• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Fire Red: Help Me Fill Out My Team!

Years
    Hey guys, I'm currently doing a playthrough of FR and I only have 3 4 team members (not counting any HM slaves). I need help trying to pick the rest of my team, which I'd like to have by the 6th or 7th gym, ideally.

Here's my current line up (again not including HM slaves):

Venasaur Lv32
    Razor Leaf/Tackle/Leech Seed/Poison Powder

Gyrados Lv29
    Water Pulse/Tackle/Bite/Dragon Rage

Golem Lv30
    Magnitude/Rock Slide/Rollout/Tackle

Gengar Lv25
    Shadow Punch/Confuse Ray/Curse/Spite
    Note: I've just come through Rock Tunnel.

Edit: I caught a Ghastly in the Pokemon Tower and decided that a Ghost type would be a good addition to this team. I've already trained her up and evolved her.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    You should stick Psychic on that Gengar. Um, I might come back and rate this when I'm not half asleep, but either way, I'll move this into the correct forum for you. :)

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I'll help you out with the movesets I recommend when you get to the E4.

Venusaur: Synthesis, Sleep Powder, Sludge Bomb, Razor Leaf/Giga Drain

Synthesis for healing, Sleep Powder to spread status, Sludge Bomb and either Razor Leaf or Giga Drain for your main attacks.

Gyarados: Surf, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Body Slam/Return

Gyarados is far better in Gen 4 than in the Gen 3 games, but here's a decent moveset. DD to increase Atk and Speed. Earthquake to destroy Electric types it may run into, and Body Slam for Paralysis, or Return for a power move. Return is stronger than Body Slam with max happiness.

Golem: Earthquake, Flamethrower, Rock Slide, Double-Edge/Brick Break

Earthquake is a must here, and Rock Slide for a secondary STAB. Flamethrower hits your Grass weakness. If your Golem has Rock Head, then Double-Edge is fine. If not, then go with Brick Break.

Gengar: Hypnosis, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Psychic

Hypnosis for sleep, Shadow Ball for STAB, and Thunderbolt and Psychic for better coverage.

As far as other pokes, how about Arcanine? You can catch Growlithe fairly early in FR. An Electric type could come in handy as well. Pikachu is frail, but it can be caught in Viridian Forest and gets much better once you evolve it into Raichu.

Years
    You should stick Psychic on that Gengar. Um, I might come back and rate this when I'm not half asleep, but either way, I'll move this into the correct forum for you. :)

Thanks. :)

And thanks for the all the great feedback. I'm considering Arcanine, always a favorite of that Pokemon. Not sure if I'll use Jolteon though, if I do use Pikachu I'll probably evolve it into a Raichu.

TheRatBoy

PokeYoutuber
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2011
    Aerodactyl, dragonite and arcanine are my recommendations. Depends when you want a team of 6 by and what types you think will fit in with your team the best. I played through firered a few months ago and used this party to defeat the elite 4; Blastoise, Primeape, Aerodactyl, Arcanine, Butterfree and electrode.

gamefan1

Mystery Trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    jab's moveset are good

Go with pikachu even if raichu is stronger a pikachu is a lot better.Why? cause its pkachu lol

Change gyarados for a starmie or even a lapras far more better in 3 gen

Ghostrk9

learning new information!
    Years
    woo there mate. gengar is not good in fr! its the only ghost type and is not much use in fr. venusaur tackle yes 4 now,razorleaf good,poison powder? um its good but i use sleep powder.leech seed good 4 now
    definately replace gengar with an acranine they r great! that should have firblast (good in fr) flamewheel double edge and extremespeed.
    replace gyardados with a good lapras u can get in safron. ice beam surf psychic and i forget the last 1
    golem is great but done use all ground/rock moves and get rid of tackle and either rock slide or rollout. fearow can b a good flying type if u want 1 but then againt u can get a hm slave so yeh thats wat i think would be good

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2016
    woo there mate. gengar is not good in fr! its the only ghost type and is not much use in fr. venusaur tackle yes 4 now,razorleaf good,poison powder? um its good but i use sleep powder.leech seed good 4 now
    definately replace gengar with an acranine they r great! that should have firblast (good in fr) flamewheel double edge and extremespeed.
    replace gyardados with a good lapras u can get in safron. ice beam surf psychic and i forget the last 1
    golem is great but done use all ground/rock moves and get rid of tackle and either rock slide or rollout. fearow can b a good flying type if u want 1 but then againt u can get a hm slave so yeh thats wat i think would be good

I do not recommend doing this. You are better of with Gyarados. Also, Raichu or Jolteon always work out for me. Last time I played the only two Pokemon I used on the Elite 4 were Jolteon and Blastoise, and I mostly used Jolteon.

LouBeatYou

Go Kibago, Go!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2012
    Venusaur... Take off razor leaf. Get giga drain or some special attacking move, Venusaur leans towards special attack not attack, poison powder is all right, but consider a different move

Gyrados- Gyrados is much better a physical attacker than special attacker. Take off water pulse, switch it for aqua tail, or trade over waterfall. Trade tackle for another physical move...can Gyrados learn earthquake? If so teach it that

Golem-Learn earthquake and take off magnitude,rollout, and tackle. Also learn double-edge and possibly explosion?

Gengar- Gengar sucks at physical attacking, he is meant for being a special sweeper. Take off shadow punch and learn shadow ball, take off spite and learn psychic, and take off curse and learn substitute. Gives you something to hide behind before they shatter your defenses

As for your last two slots, I would go for an ice-type, maybe Cloyster as a tank, or Mamoswine if your looking for a physical sweeper. And for the other slot I would go for an electric-type, maybe Jolteon for a special-sweeper, or Electivire as a mixed sweeper. Hope this helped:)

Edit: If you want a fire type, maybe a Ninetales or Arcanine depending on your game. Flareon for a physical sweeper.

If you do get an Arcanine do not teach it two fire moves. That is a waste of move slots. Venusaur also shouldnt have tackle. Keep Gengar, it rocks. Fearow doesnt really fit for this team if you are already getting a fire-type

Last edited:
    Back