand and let out a dry chuckle. My best hope was that he didn't want me to worry, but how couldn't I? I was starting to understand how my parents must have felt when I started Ranger training. I didn't see my Pokemon as children, but I had a responsibility to lead them. For now I had to simply bare that. Short of keeping Yanso locked up there was nothing I could do. I made him get into his pokeball at the very least so he could rest. He pressed his hand on the front of the sphere pushing in a tiny button. It sprung open and a red light shot out. Yanso vanished in the light as it was pulled back into tiny red gems scattered around the inside of the ball. I clipped the ball onto my belt before getting Tex stowed away as well. I would get other Pokemon for my team after the morning meeting. Equipped but not ready I headed off.

The walk to HQ took me from the edge of town, where my cabin acted as a sort of outpost, to the very center. The HQ stood above all the other buildings. It's three story metal and glass facade visible from most places. While it was nothing compared to the buildings of the old world it was a monolith to people today. It was part military base, part bunker, part town hall, and part hospital. It was the center of life really. Around that were the artisans and merchants. We weren't a capitalistic people, but everyone deserved to earn wages and to spend those wages on whatever they wanted. It was a down to earth highly personal kind of commerce. Before I even got there I had a few acres of farmland to go past. The entire outer ring of Letchworth was farmland, ranches, and orchards. I had grown up on an apple orchard, so the sights of freshly tilled soil and budding trees was always a nice sight in the morning. I spotted an old family friend struggling to pick up a big basket of pink apricorns and decided I had enough time to stop by for a chat.

"Mr. Faln, didn't Dr.Runstad say you're not to carry things heavy things anymore?" I said while lifting the basket.

"Just because I'm not supposed to doesn't mean I have a choice in the matter. We're always short handed for the spring harvests. They always steal my boys to plant the fields." He grumbled.

"Well they usually get that taken care of pretty fast. I can check in for you if you'd like. See if they can spare a few more for your orchard."

"That'd be a real help."

I brought the basket back to the drop off point. I was about to give Mr. Faln another warning, but I was cut off by an extremely loud whistle.

"So much for getting to the office early." I grumbled, "Mr. Faln if you could please head inside until the all clear."

"Go get'em boyo." He told me before heading into the storehouse.

I ran off towards the sound's source. There were a lot of workers heading the exact opposite direction. The whistle kept sounding in rapid bursts. I came across the reason for the alert. A beedrill was chowing down on some baskets of apricorns.

"Tex, up and at'em." I called summoning my Lairon.

The beedrill looked up from its feast and threatened me jabbing its needles in my direction.

"Move on, or we'll force you out." I demanded.

The beedrill chattered its mandibles refusing. It took flight and lunged at Tex and I. Tex slammed his front feet into the ground sending up a spray of stones that pelted the beedrill. It turned stinger and flew off. Tex and I made a quick sweep for any signs of a nest or young. It seemed to have just come for a bite. It'd stay away for now. No meal is worth getting hurt for. Even if it did there'd be more rangers on patrol to handle future problems.

I eventually arrived at the Ranger HQ in the center of town and reported for briefing. I was a sort of middle rank as far as Rangers went. There were two standard ranks lower, bronze and silver, and two higher platinum and diamond. The only other ranks were for special heroes who served with exemplary courage and valor. As a gold ranger I received very different work from the silver and below. They would usually get patrol routes for a month or two occasionally groups would go on little quick recons and pick ups. Silvers sometimes were support for Golds, but normally just had regular duties.

I headed up to the top floor where Tyler, the Ranger Head, had his office and the meeting room. I was the first person to make it there that morning. I sat down at the massive table. It had been cut from a massive tree that was felled at the founding of Letchworth. Half of the log had been made into the Ranger Head's desk while the other was here used at the conference table. The semicircle let the ranger head be equidistant from all of us, but still be clearly in charge of the situation. There were five chairs around the curved side one for all of the gold and higher Rangers.

Maria was the next to arrive her heels clicking distinctly on the wooden floors. While I wore a field uniform on most occasions she always was in her official regalia, a nearly knee length white dress with green and gray details, short sleeves, and a high collar. Ranger's after all needed to show their dignity and power. Usually the full regalia was worn for conferences between ranger groups from different settlements and two holidays: memorial and founders' day. When she came in I nodded to her in acknowledgement, but stayed quiet. We were more business associates than friends. There was certainly no animosity, but we simply didn't exist in the same circles. She sat down across the large oak table and took off her glasses before opening up a pokedex.

Everything was quiet short of the little clicks of keys on devices until Paul arrived. He was the second in command for all intents and purposes. He was the scary uncle to all the Rangers. While he wasn't so bad if you stayed on his good side, his appearance still scared bronze and oak rangers stiff. He was a tall built man who embraced the wilderness all around us. His entire left arm had been replaced with a prosthetic that only added to the intimidation factor. Originally we hoped that Mike could use one, but his left leg's nerves had been too badly damaged. Paul was accompanied by his partner Pokemon Syan, a crobat. The Pokemon roosted on a cabinet in the corner wrapping its wings around itself. Paul seemed ill prepared to pass the time and instead turned to us,

"So either of you get anything interesting done last week?" He asked having just returned from a short trip up to Rushing, a small village that fell under our jurisdiction.

"No, not really. I've been up to the usual things." I sighed," Nothing special."

"Well I had a lovely week. Finally got Tyler to review the equipment ledgers, and I had a wonderful dinner with Simon." Maria joined in very pleased with herself.

Paul just looked at her unamused. While Maria and I didn't travel in the same circles Paul and Maria traveled in nearly opposite circles. Paul was a rugged man of the land. He was a fifth generation Ranger his direct ancestry going back to one of the founders. Sure Maria was related to Tyler, but he was an outlier and married in. Most of Maria's family were shopkeepers and craftsmen. It was interesting to see someone like her get this far. She didn't have the same mentality as a lot of us. Typically Rangers were nature people who grew up on the edges. The artisan families rarely had children who joined the Rangers. There are debates on why: maybe it's since artisan families tend to have less kids and need someone to carry on the family shop? It could be the inner city mentality that they aren't as close to the wilds. No one can say for sure.

