• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon for the casual gamer...

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    I've been a Pokemon fan for a while - I am what one might label as a casual gamer. In school people who played Pokemon used to make fun of me because I was always behind in the games (like this kid named Roberto owned Emerald and I only had Pokemon yellow). However a week or two later I got my PSP and modded it and had all of the Pokemon games (gen. 1-3) :D. However that is not the point I am attempting to make...

It seems some people only play for the sake of getting all the Pokemon and such. I play Pokemon to have fun not for being the best... it just seems the mentality of gamers has changed a lot... and not for the better.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I play for a plethora of reasons, haha. I like the stories, I like raising new Pokemon I haven't yet raised, I like completing challenges, I like to RNG...lots of stuff. I think the only thing I don't like to do is Musicals in Gen V, Super Contests in Gen IV, and competitive battling (though I like watching it). It's perfectly okay to be casual or competitive in Pokemon. That's what makes the series golden -- it truly has a place for almost every gamer.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Ultimately that is the reason behind Pokemon honestly, I've been there from red all the way to black and white, and with a catch phrase like "gotta catch em all" it's only natural for players to gravitate towards that, and yes the competition between players is going to be high whether it's against npc's or other players, the premis of the game has and always will be to form an elite team based on rough rock paper scissors tactics while completing your pokedex.[/SIZE]

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    @Sydian agreed :)

@Zerowing35 I have been with the games since the second generation but the only game I have a completed Pokedex on is Pokemon Silver. For me completing the Pokedex is not the highest priority but I love a good challenge against an npc or a fellow player :3

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    Play how you want to there are two sides to Pokemon. Those who chase the dream and those who chase the competition. Its like music Hip-Hop and Rap are two different things but still classified music. Sorry now to back on topic..... being a fan is the greatest aspect of the game not the style of play

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think it was always like this, it's just something that you don't realize until you get seriously into the fandom tbh. My friends and I play Pokemon casually, and then I get on PC and see people that are ultra competitive. Once you mature enough to reach out online, you realize that there are serious ways to play the game, and often a lot of people will decide to play seriously. However, even if I do play seriously I still play casually when I meet people in person, because there's really no need to play so seriously haha.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I used to just play Pokémon casually but that was just because I was too young to understand all the game mechanics and other things that were possible like EVs and IVs, natures, and so on. Tried competitive battling in-game but breeding without RNG became the biggest PAIN EVER, and because I'm too lazy for RNG I switched to Pokémon Online. After all that I do feel the urge to just play casually again, probably gonna do that with BW2.

Years
  • I just play for fun, never really been competitive. Sometimes I do it for challenges also.

Years
  • I mainly play it just for the fun of it. The really competitive aspect of Pokemon is overly intimidating and confusing to me. I've been considering dabbling in the competitive field for awhile now, but I fear I don't have the time or motivation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Pokemon games and I play the living heck out of them. However, some people just get so absorbed into it and take it so seriously that it kind of turns me off to the competitive side of it.

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
    Years
  • I play for fun, but competitive battling is also fun. I don't always win, and i don't always lose either. I do EV train and enter competitions, but i find that casually battling friends is the most fun. :D

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Ahh I love playing the game itself got a good time, I always find myself going back to older games especially Generation 4. I play competitively, I used to really be into singles, but VGC doubles is where it is at. The reason I love it so much is because there are so many strategies and it takes quite a bit of thinking. It's very challenging but that's what I like about it.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I exclusively play casually, mostly to try out new Pokemon, and to try out challenges. But I do find competitive scene intriguing, and I'll watch some competitive battles now and then; I'm just more of an observer than a participator. That's what I like about Pokemon, though. You can, essentially, play it however you want.

Years
  • Me and my friends were very competitive and we wouldn't race to do certain things in the game, but race to get the better team! XD​

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I guess I'm the epitome of the casual gamer. The only competitive battles I've ever had were with my brother using a link cable in Gen I, and neither of us liked doing them particularly much; I can count the number of Pokemon I've raised to Level 100 on one hand; I've EV trained one Pokemon and that was only to improve one of its crappier stats, rather than making one of its good stats better - I'm all for equality, y'all; I don't even like capturing legendaries, and have never downloaded a Pokemon from a Nintendo event! (The last one may not qualify me as a casual gamer... but it goes to show that I play Pokemon for my own reasons.)

Back