• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Garnet Ranch

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Okay, I had this neat(in my opinion) idea for a pokemon game. The problem is, I can't code at all. So if this were to be put into effect, I'd need a LOT of help. But anyway, onto the game. It's not a typical pokemon game like D/P, it's more of a side game type of idea.

Pokemon: Garnet Ranch follows the story of a young boy/girl who is sent by his/her parents to a pokemon ranch located on the small island of Triome to learn about and be around pokemon before becoming a trainer. The player's objective is to collect all 493 pokemon and care for them at the ranch. In order to obtain pokemon, the player must catch and raise local pokemon, and sell them at pokemon auctions to raise money to purchase other pokemon. Some pokemon can only be obtained via game events, such as legendaries. For example, pokemon may come to the ranch if they see other pokemon that are well cared-for, or if certain items are at the ranch. Caring for pokemon includes feeding, training, grooming, and playing with them, especially when they are young. As the ranch grows, the player can hire people to help care for the pokemon, and buy different items and decorations for the ranch. The player can breed pokemon and battle with them both in the wild and at the training center on the island. Once all pokemon are collected, the player can continue to raise, breed, train, and buy and sell pokemon.

I have lots of ideas about the game but I'm not sure if it's worth writing them all down, since I have no scripting skill. Let me know what you think of the concept anyway, though, and if you can help me out and help make the game, please let me know! I can give a lot more information if it's needed

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Was it narodin who had Garnet? And I just critted Ranch in the Showcase section...so narodin+Ranch=...
    Okay, I had this neat(in my opinion Let's see if I agree.) idea for a pokemon game. The problem is, I can't code at all It's not hard to learn...just takes a little initiative and persistence.. So if this were to be put into effect, I'd need a LOT of help. But anyway, onto the game. It's not a typical pokemon game like D/P Good., it's more of a side game type of idea.

Pokemon: Garnet Ranch follows the story of a young boy/girl who is sent by his/her parents to a pokemon ranch located on the small island of Triome ...three something... to learn about Wait...are the pkmn Ranch topics showing up because of the Pkmn Ranch game? THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE...yess.[/revelation] and be around pokemon before becoming a trainer ...okay, I buy that.. The player's objective is to collect all 493 pokemon and care for them at the ranch. In order to obtain pokemon, the player must catch and raise local pokemon, and sell them at pokemon auctions to raise money to purchase other pokemon ...so it's like Monster Rancher? Now that's a cool premise.. Some pokemon can only be obtained via game events, such as legendaries. For example, pokemon may come to the ranch Temporarily? if they see other pokemon that are well cared-for, or if certain items are at the ranch. Caring for pokemon includes feeding, training, grooming, and playing with them, especially when they are young. As the ranch grows, the player can hire people to help care for the pokemon And you can interact with 'em?, and buy different items and decorations for the ranch. The player can breed pokemon and battle with them both in the wild and at the training center on the island. Once all pokemon are collected, the player can continue to raise, breed, train, and buy and sell pokemon.

I have lots of ideas about the game but I'm not sure if it's worth writing them all down, since I have no scripting skill. Let me know what you think of the concept anyway, though, and if you can help me out and help make the game, please let me know! I can give a lot more information if it's needed
    It's pretty plotless (and would be even cooler if you added a small-scale one in there tied to ranch dex progress or game time), but that kind of game would be so much fun to just play around with...and it's easier to make than a normal pkmn game so long as you've got the spriter force.

Mystery Soul

Idea Ghost
    Years
  • This seems promising. I'd help any way I can =) Also, I have a few ideas you may want to consider:

-Ranch Buildings/Features; You can pay a carpenter/builder on the island to build new areas and features for your Ranch. Like, unless you have a lake made, you cannot buy certain Water Pokemon, or unless there is a Lava Pit, you can't buy/obtain Slugma, Groundon, or Heatran.

-Evolution is an option- Don't make it forced. Possibly, have a machine or PC feature that allows you to evolve Pokemon once they reach their evolution requirements.