Maria simply rolled her eyes back to her pokedex. I sipped my canteen and continued working. Alice and Tyler arrived at the same time. Both were discussing something before entering the room, but I couldn't make much out besides their voices. They entered the room and sat down one after the other. The table being a half circle put all of us lower ranking rangers around the RH. Tyler was one of the better RH's we had in Letchworth. He was old enough to be wise, but young enough to still do work. He wouldn't be young forever. Gray was creeping into his hair and he'd missed a few days from issues. Tyler was the kind of guy who'd only miss something if he literally couldn't move. I always wondered in the back of my mind who could replace him.

For now I had other things to think about. Alice sat down next to me on the end of the table. We smiled to each other knowing we'd talk after the meeting about "us stuff". We had a lot of responsibility that came before ourselves. I opened a new word document to take meeting notes.

"Good morning everyone." Tyler began placing a tablet on the table, "It's good to see you home safely Paul. Everything has gone well in Rushing I assume?"

"About as well as they could. Their demolition plans for the ruins seem sound. They don't think they'll need any assistance if urban Pokemon become provoked. The area is very fringe and they haven't seen many Pokemon there at all much less a threat." Paul reported sounding far too official for how he looked.

"Very good. Been a long while since anyone has done some reclamation. Let's not forget that those urban areas are also valuable habitats for Pokemon. Our world needs a certain balance of the natural and urban areas." Tyler noted reminding us even though we all knew that very well, "Anyway on to current matters."

"All minor assignments have been handed out already. Maurice took the one I posted this morning." Maria said.

"Makes getting to our work much easier. Alice, Jaklo, I'm sending you to the north end. We need to check on the status of the Museum and Inn before we send people back up there. Normally I'd have lower rangers do this, but something in their report concerned me about that snowstorm."

During the winter a storm hit the area that forced us to evacuate people from the north end of the park where some historic sites were preserved. I had seen the reports myself, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I wasn't going to turn down a possibly easy mission though. A day off never hurt. Even if it wasn't it'd just be a normal day. I had visited the historic sites a couple times. Funny to think these sites lasted this long yet the cities were collapsing. We tended to them carefully wanting to preserve the important history of humanity.

"Alright. I'll prep some gear for the area." I said thinking of a couple things I'd like to have ready for this trip.

"I'll go pick up Agro from the Ranch. I met him down there at the falls. He'll notice anything odd." Alice said having formulated a plan.

Tyler sent us on our way. I hurried to the armory to grab a pair of thermal goggles. I had become quite keen on them for tracking sneaky prey. Alice and I met up outside and began to discuss ongoings while we walked.

"So I was gonna pick up stuff to make meatloaf tonight. You wanna come over?" i asked casually.

"As romantic as meatloaf sounds I don't know if I can tonight. I have so much paperwork to get through. Why is it that we have to make a thirty page file for every Pokemon we catch?" She sighed looking to me like I had some better answer.

"I dunno. Gotta keep track of the Pokemon we have somehow." I shrugged taking her hand and squeezing it.

"Isn't that Slate's job? Why can't I just make one of his techs do it?" She replied still upset.

"How about this you bring the paperwork tonight and we'll get it done together?" I suggested having submitted my fair share of capture reports.

"How am I supposed to get work done with you around? You are extremely distracting." She said slyly, "And I do mean that in a good way."

"Work first fun later. We'll breeze through it." I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help but smile a little, "Besides we got easy work today. We'll be home by lunch."

Before we could get to the ranch we had to go past Prof. Slate's lab. The man was an expert on Pokemon adaptation, and the father of Michael Slate jr. I had gotten to know him fairly well from when I was just a kid going over to the lab to hang out with Mike. It was a big part of how I got to know about Pokemon and even how I really determined the rangers were the place for me.

The now gray haired professor was in front of the lab talking to one of his techs. Slate was accompanied by his partner Pokemon a bronze Klinklang. The mechanism Pokemon was certainly a strange one and apparently inspired the creation of gears way back when. The professor's was currently changing out gears keeping it's own weird rhythm with the many different small cogs. As it turns out the only real Pokemon was the main gear with a face. It created the other gears to store energy which it constantly has to expel. Since it has more gears to channel it into a klinklang is much stronger than its previous evolutions. I decided there couldn't be much harm in stopping by.

"Ah Mr. Wight. Good to see you again." Prof. Slate nodded to me when he saw me approach.

"You've known me since I had baby teeth. You can just call me Jaklo."

"You spent years hoping I'd treat you like an adult, and now you ask I speak to you as a child."

"You know Mike gets his stubbornness from you?" I retorted, "Where is he anyway? I haven't seen him since winter."

The professor sighed his eyes dark behind his glasses.

"You know how he's been. He tends to stay in the garden with Aeron. I've tried everyday to get out and moving again, but that's the farthest I can ever get him."

I gritted my teeth the thought of my friend giving up on life was painful to me. He was the best of us, and now he wasn't even a ranger.

"Alice. I'll meet you at the ranch. Goodbye professor." I told them as I dashed off towards the back of the Pokemon lab where the professor had kept a garden

He used it to study Pokemon in a slightly more natural but controlled environment. I saw Mike in his wheelchair staring into a still pond his Aerodactyl partner beside him. I walked up to him, but he didn't react.

"Been a pretty nice spring so far this year. Good time to start getting out there again." I said stepping up beside him.

"Letchworth has always been a beautiful place. Farmland reclaimed by a man with a vision of nature for the people." Mike said, "It's the Ranger's dream I suppose."

He closed his eyes taking a deep breath.

"You know even though you aren't active duty anymore we could use you at the meetings. Your insight meant a lot. I'm sure Maria could always use your know how to manage the bronzes and silvers."

"Maybe. I have… things to do." Mike said his voice telling of how his spirit was broken more than his body.

Aeron looked to his partner and nuzzled against his shoulder. Mike went back to looking into the pond. I took this as my cue to leave. I had tried to force the subject once before, and it only made things worse. I took everything a step at a time. I had seen some good and some bad as time went on, but Mike was still nothing like he used to be.

