• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokemon Game Engine Help

gSpartan150

Intermediate Johto Trainer
Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2013
    Alright. I really want to make my own Pokemon game but I don't want to get in trouble with the law by using ROMs. I have tried the Java Pokemon Engine, PokeClone, and I've done numerous Google searches. Please help!

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Alright. I really want to make my own Pokemon game but I don't want to get in trouble with the law by using ROMs. I have tried the Java Pokemon Engine, PokeClone, and I've done numerous Google searches. Please help!

Have you tried Essentials?
    It's the most commonly used engine for RPG Maker XP used for Pokémon Games.

There's a whole subforum for it on Pokecommunity.

Years
  • spriters resource has a lot of sprites if you need those.
    It is also legal to use copy righted material if it is a parody

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    spriters resource has a lot of sprites if you need those.
    It is also legal to use copy righted material if it is a parody

Fan games are not parodies, and also with parodies you can get into slippery territory very quickly. There is a reason a lot of professional parody avoids blatantly ripping off copyrighted materials and tend to somewhat scramble the names of trademarks (think: South Park).

While Nintendo is not likely going to take action against non-commercial fan games, I don't think it's good idea give the impression to new developers that these games have any kind of legal standing if Nintendo does decide to issue a cease & desist.

Even if we look at Parodies exclusively it's not that clear-cut. It's pretty easy to defend a self-made video clip or short flash game parody like the PETA Pokémon Parody (which does not use copyrighted assets of the original games though). It becomes a lot more difficult to hold up the argument that a fully featured game that rips off copyrighted art/sound is a parody.

That said though, if you actually would rather use ROMs than doing that is probably in your best interest. Using someone else's (or your own) game engine rather than a ROM does not protect your game from Nintendo.
    Don't let that discourage you though, I don't know of any precedent case of Nintendo taking down a [Pokémon] fan game as long as money was not involved (e.g. charging for the game, accepting donations).

Back