-Concerning Legendary Pokemon and other event-based Pokemon- Include small, short side quests to obtain them. For example, since Eevee is commonly a gift Pokemon,make it a requirement to have 100 Pokemon on the Ranch and then have your Mom or someone else visit the Ranch and present you with Eevee for your hard work. Also, an Articuno/ other Legendary Bird Pokemon event could be, that they are injured and crash landed on your Ranch. it's your mission to return them to full health and, if you treated them properly, they may stay on the Ranch.

What do you think?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    It's pretty plotless (and would be even cooler if you added a small-scale one in there tied to ranch dex progress or game time), but that kind of game would be so much fun to just play around with...and it's easier to make than a normal pkmn game so long as you've got the spriter force.

Thanks for all of the input. Maybe there could be ranch awards given to your ranch once you reach different numbers of pokemon and play time?

This seems promising. I'd help any way I can =) Also, I have a few ideas you may want to consider:

-Ranch Buildings/Features; You can pay a carpenter/builder on the island to build new areas and features for your Ranch. Like, unless you have a lake made, you cannot buy certain Water Pokemon, or unless there is a Lava Pit, you can't buy/obtain Slugma, Groundon, or Heatran.

-Evolution is an option- Don't make it forced. Possibly, have a machine or PC feature that allows you to evolve Pokemon once they reach their evolution requirements.

-Concerning Legendary Pokemon and other event-based Pokemon- Include small, short side quests to obtain them. For example, since Eevee is commonly a gift Pokemon,make it a requirement to have 100 Pokemon on the Ranch and then have your Mom or someone else visit the Ranch and present you with Eevee for your hard work. Also, an Articuno/ other Legendary Bird Pokemon event could be, that they are injured and crash landed on your Ranch. it's your mission to return them to full health and, if you treated them properly, they may stay on the Ranch.

What do you think?
    Great ideas, I especially like the legendary pokemon idea, and the carpenter.

My next step is to run around reading tutorials like crazy and learn enough to make this work. lol And here's a quick map I made of the island(it's very rough).

Pokemon: Garnet Ranch

So, if this is to work, I'm going to need help with these things:

Maps
    Sprites/Overworlds
    Scripting
    How to Obtain Pokemon
    Ideas in General

And probably more but that's what I can think of right now. If anybody wants to help out, just PM me or reply here. And I guess since Garnet has already been taken, I'll come up with a new name. Maybe just Triome Ranch, since it's located in Triome(which has no meaning whatsoever, it's just a word I thought of randomly).

ah2190

XD002
    Years
  • You know, this isn't a bad idea at all.

But, then again, I think you might want to spice things up a bit. Maybe some way through the game, once you have managed to obtain about 25 to 50 different Pokemon, (of which you don't have to keep them all on the ranch - the player could sell most of them, if he/she wanted) rumors start spreading across the island that a certain team or group (maybe a re-activated Cipher?) are stealing Pokemon. It might even be that in order to get one of the rare Pokemon, you would have to drive them away from the island, and it might even be that if you don't take heed of the rumors, that some of the Pokemon on the ranch could get stolen by the very group or team that the rumors were warning you about. Now THAT would make it a bit more like a Pokemon game, because most, if not all, official Pokemon games have a team or group that causes trouble. (Eg. Team Rocket, Team Magma, Team Galaxy, Cipher) And, that would be one of the things that would make me want to play this game.

I'll tell you what - when I am next able to work on my own project, I'll also help with making this game. I'll be focusing more on my own project, of course, but with RPG Maker XP, I might be able to start to create the region of Triome. All that I ask for is that once this goes into full production, with a production team and all that if it is needed, that when I'm unable to help out that I get the updates that would affect what I need to do when I'm next able to help, and that I recieve credit where credit is due. That's all I ask.

I'll let you think about this, and you can PM me your reply. But don't worry - if you have to say no to my offer, I don't mind at all. But as long as I'm able to keep an eye on this game through the public updates if I'm not on the staff working on this game, I'll be happy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    You know, this isn't a bad idea at all.