I hurried to the north side of town and up to the ranch's farmhouse. Alice was there using the GPS console to find out where her Pokemon were on the ranch.

"Who are you picking up?" I asked so I could plan better.

"Aggy and Kona." She told me not taking her eyes off the screen.

"I was planning on bringing Plasum. Maybe I'd bring baroness, but you already have plenty of water types. Is three Pokemon enough for now?"

"Jaklo we're not going to the ruins you don't need to worry." Alice turned from the computer to give me a look.

"Fine, fine, I'll just get Plasum."

I put in his ID and found out where on the ranch he was. It began to zoom in on his location. East side, south east side, hundred yards, twenty yards, one yard. The GPS zoomed right in on the farmhouse.

"What the?" I turned towards Alice, but instead came face to face with a horrific mug dripping purple ooze.

"Fuckin hell!" I shouted jumping backwards.

The face transformed into Plasum who laughed hysterically.

"Yeah yuck it up. You're only adding to the stereotype buddy." I grumbled grabbing his pokeball and stowing him away.

We double checked everything and headed off towards the main road so we could get up to The North end where two major sites and a minor one remained from the old world: The Glen Iris Inn and the Letchworth Museum and then the Mary Jemison memorial. The Inn was originally the country estate of William Pryor Letchworth. Letchworth saw the beauty in the land and with his fortune began to buy it back so that it couldn't be destroyed and that which was already damaged he began to replant. A fitting model for us. The museum had artifacts from the area, and Mary Jemison was an interesting mystery. Much had been lost about her, but a statue remained over her grave. We had no intention of disturbing it.

I sent out Plasum when we arrived at the north end. The Inn was only seventy feet from the gorge and had picturess views, but there had been some buildings further up when the area was a park. We had kept one of them as a little storage shelter for the bigger equipment up here. A fair few devices were thrown around from the storm. I collected a couple of antenna and a weird dish and dragged them up onto the inn porch. I'd leave it to the forge workers to fix it. I knew a thing or two about tech, but not enough to mean anything. Plasum was laughing as he floated back and forth between the white columns on the porch.

"Tahaunt!" He cackled.

"At least one of my Pokemon is still has a positive outlook." I deadpanned.

"Heh heh hauntaa." He smiled opening his void of a mouth wide.

"Alright alright. Come on we got work to do." I told him.

"Speaking of that." Alice said grabbing a blue and white pokeball off her belt.

She held it out and a ray fired off over the gorge. A massive form was created in the red light, but slowly it solidified into the giant water type Gyarados. The water serpent splashed down and looked up to us from the river rapids.

"Alright Agro. You get recon duty. I need you to search up and down the river for anyone causing trouble. Just roar if you need us." Alice said.

"I do not understand how that used to be your little magikarp." I muttered looking at the massive beast.

"And despite that he will always be my little Aggy." Alice smiled.

"Well let little Aggy work. You should go up to the storage sheds when Agro is up on the falls." I suggested.

"Okay. Plasum don't let him do something stupid without me." Alice said giving me a kiss on the cheek before heading up the way to the storage buildings.

Plasum morphed his face into big lips and made kissing noises before breaking into laughter.

"I let you out of that pokeball, and I can cram you back into it." I warned him grabbing it from my belt.

He shrunk back holding his hands up.

"Ok then let's get to work." I told him as we headed into the Inn.

Plasum went ahead of me and began to lurk through the Inn phasing through walls without a care. He loved the ancient building soaking all of it's history. Before I headed inside I pulled on the pair of thermal goggles. On thermal he left a distinctly cold trail, but it faded fast. I did a full sweep of the inn taking mental notes of anything out of place, but nothing stood out much. When I got outside Alice was just coming back.

"Not a thing. We should do the museum next." I said simply.

We headed over climbing a short staircase up to the museum's large front door. Just before Alice grabbed the doorknob I pulled her back and put my hand over her mouth before putting a finger in front of mine. I pointed to my goggles and then whispered.

"That doorknob is ice cold same for the windows. There's freezing air slipping out from under the door. Something is inside."

Alice noded and we backed up to search the perimeter. We split up and moved around the old stone building to inspect it. There was no signs of forced entry or damage really. The building had an archive cellar with a back door. When I saw there was no sign of cold there we headed in. The archives seemed just fine, but the cold was seeping under the door to the main floor. I had plasum open the door since his ethereal body wasn't bothered by the cold too much. Inside the building was a strange fog and it felt like the depths of winter. I crept in my vision all shades of blue from the thermal goggles. Alice kept close as we went down the central hall. The building had three rooms. Two smaller rooms were on the right one holding a library and the other natural exhibits, fossils and such; meanwhile on the left was one large room about the human history of the area. On my thermal view the cold was stronger on the left side around the doorway into the large room. I peeked around around the door jam and scanned the room. I froze where I was when I spotted a figure in the room colder than the air around us. It just floated there a slightly darker silhouette in the fog. I conveyed everything to alice and we formed a basic plan. I sent plasum in to engage first.

"Plasum, sucker punch!" I ordered making the first move

The figure shifted, but Plasum was there in the blink of an eye his ethereal fist solidifying to uppercut the figure. The Pokemon reeled holding its chin. The fog faded somewhat now only rolling along the floor rather than filling the space. The figure was revealed to be an effeminate blue and white Pokemon with bright yellow eyes and a red sash around its waist. It screeched angrily and frost began to form on every surface.

"Plasum keep on the offensive.!" I ordered not wanting to give the Pokemon any time.

My haunter morphed into a giant terrifying face that startled the Pokemon. Plasum began to slash away with his clawed hands. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard as Plasum scratched at the Pokemon's frozen outer shell. Alice ordered Sholt to join in. The wartortle dashed towards the ghost head lowered. He leaped just before reaching it and smashed the icy Pokemon into the wall breaking the plaster and denting the stone wall.

"We need to get it outside." I told Alice knowing that a battle in here could spell disaster for the ancient building.

"Way ahead of you." She replied pulling out a pokeball.

