• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen: One of the best pokemon games?

Electric

Kanto Champion;Battling Ranger
    Years
    Yes, actually probably the best!

Because of its smooth graphics, excellent story and capability, and its originality, also at the end you get to journey longer than usual, the only other game that is capable is GSC, they should remake that because it would bring in Big Cash! but atm this is my favorite game.

What do you think?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I didn't really enjoy it too much. Barely anything in the storyline was changed fron the Red, Blue, and Yellow Generations. I would have preferred if there were legendaries tied in with the main event in the game. The storyline had barely any depth and not many new surprises in it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting when I had first opened up my GameBoy. I liked the Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Versions better. Even Diamond and Pearl showed some greatness compared to FireRed and LeafGreen. Overall very boring game, but it could be worse.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    FR and LG were great games to stall us for DP. Are they great games on their own? Not really. I think the order is this:

GSC > DP >/< Emerald > RBY > FR/LG > RS

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    I found a good way to simply train pokemon (not ev'ing of course) and level them up for storyline play etc.

Vs seeker > Bike route form Celadon 6 trainers who give 1-2k exp EACH almost always battle. Ride down teh bike path fly back to celadon and boom another 6 or so battles lined up for exp.

Before getting to the 5th badge I had level 70 Pokemon from sheer dilligance.

And rumor has it, GSC is FINALLY getting a remake

FlamingAipom

Will Help You For Free
    Years
    I was acually gonna say that hours ago, but for some odd reason it wouldn't let me post it. So I just waited. Anywho there is gonna only be around two more Pokemon RPG generations. I'm assuming they will both be remakes for GSC and RSE.

BTW: Thanks Stricken for the pre-noted notice about remake rumor for GSC.

Slave to the Poké-Rave

I bought the Mt.Moon Magikarp
    Years
    i think firered/leafgreen is absolutely brilliant. Not only is it the core pokemon idea, gyms and the actual pokemon (unlike tiresomely chasing team galactic around and around and around). It also had all the good bits from other games added in (running shoes, sevii island pokemon etc)

However, it doesn't beat G/S/C as that is possibly the best. I want it to be redone so bad.

I really disliked D/P. Chasing team galactic was really boring, the pokemon designs weren't great (why did all the new evolutions of past ones just get fatter?) I also wasn't big on the 3D ness.

I just a traditionalist i guess

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
    Years
    Not the best game, but close. I liked Gold, Siler, and Crystal better. And D/P seemed to be a good game also. But hey, if you like a certain game then stick with your opinion. We all have different opinions on which game we think is better.

ximmortaldavex

looking for cookies.......
    Years
    D/P was a very good installation to the pokemon franchise and i enjoyed it immensely. Fr/LG was good because it was an updated version from Pkmn Blue and Red and you could use the old first gen pokemon again but it wasnt as good as S/R/DP imo

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2008
    Well I think it is one of the best in the handheld series. other pokemon handhelds i liked where mystery dungeon, pokemon gold and silver,and Pokemon Emarald.

ZeroM007

Master o' Missingno.
    Years
    My opinion is, D/P is an overall good game, better than R/S/E, as for FR/LG, they are also better than R/S/E, I can't decide whether D/P is better than FR/LG, and I have no idea about G/S/C because I used a 'monster brain' thing, it's like the pokesav of the 2nd generation, in other words, I 'cheated' my game too much to have a good opinion...

EDIT: I'd of course like to say that I think the very first ones(R/G/B/Y) are the best; they're the ones that started it all after all... Not to say the later ones have better gameplay.

FlamingAipom

Will Help You For Free
    Years
    Yeah I you've gotta love the starting games. Of course what really helps determine whether you like the series depends on personalities of Graphics, Storyline, ect.

For instance R/B/Y were bad graphics, classical, nice starting game. S/G/C were same graphics /w little advances, advance story, and only game to have two regions and 16 badges. So many places so many pokemon to catch. R/S/E was a major advancement toward graphics. Which led to better Gameplay and Storyline, but just as equal(Graphics can never change a storyline, but they do help describe it better). LG/FR Classical storyline, better graphics, not much new though. D/P stepped up got tons of pokemon(keeps you busy), little better graphics. Completely new region and storyline(same for R/S/E too).

It really does depend.

My choices of games would be Red Version for Classic, Crystal and Emerald for Storyline. And Diamond for Graphics.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    My favorites in terms of gameplay were FRLG and GSC, because these two generations had the longest storylines out of any. I've said it before, but the makers of pokemon really need to step it up in terms of story modes. Pokemon collection is excellent, and competitive battling in the 4th gen is a blast, but the story is still the same generic "Go get eight badges and on the way stop some random team who is too incompetent to do anything anyway." One great thing about FRLG is how it had a bit more story with the Sevii islands. In summation; pokemon games need longer and more interesting stories.

FlamingAipom

Will Help You For Free
    Years
    Yes I agree Graconos. They do need to. I never really thought of it until now. They need to do something else. Maybe get the time events back and use them to help with the stories. I don't know if you guys noticed but they got rid of time events from G/S/C. I acually liked it. Maybe you can only fight a certain gym leader on certain days and/or times. Same with a buch of things.

Slave to the Poké-Rave

I bought the Mt.Moon Magikarp
    Years
    yeah, aipom is right, the time things was great. Also, I swear Johto was generally bigger and filled with more things? Like the bug competition, I thought that was great. And there were loads of trainers around, the mobile phones were also cool.

RangerLunick

Rookie Ranger
    Years
    I agree with "Slave to the Poké-Rave" on the mobile phones thing, it was like having friends on your game boy for me. Nice having them phone you for a battle, nice to see their pokemon getting stronger over time too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    G/S/C was clearly the best in my opinion, Firered/leafgreen is probably second with D/P coming in 3rd

Back