• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Epiphany Version

Years
    Hello! I wanted to give you guys a run down of my game idea and hopefully recruit some talent. It seems there are lot of ideas floating around on these forums so I hope there isn't a shortage of hands!

But before I delve into my idea I want to make it clear that I understand that making pokemon game is a TON of work. I spent 5 years in art school and got some experience in understanding game development pipelines and learned that there is always more work than it seems. I understand my weaknesses being a lack of any coding knowledge, which is huge, and that soon I wont have as much free time as I would like. Still, making a pokemon game is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I fear that if I do not start it now I never will! So, without further adieu:

First and foremost, I want this to be a different kidn of pokemon game. I want it to feel familiar but also bring about something new. Pokemon has more or less been the same thing for 20 years I want to depart from that a bit. The ROM I have chosen is, unsurprisingly, FireRed.

Story:
    When Arceus broke free from its egg, a portion of its power remained in the shell, causing the shell to develop life, and eventually, will of its own. Arceus floated across the vacant space, content in its isolation for ages. In time, once the will of Arceus's shell was great enough it manifested itself into a new pokemon, Anumazda, the living embodiment of personal truth. Seeing Arceus so carelessly float across the cosmos made Anumazda upset, but it saw a hole in Arceus's spirit. While Arceus had the power to create, it had no will or desire to do so, for it had been left behind in its shell. Realizing this, Anumazda, restored the missing fragment of Arceus's heart and gave it the will to create. The union of their power created the Plates, from which Arceus drew more strength and used them to create Palkia, Giratina, and Dialga. But all was not well. In helping Arceus, Anumazda lost the ability to properly control its power, and inadvertently brought out the darkness within Giratina's heart, causing the clash that would ultimately leave Giratina in the Distortion world. Out of fear of what other changes Anumazda would bring about, Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus, sealed it away, hoping to bind its power forever.

However, in time the seal faded and so too did the power of the divine three. Anumazda nearly awoke, releasing a small portion of its power in a wave that affected the hearts of the nearby town, causing the citizens truest desires and wills to come into fruition. From there on, the citizens always represented themselves truthfully and never lied, causing a young boy, who's deepest will was the desire to be powerful, to realize his dream of making a world without lies. (I havent decided on a name for the Team yet, but this guy is the leader)

Some years later, a family perished in an accident, leaving behind their orphan child to go to the Lucresta Orphanage at the age of six. The children of the orphanage were unkind to the child, leaving them to feel totally lost and abandoned. They grew to dislike people and isolated themselves out of fear that others would hurt them. Ten years later, once again, Anumazda's power leaked, but in a larger and weaker wave that reached Lucresta City, revealing the child's deepest desire was to have friends and be loved. They no longer wanted to isolate themselves and wished to go somewhere, anywhere than where they were and prove that they mattered.

So the orphan fled the orphanage and wandered the streets looking for food until they stumbled upon a robbery. In their haste to get away, the robbers dropped a parcel, containing three pokeballs. The orphan picked one up, but before they could do anything they were met by the bully who tormented them. The bully took one of the other pokeballs and challenged the orphan to a battle. After defeating the bully, the police arrived on the scene with Professor Alwin (who is NOT named after a tree), the leading scientist at the Lucresta Pokemon Research Center. After explaining what happened and the trainer's situation, Professor Alwin senses potential in them and invites the orphan, now trainer, back to the Research Center where he decides to let the trainer keep their pokemon, so long as they as attend the Ace Trainer Combat Academy, a state-of-the art school that creates the best and brightest trainers in the world. The trainer of course agrees and shortly after reaching the ATCA meets Alwin's assistant, who's name he always struggles to remember. The assistant receives the last pokeball and gives the trainer the PokePhone, a modified multipurpose smartphone and Pokedex.

For those curious, Anumazda is a combination of Anulap, god of magic and knowledge in Polynesian mythology and Ahura Mazda, god of creation, light, and truth, and the singular deity of Zoroastrianism.

That's all I have for the story right now, but I will have more details fleshed out soon. Next I want to talk a bit about the features and mechanics I'd like the game as well the pokemon I'd like to include:

-I'd like to add roughly 75 Fakemon. As opposed to the traditional starter trio for fire/water/grass, I want to use the trio of Fairy/Fighting/Steel. I already have these guys more or less concepted, just gotta go ahead and make finalized art for them. To give everyone a vague description of them:

The Fairy starter is Fairy/Fire and is a brown amorphous blob that is extremely hot and at first glance closely resembles tea while in a container. Coincidentally, this pokemon either finds or makes a little cup for itself to sit in because it is so hot it scorches anything it touches, yet most rock seem to insulate the heat exceptionally well. It likes to decorate the outsides of the cup with various imagery, increasing in complexity and clarity as it evolves. It has tanky stats with passable sp.atk and a signature move that deals damage and always causes a burn.

