• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon games should have more fashionable character designs

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    This. Is. Not. Even. Funny. You Want 10 Year Olds To Look Like THAT!? NO. You do not. This Is Not A Trip To the Local Mall. Kids Would Yell Because their Oh-So-Precious Clothes would Get Ripped And Then They Throw a Fit.

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
  • I think the playable character should look something like this:

Spoiler:

Lady Gaga and Tetsuya Nomura should make the character designs for the 6th gen.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Clothing fashion is purely commercially-driven and feeds off of common stupidity, flock mentality, what have you... an easy market to make money in nowadays; I find it truly pitiful.
    So yeah, answer to OP's question: No.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • No. They're target demographic is kids, not teenagers. What the heck would kids want with fashion?

frankly, I think Lyra was pretty fashionable-ish. I like the bow in her hat.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I don't see what was wrong with Lyra's outfit.
    Sure, overalls, but they're cute.
    And thigh high socks /drools.
    Anyways, maybe some new fashion, but nothing fancy when you are saving the world.

amberrelf

~♥HalleluYah!(:
    Years
  • I really agree with the people who are noting the practicality.
    I mean honestly, I doubt anyone would wear something "fashionable" if he/she was gonna be running around in tall grass and creeping through caves to catch wild creatures.
    I'd be wearing friggin shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. If it's cold, then sweats or something.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Are those practical?

I'm not kidding, if Lyra's overall was light blue, and tight around her legs, the shirt was white, then she'd look exceptional, but I still think Dawn's was better. Me encanta el whole college kid theme they gave her and Lucas :) How is this Pokemon Gaming? They're in the Amine as well...

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with all this talk about practicality. There are lots of fictional characters who can save the world and look good doing it.

Amilyia

.:~*Amilyia*~:.
    Years
  • Pokemon is not about whats in fashion. No one cares about that stuff. All they care about is getting pokemon. Clothing need to be practical not fashionable. If it needs to be realistic enough to be fashionable then it definitely needs to be practical. Besides, how old are these kids suppose to be? Ten? they're not going to give a damn what they're wearing. And who are the people who make pokemon really targeting from a marketing stand point, kids, children. They just don't care, but it would be neat to maybe change the colors of the clothing like we can change the lay out of the text screen, but frankly kids just don't care about fashion.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I have seen the screenshots for Pokemon Black and White and I am appalled that Ken Sugimori is still designing characters with backwards-facing baseball caps. They are so unfashionable.

I think that Ken Sugimori should work on designing more fashionable characters, then Pokemon might be held in higher regard by today's fashion conscious youth.

I have made two character designs which I think should be used in the next Pokemon game. Here they are:

Spoiler:

Do you agree that Pokemon character designs should be moving in this kind of direction?

Those are good designs, but I don't think ten year olds in japan are overly fashion conscious.

Besides it's their target audience that their aiming for. Yes it would be nice to have more sensible and mature looking characters, but pokemon is aimed at the wee ones.

It's a shame they can't make an older version of it, that goes more in depth showing you the IVs and EVs and whatnot, and with characters like the ones you've designed.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I do think we need more customization in the Pokemon games, however. Something along the lines of PBR's trainer editor would be fun to play around with and allow the players to have their own unique sprite when engaging in battles or trades with people in union rooms, etc.

If I had it my way, I'd dress my character like this in the future Pokemon games. (serious picture, not like the one I posted last time. XD)
    Spoiler:

リュザキ

Pokemon Detective
    Years
  • They don't change their clothes for months, you need something that will last in the wild going through forests, tall grass, water, desert, volcanoes and battles.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
  • I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with all this talk about practicality. There are lots of fictional characters who can save the world and look good doing it.

Look good? That's all opinion, sweetheart.

Sugimori has a trend with his mains. Hats and good movement clothes. They can't move around in clothes that tear easily or shrink when wet. Practicality is key. Designer clothing is fragile and expensive, which is what adventurous kids shouldn't wear.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I decided to try cell shading on them, failed epically :(

But let's not see this as professional :P So a nice compromise between fashion and practicality, no?:
    Spoiler:
    They sure do look older than 10 xD

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • It's funny how upset some people are getting over this.

I agree with OP, it can't hurt to look good and be practical. I wouldn't mind seeing an older protagonist, either. Playing as a little kid is weird sometimes.

Back