• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokemon Emerald - legit or fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hey guys,

So on the weekend I bought a Pokemon Emerald game off an auction site which claimed that the game is "New". It's currently on it's arrival to my house but I thought I would post up the picture that was used in the auction.

1) Legit or fake?

Spoiler:

2) Also, recently I bought another Pokemon Emerald game off a different auction site and the game apparently is a fake:

Spoiler:

But the seller wouldn't refund my money until they have received the game from me and "get it checked" - if it's fake then they will refund my money - if it's legit then they won't refund my money. Something tells me that this seller is pretty dodgy. What should I do? I have already made a claim on paypal for it but they now require supporting documents to show that this product is a fake. What would be an easy and good way of going about this? I would like to hear this from someone who have dealt with this before and have been successful in their claim.

HELP GUYS :(

THANKS!!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Box looks legit, and compared to my copy of Emerald, the cart looks legit. The sticker does shimmer though, right?

Years
    Look at where the pins on the cart are. Like, look into the little slot. If it says something like (C)Nintendo and then some letters, it's legit. :D

Years
    Box looks legit, and compared to my copy of Emerald, the cart looks legit. The sticker does shimmer though, right?

No the cartridge does not shimmer.

Also when I loaded the game it says "This game can be played".

When I also tried using the Pal Park it deletes the save file on the Emerald - everytime. Thus the Pal Park doesn't work with the cartridge.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    With that said, I'm positive it's a fake cart. The sticker should shimmer and be holographic like a Pokemon card. And the game itself shouldn't be doing that. I'll leave this open in case anyone wants to correct me, or has anything else to add. Though with that information, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that your Emerald is fake.

Years
    With that said, I'm positive it's a fake cart. The sticker should shimmer and be holographic like a Pokemon card. And the game itself shouldn't be doing that. I'll leave this open in case anyone wants to correct me, or has anything else to add. Though with that information, I'm fairly sure it's safe to say that your Emerald is fake.

Ok

But what do you think of 1)? I have yet to receive that one but judging from the box do you think it's legit?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Unfortunately, I don't have my Emerald box to compare with yours. :( But to my recollection, that box you posted looks just like the legit box. But anyone could put a fake cart in the real box, cause what you've said about the game itself really leads me to believe it's fake.

Years
    Right so:

It came today

Spoiler:

So far so good..

Spoiler:

Hang on a sec..

Spoiler:

Hmm

Spoiler:

F*#$

Spoiler:

I give up..

Spoiler:

Ok so what should I do now?

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Where the game mentions: "The saved file is corrupted.. ect" I've had that same problem. After you save do you remove it from your GBA? Because it always happened when I did so. Check to see if there are nay little chips left. In my one, one was missing.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
    That "the game can be played" message tells you it's fake, like Team Fail said. And I heard the fourth gen games have a way of telling if the GBA game is fake or not. And if it is, using Pal Park corrupts the save.

Years
    Where the game mentions: "The saved file is corrupted.. ect" I've had that same problem. After you save do you remove it from your GBA? Because it always happened when I did so. Check to see if there are nay little chips left. In my one, one was missing.

That "the game can be played" message tells you it's fake, like Team Fail said. And I heard the fourth gen games have a way of telling if the GBA game is fake or not. And if it is, using Pal Park corrupts the save.

Yep I tried saving then removing it then putting it back in again and the save file was still in there. But when I went to do the Pal Park thing it corrupted the save file.

Also, when I went into my Pokemon Pearl game, it had no MIGRATE FROM EMERALD menu item on the main menu like it should be.

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    Fake game carts are unfortunately very common. This site will help inform you if you decide to make another purchase.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I wish you had put those pics in spoiler tags. :( Took forever for my crappy connection to load and gave me a lag.

But yeah, basically what Team Fail said. Those pictures are all the proof you need.

Years
    I wish you had put those pics in spoiler tags. :( Took forever for my crappy connection to load and gave me a lag.

But yeah, basically what Team Fail said. Those pictures are all the proof you need.

Sorry I'm still fairly new to this site - but have added the spoiler tags.

One thing I've learned is that on the back of the box if it's a fake game it would say "Seal of Quality" on the same line under "Nintendo" and it's inside an Oval where as the real thing would have "Seal of" and then "Quality" on different lines. Also the circle would have to be round.

Anyway the guy who sold me the game (1) got back to me today and said that he will give me a full refund for the game.

I sent the fake cartridge of (2) however to Nintendo Australia since the ***** who sold me the cartridge isn't cooperating. grr

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    You live in NZ why don't you just use TradeMe? It's a lot safer and you can easily tell if someone is trust worthy based on their past feedback.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    Another easy way to tell if it's a fake cart is by setting the clock in Emerald. It won't keep the correct time if it is fake. The same thing happened to me. I had the shiny box and everything.
    But as others have said you have to be so careful. It's ok if you just want to play through the game but if you want to use PalPark to trade across for previous games your stuck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back