The Fighting starter is either Fighting/Psychic or a have a new type I might want to add, making its combo Fighting/Sound. As it ages, it rapidly loses it eye sight and relies on echo-location to detect enemies. It has good Atk and Sp.Def and well rounded stats elsewhere . It's signature move is an attack that deals low damage on the first hit, but reverbs the next turn at increased power without consuming the ability to use a move for the second turn.

The Steel starter is a Steel/Poison ninja rat that coats its weapons in lethal toxins. It has high ATK and SPD and has a signature move that has a high chance of afflicting Toxic poison and high chance of dealing critical damage against targets who are already poisoned.

-Should I go through with the implementation of the new Sound type (which more or less depends on the feedback I get for it. If you are for the new type, but have suggestions for type match ups, let me know!), I plan for it to have the following type match ups:

Weak to Ground (since vibrations dont travel well through sand)

Resists Ghost, Psychic, and Fighting

Supereffective against Steel, Rock, and Dark

Resisted by Fairy, Bug, Grass, Water, Poison, Fighting

-Id like to compliment my Fakedex with pokemon from other regions, some of which have had their "deepest desires" brought out by Anumazda and thus gained additional or modified typing (primary typing never changes) and possible modified stats. An example change is a Pikachu affected and gaining the Ice type (keeping electric as the primary type), making the Pikachu native to the region called Pikachill with increased Sp.Atk.

-Instead of the traditional gym set up, Badges are awarded by the ATCA. Trainers must meet an average party level in order to be assigned a Badge Trial, which requires them to trek across the region and defeat a Champion at a location. The "gym" is the journey there and back. Some of the Champions end up dealing with the evil team and will reward the trainer with a Badge after recognizing their prowess against the enemy team.

-The ATCA is a place where trainers can train on demand against varying difficulty teams. Instead of an elite four and final challenge against the champion, the trainer must rise in rank, which has rank cap based on how many badges they have. After earning all 8 badges, the Trainer must then face off against a Champion from each of the other games in the Champion Trials. After defeating each of them, the Trainer must select a single pokemon from their party and fight the champion again, only this time they only have one pokemon and it is a Legendary Pokemon who has earned their trust. Some of the battles are double battles and feature two Legendary Pokemon and in these cases the trainer will obviously choose two pokemon to go into battle with. During the Champion Trials, the trainer may not use any Legendary Pokemon they have acquired unless they have maxed out its friendship, but can freely use items.

-I want the game to be difficult, but not excessively so.

-I have always hated the EV/IV system, so I'd like for all pokemon to gain IV's based on friendship (all pokemon have can max IV's of 31 in each stat), which takes longer to build. As for EV's, the game will feature a monastery (and probably my favorite location I have thought of so far) where the pokemon can meditate on their combat experience and manually assign EV's they way they want to. A pokemon must be at a certain friendship threshold before they will willingly meditate. After receiving a certain badge, the trainer can leave the pokemon at the monastery, giving them time to train and build up their EV's in a similar manner to the day care.

-Lore info about the monastery: The monastery is home to highly intelligent monkey pokemon with affinity for the elements that can telepathically speak and care for each of the elemental birds, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. The monastery also houses the nearly extinct fourth bird, Forestro (working name, up for suggestions. its name is forest + quatro), which was damaged in a fight and had it's wings severed.

-No HM's. Instead these tasks can be carried about by pokemon based on their type:
    Cut: Grass, Steel, Psychic, Rock, Dark
    Fly: Flying, Psychic, Ghost
    Surf: Water, Normal, Psychic, Fighting
    Dive: Water, Psychic
    Strength: Fighting, Steel, Rock, Ground
    Rock Smash: Fighting, Steel, Ground
    Flash: Fairy, Fire, Grass, Bug
    Waterfall: Water, Fighting, Psychic, Flying
    Rock Climb: Normal, Rock, Ground, Fighting, Flying

-Gen 4 typing (special/physical)

-Male or female trainer

-Maybe Mega evolution

-And more options as I think of them! (will edit the post in the future)

Don't be shy with any suggestions, concerns, etc! I know a lot of things here will be difficult to pull off. If something is definitely not possible, that okay, just let me know! I wanna try to make this the best game I (and hopefully, we :D ) can!

Last edited:
    Back