She threw it like a pitcher and beamed the ice Pokemon in the head. The ball opened and pulled the Pokemon in.

"Plasum phase it out!" I ordered realizing where this was going.

He grabbed the pokeball and concentrated gripping it tight as he pulled the solid object with him through the wall to the outside. Alice, Sholt, and I sprinted through the main entrance to get outside. The ice Pokemon had already broken free and was blasting Plasum with a gale force wind filled with sleet. He was pinned down against the museum holding up his hands to block as much of the barrage as he could. Sholt ran back into the fight unleashing a powerful blast of water from his mouth. The ice Pokemon looked like it had been hit with a boulder when it was knocked sideways from the hit. Plasum lunged at the ice Pokemon grabbing on tight with one hand and pummeling it with the other. He hissed with anger smashing his fist into the Pokemon's chest over and over. It struggled to break free, but its physical strength was puny compared to its elemental power. Plasum wound up one more haymaker, his fist becoming cloaked in fire, and punched his foe right in the face knocking it out cold.

The Pokemon wasn't too hurt, only little scratches and bruises possibly a black eye from that last hit. Pokemon were extremely durable. They'd usually use up all of their energy and be unable to fight before they'd start being badly harmed. I took the opportunity and ran up pressing a specialty temporary pokeball against the Pokemon. The ball would only hold the Pokemon briefly so that we could move her out to somewhere safe. There was no way to force a Pokemon to stay in a pokeball, but these were specially made to hold on much longer than a normal one. They were only ever used for the greater good though. The Pokemon was sucked up into it and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

"Alright. Let's relocate her and report in." I said, "I need a hot shower."

"Make that we." Alice joked relieved.

We released the Pokemon up near the urban edge since it seemed keen on buildings for habitation. I pulled out my radio and honed in on the town's signal. I went over what happened and told them that it was safe for the team to return. Alice and I decided we'd wait for the team to arrive and see if they needed any help setting things back up. Seeing as we had the space as well we sent out all of our Pokemon for some fresh air. Alice and I sat next to each other on the open lawn behind the Inn. Our Pokemon did as each pleased either resting themselves or socializing. Pokemon were just like people in that way. They could be social and thinking if they wanted to. They simply showed it more around people. Closing my eyes and pulling my cap down before laying back head on my arms I apparently dozed off because next thing I knew Alice has poking my ribs with the tip of her boot. I shook away the daze and saw her and the preservation team.

"What? I work hard. I'm entitled to naps." I grumbled not wanting to admit how restless my night had been.

I got to my feet before inquiring about what needed to be done to get the team moved in again.There actually wasn't a lot to do. The weather monitoring equipment had survived the snow and would at most need some recalibration. Everything else was standard maintenance. Alice and I left them to it and headed back to town.

We walked along with our main partner Pokemon. Yanso was still young and just a foot shorter than me. Fully grown he'd be much taller than me. Sholt was only about hip height on Alice. He'd get bigger when he evolved, and then grow up to be taller than Yanso. Trainers and their Pokemon were always a motley crew. Hundreds of species each with different traits on its own. My team was of all sorts. Reptiles and mammals, tall and short, strong and swift. Each played a special role. Between Alice and I we had gathered around sixteen Pokemon. Even still the bond one makes with their first Pokemon partner is stronger than anything. Nothing can change that. Not the passing of time or the worst of fates. At least that's what I hoped. Yanso had been strange as of late. He felt distant, but he never seemed any less loyal. I wasn't going to let that ruin us though. I could never give up on my friends even if that hurt me more.

It was early afternoon when we got back. Alice went back to her house leaving me to walk home with Yanso. As soon as I was in the door I started pulling off my uniform. I threw it in a pile and jumped in the shower. The water was almost painfully hot, but it felt fantastic after that bitter cold. Up here we were used to cruel winters and mountains of snow, but that didn't mean I liked it. My bathroom turned into a sauna after only a minute or so. I slumped against the wall letting the water pour down on me. I shut my eyes trying to sort through my thoughts.

Overall it hadn't been so bad. That Pokemon had put up a fight, but that was actually small fry to me now. My team and I had come really far. I had raised most of them from their littlest forms, but even my newer ones were growing stronger. Things over the last few months had been going surprisingly well. My life seemed to be coming together again. I was still scared, but fear and hope aren't mutually exclusive. Mike had even been getting out a little bit, mostly just to the ranch to visit his Pokemon, but that was huge considering how many weeks he spent never leaving the lab.

I was just getting out of the shower when I heard someone knocking. Knock,knock,knock...knock...knock. That was definitely Alice. I grabbed my boxers and put on some jeans before letting her in. She had already washed up and changed into a turquoise sweater, beige pants, and a pair of nice leather boots.

"I thought you were coming for dinner." I said kind of confused why she was here so early.

"I was coming because of you. Dinner is just a side benefit." Alice laughed leaning up against my bare chest.

I hugged her holding her close. We looked into each other's eyes before sharing a slow kiss. I was damn near certain she was the one. No one made me feel the way I did when I was with her.

"I suppose it's a good enough reason." I chuckled.

The evening was pretty lazy from that point on. We just talked and existed. Right now it was all I needed. No matter how bad or many my worries Alice could take them all away. When it was us together that's all there was.

Last edited:

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
  • Chap 2: The Old World

It was just a couple days later. Spring was fully here and all the town was active. With this came increased needs. There was a lot we could get from nature alone, but sometimes we needed a little human ingenuity. In that case, we looked to the ruins of our past. Everything was salvageable. It just took actual effort to recycle it something not reasonable in the commercially driven society before us. The forge could take anything and reuse it. It was a ranger's job to get them those resources.

The morning was perfectly normal to me. I headed to work ready for another day, but not ready for who greeted me. When I arrived at the meeting room I was shocked to see Isaac, an ex-ranger and good friend, there with his Electabuzz, Turbine. We shook hands and hugged like old friends do.

"Been a long while. Haven't gotten to see you since February!" I exclaimed, "Man, how have you been? Turbine looks tough as always."

