• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Essentials Split-Screen Multiplayer?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    I asked about this some time back, and didn't get much of a response. I'd like to try and bring the idea up again.
    What I'm looking for is essentially a local-multiplayer system for Pokemon Essentials. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a plain handout or someone to do it for me (I mean, if you want to or if it's already done, I'll take it), but I'm looking for anything that could help get me started on something like this, anything to point me in the right direction. If I can get it done through scripts or eventing either way, I'll appreciate the help.
    The kind of system I am looking for would entail something like this:

1. Rather than generating a single game window, the game would create two adjacent game windows side by side, that would act as a split screen. This would be so that both characters could run around and battle and explore menus and talk to npcs without disturbing the other player.

2. I want both characters to be visible on eachother's windows. For example, if I'm walking down a road, and the second player happens to be traveling on the same road, both player's should be able to see eachother walking around on their own game windows, as if they were an NPC.

3. I'd like the players to be able to battle with eachother, trade, and possibly team up and engage in double battles together.

4. For obvious reasons, using the same computer for both players means thatthe game should use different controls for each player (probably on seperate halves of the keyboard). Since Pokemon's controls are fairly simple, this shouldn't be an issue.

I hope I was clear, and I'm sorry if I'm breaching any kind of conduct for posting this again. It's been months since my last post about it, and I've scoured the internet for more help on the subject to no avail. Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2022
    I'm sorry, I'm not here to help you, but I just want to say your idea is simply awesome and so I think this project must gain attention.

I always wanted to play local multiplayer battles, it's a helpful way to learn mechanics and also it's very funny!

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Well thanks, I really like the idea too which is why I'd like to get it worked out. I am no scripter, but I will do what I can to get a system like this goin' because it would be lots of fun. I mostly want it for my project because my brother and I like to play games together couch-coop style. I think it's also a neat way to handle the game's rival-- have your rival be a REAL person.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Both players playing the game by themselves, being able to battle, team up, etc. sounds a lot like what people are trying to do with the MMO project (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only addition you seem to want is to be able to have two clients running on the same computer, being controlled simultaneously (I also don't know how to do this).

As for the controls; I've got a asynchronous co-op system set up which I'll be posting in the 'scripts & tutorials' section mid january (TheGuyver's requested me to post it, yet I'm currently flooded with work). This system allows players to have different controls and control different players during battle (i.e. player 2 controlling the partner trainer or the opponent). Only one player controls the movement and interaction outside battle. (also stated in my signature)

From a design point of view; if two players want to play together on one computer they'll most likely constantly want to team up and fight the battles together. In case they don't want that, the gameplay they're looking for is much like an mmo. In this case it's more relaxed for them to play on their own pc/laptop instead of being cramped up behind one keyboard. It's important to think about how much added value it has to be able to do this on one PC. If you think it's worth it, then by all means. If not, you might be able to achieve a similar result by using the essentials MMO kit (search the script & tutorials section), using the asynchronous multiplayer I'll be posting, or possibly a combination of the two.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
    Years
  • Well thanks, I really like the idea too which is why I'd like to get it worked out. I am no scripter, but I will do what I can to get a system like this goin' because it would be lots of fun. I mostly want it for my project because my brother and I like to play games together couch-coop style. I think it's also a neat way to handle the game's rival-- have your rival be a REAL person.

here you go :
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=328087

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    In case you're still interested I've uploaded the co-op script in the scripts & tutorials section, you can find it here.

Back