The Electabuzz beat his chest while smiling at the compliment.

"Been doing pretty decent. Forge keeps me busy, and I'm happy with the work." He replied thinking about the last three months.

"So why are you here?" I asked.

"We need something a little special for a project at the forge, and you'll be coming with me to go get it." Isaac said a big grin on his face.

"Just remember I out rank you know, so you're coming with me." I joked.

"Yeah yeah. I just wasn't cut out for all the political drama. I like to solve my problem with different methods." Isaac retorted.

"Uh huh so is that why when you get ticked you smash whatever you are working on?." said Alice who had just arrived in full uniform to boot.

I let out a whistle shocked to see her in any other than field gear or at least jeans. She rolled her eyes and stood next to me.

"Can you not make a big deal out of this? Tyler has me speaking with Rushing about hydrodynamics and water treatment. Literally, last thing I want to do today." Alice explained leaning on me, "they won't even see my feet why do I have to wear heels today?"

"Because even two hundred years in the future professional attire still has to be uncomfortable. Have we not evolved? How can we save ourselves from the plight of heels and ties?" I joked with great ham as I played up the sorrow, "Besides you wear heels when we go out. Why are these evil?"

"There's a big difference between going to the lounge and spending all day at work." She shoved me gently and instead leaned on the wall.

My mind had already gone to my memories of some of the better nights at the lounge. Sure we were simpler more natural people, but we still liked alcohol and entertainment. The lounge was a kind of club bar thing for people to unwind and enjoy life at. Sometimes we'd get the whole gang together there, though Mike always refused. Usually, it was just Alice and I. it was a place to get out of the house mostly. Food, beer, music, dancing, and every Friday was a movie. Alice wasn't typically a vain girl, but even she got done up now and then when we'd go alone together.

A hard flick to my forehead brought me back. I glared at Alice not amused. She approved that my mood now matched hers. The meeting got underway when Tyler arrived with the others and assignments were handed out. As Isaac had said we were going to be headed for the ruins to search for resources.

The ruins were far different than the wilderness. It was a hostile toxic place with no room for the weak. Pokemon that lived there were desperate and even more dangerous. Many had become entirely hostile and would attack anything that drew too close. This wasn't a relocation or a patrol. This was us or them.

Before we even left town our first stop was the armory where we got equipped in field gear. body armor, heavy packs, and finally I grabbed a swat style remington-8700 shotgun from the cabinet. It was relatively similar to its old world counterpart the 870, but it had a little more kick.

I had done firearms training for a couple years but hadn't actually used one in quite a while. I even owned a revolver, but it wasn't something I carried on a regular basis. It was a strange feeling being behind a gun. So much power, and much more responsibility. Pokemon were certainly durable, but hardly invulnerable. During battles, Pokemon would beat each other into submission with elemental bases moves, but a shotgun or pistol wasn't quite the same. They bypassed the elemental auras and went right for the flesh and blood. Some Pokemon were durable enough to still take bullets others fast enough to dodge, but that just meant we had to be even better. Isaac walked over with a standard issue USP .45.

"Damn didn't think I'd get to use one of these again anytime soon. Was being a ranger always so bloody?" Isaac grimaced looking at the sidearm.

"It's the ruins, Isaac. It's a bloodbath with or without us." I said solemnly, "Come on. We've got a job to do."

I left all my younger Pokemon at the ranch and built a team with Yanso, Rath, Lucas, Tex, and Pierce. Pierce may have been first stage, but he was the second Pokemon I ever trained, and I trusted him to hold his own.

Isaac had fewer Pokemon than I did. He only brought Turbine, his Electabuzz, Jett, his Skarmory, Vent, his Torkoal, and Liam, his Makuhita. They were dependable experienced Pokemon. Turbine and Jett had been with him as a ranger, and though the other two were newer, he trained them just the same. He didn't have a badge anymore, but he still had the spirit of a Ranger.

We decided to skip the hike and both flew to the edge of the ruins. Between the forest and the ruins was an open plain where only lichens and sparse grasses grew. This was the front line. We let our birds rest up, and sent out a Pokemon each. He had Turbine assist him, and I chose Rath. Rath was actually from the ruins. I caught him as a pup. He was powerful but prone to ferocity. It took a steady hand to raise him. He was loyal to me but still retained his feral nature to some degree.

Two hundred years of decay stood before us. Concrete and steel towering into the sky with rubble and wastes strewed around from the force of weather and degradation. Rath took the lead, his nose adapted to finding others in the hostile environment, prey and predators alike. We walked through the ruins the last memories of humanity. Sure they had escaped, but often we leave the tragedies behind. The years leading up to the arks were filled with famine and drought. Desperate people made drastic choices turning on each other in the panic. There's a reason the arks fit most of the population. We culled ourselves going from billions to a few million in a handful of years. Nature's final defense was the feral instincts in us all.

The winds howled through the open avenues, and the buildings creaked and cracked all teetering on the edge of stability. Rath kept his nose low and eyes high as he stalked along ahead of us. Isaac, Turbine, and I kept close together but gave Rath room in case he did spot something, or something spotted him. I fought the urge to strike up conversation with Isaac. Out in the open, we had to be vigilant.

By the sun it was about 1 maybe 1:30. We were in good shape, but hiking through the rubble made the last hour feel like three. Finally, we had to give in and take a rest. Isaac saw a good spot where a building had fallen across the street and made a large overhang. It was closed off on the opposite side by a wall of rubble. Rath sniffed it out and gave us the all clear. We sent out all our Pokemon to take watch. I sat down on a concrete boulder with a huff.

"So what even are we getting? You never said during the briefing." I asked after taking a drink from my canteen.

"Yeah, Tyler didn't want me mentioning it." Isaac said a bit of regret coming through.

"Why? What would need to be kept secret from the others?" I demanded now very concerned.

"He trusts everyone, but the less people who know the better. A while back Paul brought in some records from a police station that described a device some organization had developed. It was designed to force Pokemon to evolve." Isaac explained looking furious and disgusted.

"That's horrific," I growled.

"Exactly, the police reports say the device was taken and hauled off to a storage facility. After pouring over records we think we found the right one. Our job is to destroy that machine." Isaac said with fervor.

"Before Roamers find it." I muttered.

That name was highly outdated, and misleading. There used to be nomadic groups around especially in the years just after the arks. We called them roamers. Though some were harmless simply people who didn't want to settle there were others that were barbaric groups simply seeking to gain from settlements hard work. In the early years they were a major threat but now didn't stand a chance against the Rangers. Every major settlement was a member of the NARU, North Avance Ranger Union. We didn't get to communicate with too many others there were at least twelve other settlements throughout what used to be North Avance. Every couple years we'd send reps to a conference in the central most town Noric. Paul had gone to most since I joined the Rangers, but Tyler had gone before he became ranger head.

Roamers weren't nearly as prevalent these days, but there were still a few bands that moved around. As far as we knew the only prevalent ones were at peace with the NARU. They could be as brutal as ever and the thought of roamers getting their hands on a device like this was horrifying. It could easily give them an advantage enough to take on a settlement. It's inhuman nature only added to the problem.

Evolution was a mysterious metamorphosis almost all Pokemon were capable of. It's caused by varied reasons, but always requires all the base needs of the Pokemon to be met and then to provide the drive for it to evolve. A strong bond between trainer and Pokemon can be one of the best driving forces. This, of course, makes it hard for Roamers who treat Pokemon as property and tools to get stronger evolved Pokemon. If anything the Pokemon would evolve to fight back and free itself.

Isaac pulled a portfolio from his backpack and let me inspect its contents. The device had been made by a shadowy organization called Team Rocket. The group was using it to force Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados. It was shut down by two Pokemon champions. Now we just needed to finish the job.

We got up and started walking away from the alcove. Only thirty feet or so later Rath stopped and turned around. His teeth were bared and his muscles ready to launch him at a target. He looked towards me and growled. I dropped to the ground and he fired a blast of flames over me. I watched the blast fly by crashing into an angry Granbull making it fall backward. A pack of canine Pokemon were standing on the rubble that we camped beneath. At least fourteen Pokemon of seven species: The Granbull, two Mightyena, three Poochyena, two Electrike, two Houndour, and a Houndoom with a broken horn. They jumped down slowly stalking towards us.

"Old friends of yours?" I asked Rath.

He snarled and barked fearless even to the numbers. We didn't have as many, our chance was based on skill. Yanso, Tex, Rath, Jett, Turbine, and Liam made up our front line keeping the feral Pokemon from getting to the rest of us. The ferals began to howl in a monstrous chorus trying to intimidate us. There was a rowdy response from our Pokemon refusing to back down.

"Light 'em up!" I shouted over the roars of my team.

There was a barrage of attacks: Yanso threw bladed leaves, Rath continued blowing fire, and Turbine launched arcs of electricity from his arms as they spun up. The ferals scattered to dodge the attacks weaving around the broken terrain. I saw one of the Poochyena go down after being struck by turbine's lightning. It went rigid and dropped only twitching it's front leg. The small fry weren't a big threat, but the big dogs were almost on top of us.

The mightyena barreled into the front line. They both went for Liam knocking him down and drawing the attention of Turbine and Jett. One locked it jaws on Liam's shoulder while the other tried to hold off Mike's other Pokemon. Turbine wasn't having any of it and slammed down both arms on the mightyena's head when it tried to tackle him. With two more heavy punches the hyena was out cold. Jett jumped at the one attacking Liam bashing it with her steel beak. It was knocked sideways, but its fangs ripped at LIam's skin making him groan in pain and grab his shoulder. The mightyena began to laugh, but Jett silenced it clamping her metal talons around its neck and squeezing until the mightyena couldn't breathe.

My team meanwhile was working to deal with the Granbull and Houndoom. The pack leader spewed fire as he neared forcing Tex and Yanso to back up. Rath stood in the flames and howled invigorated by the fire.

Yanso taunted the Houndoom despite the type advantage it had over him. When the Houndoom leaped it's jaws filled with fire it was knocked back by Rath. My Houndour growled telling Yanso to find his own fight, this was his. Yanso and Tex were left to handle the Granbull who had ran in on four legs, but now stood on two. The Granbull and Yanso were fairly even at first. The two were trading punches, but both were quick enough to dodge most of them. Tex began charging towards the Granbull. He started slow, but eventually was barreling towards him like a locomotive.

"Rawwwwwwn rawwwwwwn!" He bellowed warning Yanso to clear out.

Yanso jumped back, but the Granbull didn't realize what was happening fast enough. Tex rammed into the bulldog's legs knocking them out from under it. It fell to the ground writhing until Yanso added insult to injury kicking the Granbull in the face to knock it out.

Rath and the pack leader Houndoom were rather close in size with Rath a bit smaller as he hadn't evolved yet. The wild one was more scarred and there was a fury burning in his eyes that went beyond Rath's. It wanted to kill, and not just to eat, but for the thrill of it.The two Hounds bashed skulls and bared their canines trying to prove their strength before the real fight. The two kept trying to prove superiority, but nothing was certain until one wasn't getting back up. The pack leader lashed out his front paws surrounded in a dark aura making a long slash along Rath's maw. With the real fight started Rath took only a moment to retaliate. His fangs sparked with electricity as he bit into the pack leader's front left leg. The wild Houndoom tried to slash away at Rath, but he refused to let go. The pack leader was slashing and biting , but nothing deterred Rath as he bit deeper and harder until he felt the bones snap in his jaw. He smashed his plated skull into the jaw of the wild Houndoom and threw it back. Crippled and bleeding the pack leader couldn't run and he couldn't fight. Rath wasn't unscathed, but he endured all the pain and the wounds standing over the wounded Pokemon howling in triumph. We had taken care of the rest of the pack and I looked up to my Pokemon. I could see blood in his fangs, but there was no fire in his eyes. He trotted up to me exhausted and looking almost sad. I knelt down to his height and scratched behind his ears. For the most ferocious of my Pokemon he was still no monster. It wasn't an easy job to be a ranger or a partner to one. Fighting your own kind could hardly be easy. I trained him well and given another few months he might just evolve. I looked to see the wild Houndoom writhing trying to limp away. It was unlikely it'd be able to survive, and I didn't feel like wasting ammo.

We checked over the other Pokemon, and found them to be mostly ok. None of the conscious Pokemon seemed remotely keen on sticking around us, so there was no point in trying to get them to come along. Sometimes you could convince Pokemon in the wilderness, but fully evolved Pokemon from the ruins would be a ridiculous challenge. Just like people Pokemon aren't quick to change their whole lives. I'm sure an exception would be possible just difficult.

Isaac and I tended to our Pokemon. Plasum, Rath, and Liam were not in any condition to keep fighting. They'd all rest up in their pokeballs for the rest of the trip. I actually had to bandage up Rath some. While the others just had their energy exhausted Rath had gone beyond that. He was a loyal dog, maybe even too loyal for his own good. With everyone accounted for Isaac had two Pokemon and I had four. We'd have to be very careful from here on. The warehouse was still a ways away and of course we had to make it back after.

We hiked along staying as silent as we could. I carried my shotgun with the safety off ready to fire. It was a good thing I wasn't typically jumpy. Everything was eerily still. We weren't the only ones getting by through stealth. Even a hard step could echo here. I imagine the fight earlier had been noticed by plenty. Carrying on even as the sun started to descend we reached the warehouse, or at least it's remnants.

It was a squat but wide building. One floor with tons of square footage. I sent out Yanso as back up. The dilapidated building could be a perfect den, or at the very least provide another great place to ambush prey like us. Isaac followed suit with Turbine. Without any more info on the machine was had the fantastic task of rifling through century old trash. Though it wasn't really all trash I suppose. There was a seriously fascinating chance to look at how people used to live. I had my fair share of souvenirs back home. With the sun already low we might just have a chance to stick around and look through everything.

We moved silent and focused. Here we were soldiers. Rangers on a mission and nothing would stop us now. Piles upon piles of crates in various states of disrepair wound a maze through the building. We clung to the shadows, but there was little light in the first place. Only tiny shafts of the setting sunlight were able to reach inside through various holes. My hand was gripped tight on the handle of my shotgun I was extremely on edge. Something felt very off. I swore someone was breathing down my neck adding an extra weight of despair to the area. A hand on my shoulder nearly made me fire. I definitely jumped but Isaac kept me quiet. After I glared at him he point to a crate labeled with code that was also in the dossier. We began to pry away at it, and eventually had Turbine just rip open the box. Along with a lot of packaging was a strange machine with dials and many cables. I started to pull it out , but found the cables went much farther. Pulling out more packaging revealed that the cables continued out the other side of the crate into an open area with packaging and trash strewn around. It was a nest. The cables went into the middle of the pile where I could see a bent metal antenna.

"I'm going to pull it free. Keep an eye out." I said.

"Jaklo we can just break the cables and box." Isaac said trying to stop me.

"I know but I've been thinking. This could teach us so much about Pokemon evolution. We should bring it back. Slate could advance his studies by years with this." I whispered back annoyed he was stalling me.

I also couldn't deny the possibility that this was just the power boost my team needed. This device could get us on par with Mike's team, or even above.

"It's too dangerous to keep around. Some tech should stay in the past. That thing can only teach us where humanity went wrong." Isaac grabbed my shoulder to reinforce his thoughts.

"But I ne-."

A echoing caw cut me off. I whipped around raising my shotgun.

Now perched on the roof of the warehouse was a giant Ferrow. The razor beak Pokemon was normally about the size of a man, but this one was at least twenty feet tall covered in tumorous growths and scars.

It jumped down into its nest and swept its wings downward. The gust threw me back. I crashed into a pile of boxes a few meters away. I just grimaced and lied there trying to keep from blacking out. Even through the daze I could hear the Fearow's battlecry. I felt a hand grab my shirt. I was dragged back further into the warehouses maze of crates.

When I finally could open my eyes I saw Yanso kneeling next to me. We were hidden in the rubble for now. The Fearow was mostly restricted to where the roof had given way. I got to my feet and peered out into the cleared area. The Fearow was still there, but Isaac and turbine were missing. There was no way we were leaving here alive if that Fearow still was. I opened the breach on my shotgun. I pulled out the nonlethal beanbag shot, and put in a slug.

"Ready?" I looked to Yanso who nodded.

We both came out of our cover. I fired first drawing attention while Yanso raced across the room.

The Fearow sent another hurricane like gale my way, but I was ready for it and managed to stay upright, kneeling to kepe my aim better.. Yanso didn't want to be ignored. He dragged his claws through the concrete floor throwing massive stones at the Fearow. It bared the hit despite the stones slashing at its skin. It responded snapping its beak like a guillotine and scratching with huge talons. The two wrestled like furious monsters knowing only one would live. I fired again, but it completely ignored me. It pinned Yanso aiming its beak at his chest.

"Yanso!" I screamed

"Grovyle!" He replied

"Thunder!" A third voice joined in.

A huge bolt of lightning fell from the sky, through the hole in the roof, directly hitting the Fearow. I looked over to see Isaac and Turbine having made their way through the rubble just in time. Turbine charged in delivering a fury of punches, electricity arcing off his arms, each echoing with thunder as they hit. The Fearow cried in agony.

Isaac pulled out a steel pokeball and threw it at the massive Pokemon. It absorbed the Fearow and spun on the ground as it restrained the monster. Yanso slowly stood up resting on one knee before returning to me.

"Ya did good." I told him before offering his pokeball.

He shook his head stubborn as always.

"You aren't staying out in this condition."

"Grovyle." He groaned refusing to thin our group anymore.

"It's an order. We'll put him down. Don't worry." I told him doing my best to be confident at our odds.

Yanso begrudgingly entered his pokeball to rest.

"How long do we have?" I asked knowing that ball was just a temporary capture capsule.

"Maybe a couple minutes. We can't let it live it's feral and exceedingly powerful." Isaac said grimly.

"Yeah. I know." I nodded a solemn look on my face.

I sent out pierce and Tex while Isaac added Jett. It was six against one and I still felt terrified. We had never seen an abomination like this before. Not that I was surprised that the old world would make something like this. I gave Isaac the shotgun and had pierce latch onto my left arm. I had practiced with him to act as a backup weapon if I ever ran out of ammo. His water blasts hurt just as much as bullets and I could give him much more mobility.

The capture capsule began to shake as it was close to breaking.

"Semper Vigilis! Stand and fight." I shouted

The capsule broke and the giant Fearow was released. Isaac had Jett ready instantly. The Skarmory flew like a bullet into the much larger bird. Her steel beak stabbed into the Fearows side making it reel if only from the force. With it off center Tex had an opening to get close. He trashed his head against the ground spraying up jagged stones that cut at the Fearow's underside.

"Alright great start. Pierce lock and load." I ordered my kabuto.

A sphere of water began to form in front of him as I took aim. The huge sphere shot off at surprising speed hitting the Fearow so hard it would have felt solid. Isaac took advantage and ordered Turbine to launch another thunder attack at the soaked Fearow. A huge bolt of lightning fell from the sky, but crashed just outside of the building by the sound of it. The Fearow instantly took its opening and thrashed around injuring Tex and Jett despite their metal plates. The power was astounding, but it couldn't deter us.

I raised Pierce and ordered him to use another water pulse. Just as the orb was forming the Fearow lunged at me its lance like beak aimed at my chest. Pierce fired the water pulse sideways throwing my arm across my body. The Fearow's beak crashed right into Pierce's rocky shell. We were thrown back, but I was uninjured from the hit Turbine came up behind using thunderpunch again to draw it off me.

"Pierce!" I shouted seeing how terribly injured my Pokemon was.

His shell had a serious crack in it and blood was pouring out of it.

"Don't you dare! I was supposed to take that hit not you." I yelled at him furious at how sad I was.

"Buto…" He coughed looking at me with his little eyes.

He knew very well what he did. He saved my life. Another second and my heart was a kebab. Even while Turbine and the Fearow brawled I couldn't look away from my Pierce. He was one of my oldest Pokemon. He was one of my dearest friends. I had trained him for years. We had trained so hard, but it wasn't enough. I wasn't enough.

"I let you down… I'm sorry Pierce."

"Ka. Ka bu." He groaned, but there was a slight laugh to his voice

A brilliant light surrounded Pierce blinding everyone nearby. When all was clear again my little kabuto had evolved into Kabutops. The evolution had largely healed him, but a gnarly scar remained across his armored head. It looked something akin to an eye patch as there was a large amount of discoloration around his left eye.

"Ka Bu Tops!' He hissed displaying his huge scythe like blades.

"Pierce! You have the worst and best timing ever." I shouted astounded by the turn of events

The Fearow seeing its new foe raised its wings attempted to sweep him away. Pierce easily dodged the Fearow and got in close. He tore at the Fearow's chest causing heavy bleeding. His razor sharp claws super effective as he slashed the giant bird. As though purely to get revenge on the bird He lined up his right scythe and drove it deep into the bird's chest right where it would have hit me. The Fearow succumbed to its injuries and fell dead.

"That was... terrifying. This is why I retired." Isaac panted his body shaking from adrenaline, "We won by dumb fucking luck. No offense Pierce, but that's still dumb fucking luck."

The Kabutops shrugged knowing damn well how close we came to losing. There was no way we were hiking home tonight, so we fortified the warehouse. We repositioned boxes and rubbish to block most of the gaps in the wall and used broken boards as spikes to keep things from climbing up them. With a camp set we tended to our Pokemon. Rath was still the only one with long term injuries. A couple hours rest and medicine would take care of the others wounds. Since that was the case we left everyone out, save for Rath, so we could set up a guard schedule. Vent was instead given cooking duty as we used him as our campfire.

"I remember when we used to do this for fun. Nothing like cooking marshmallows over lava." Isaac joked.

"Yeah. Used to be just fun and games. To think way back when everyone got to be a trainer. Everyone got to have Pokemon and explore the world, and it wasn't because everything was on the verge of going sideways." I replied wistfully.

"Hey you're a ranger. Isn't it your job to be peppy and optimistic about saving nature?" Isaac once again tried to lighten the mood.

"Issac, let's be honest. I'm gold rank. I'm supposed to be above average and here we are two people with strong Pokemon and we struggled with one slightly stronger Fearow. A Fearow, I normally pick one up for thanksgiving dinner. I don't know if I'm getting slow, or if the world just got a hell of alot more cruel recently, but I'm just not sure I'm ready for my rank sometimes. I love being a Ranger, do not get me wrong, but do I deserve to be?" I stared my friend in the eyes.

There was a pause. I could feel all my Pokemon looking at me, but I wasn't sure what they thought. I think they were more shocked than Isaac at what I had said.

"Do you deserve to be a Ranger? Jaklo look at where you are. You are out in the middle of the ruins with a team of amazing Pokemon. We just took down a huge monster of a Fearow something we're likely to never see again in our lives. And you did all of this just because you want to help others. Just because you care about everyone back home. Jaklo, I'm not sure we deserve you sometimes." Isaac said happily confused by my feelings, "I don't get how you can feel so concerned when you are one of the best around. This wasn't a normal situation. You can't act like this is the norm. Yeah everyone can improve; If you give up you end up like me a terrified engineer who hides away unbending metal all day."

I sat silently taking it in.

"Yeah you're probably right. I just can't wrap my head around it all sometimes and feel like I'm not doing enough. Like I need to be better. I need to be ready that I could treat this is normal. There's only Alice, Maria, Paul, Tyler, and I now. If something came up I have to be the best possible."

"Yeah that's a thing called motivation. Drives you to be better. It's a good thing."

"Alright alright. I want to get some shut eye it's a long way home tomorrow."

I lied down on my bedroll and nodded off totally exhausted. Maybe I was too hard on myself, but one thing was for certain. There were going to be far greater challenges ahead and dumb luck wasn't gonna cut it anymore.

Back