But, then again, I think you might want to spice things up a bit. Maybe some way through the game, once you have managed to obtain about 25 to 50 different Pokemon, (of which you don't have to keep them all on the ranch - the player could sell most of them, if he/she wanted) rumors start spreading across the island that a certain team or group (maybe a re-activated Cipher?) are stealing Pokemon. It might even be that in order to get one of the rare Pokemon, you would have to drive them away from the island, and it might even be that if you don't take heed of the rumors, that some of the Pokemon on the ranch could get stolen by the very group or team that the rumors were warning you about. Now THAT would make it a bit more like a Pokemon game, because most, if not all, official Pokemon games have a team or group that causes trouble. (Eg. Team Rocket, Team Magma, Team Galaxy, Cipher) And, that would be one of the things that would make me want to play this game.

Thanks. I think the idea of Cipher starting to steal pokemon is a good idea. And I'll PM you. ;)

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    This seems like a nice idea for a game, i have a suggestions for this that you might like, it's called the...

...Ranch Star Ranking System: When you start you have a 1 star ranch which only allows you to take care of some of the most basic Pokémon(Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie, Magikarp ect...)and all baby Pokémon, but as you progress your Ranch's Stars increase and your able to look after more powerful Pokémon.

If you want, PM me and i can explain the idea in much more detail, a ranch was something i was originally thinking of adding into my game, and this was to be one if it's features, but decided against it because it would limit a normal Pokémon game too much, which led me to scrap the whole Ranch idea in my game, but i would be more than happy to see it use in another game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Love the idea! Maybe you can also unlock different items and such when you add more ranch stars. Like, you could add a lake to your ranch at a certain number of stars, and have more pokemon in general on the ranch, as well as the actual pokemon that you can keep.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Oof. One of the most painful things I see is a botched regions map. Look at Houndoomed's tutorial if you need help with that. Even if that wasn't the look you were going for, you might want to create an outline around the ocean, thicker route outlines, and at least the idea of city magnitude (was that too science-y?). A good concept that will most likely remain fresh to players as long as you constantly put up goals. For example:

- Customizable ranch. The ability to change things and unlock cosmetic features for your personal "creation", whatever the game, is always a useful feature.

- Legendaries. More importantly, the ability to unlock special auction sessions after you reach a certain ranch star rating, and being able to get legendary pokemon there. Using an FFTA2-style auction system can be very addictive, especially with good prizes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Oof. One of the most painful things I see is a botched regions map. Look at Houndoomed's tutorial if you need help with that.

lol Yeah that wouldn't be the final one. I just drew it real quick, but I'll check out the tutorial and work on it.

A good concept that will most likely remain fresh to players as long as you constantly put up goals. For example:

- Customizable ranch. The ability to change things and unlock cosmetic features for your personal "creation", whatever the game, is always a useful feature.

- Legendaries. More importantly, the ability to unlock special auction sessions after you reach a certain ranch star rating, and being able to get legendary pokemon there. Using an FFTA2-style auction system can be very addictive, especially with good prizes.

Thanks for the input. :) I'm definitely hoping to make the ranch highly customizable, and have a lot of unlockables.

ah2190

XD002
    Years
  • Thanks. I think the idea of Cipher starting to steal pokemon is a good idea. And I'll PM you. ;)
    Indeed. And, maybe near the very end of the game, once you've managed to had almost every Pokemon (except for a few) on the ranch - that means getting the highest star ranking for your ranch and all that - XD002 might pay the island a visit due to the actitivy that Cipher has been making there, and offer to let you look after his most faveroute Pokemon - Luiga (To Cipher, it's XD001) - if you help him out with takeing out Cipher. And another thing - the higher ranked the ranch gets, the more desprete Cipher gets. But once you've helped XD002 out, they won't bother the ranch anymore. And, seeing as you've have raised all Pokemon apart from Mew and Mewtwo, then Mew will visit the ranch. As for Mewtwo... I think that, once Mew has visited the ranch, a special auction would take place - one that, unlike the others, keeps on going until you have out-bidded everyone else - and the prize is none other than Mewtwo!

Mystery Soul

Idea Ghost
    Years
  • I'm glad you took my ideas into consideration. I'd love to play a game like this, and no, I don't have MyPokemonRanch, or whatever it's called. Also, here's another idea:

-How about a sort of option to have a Pokemon on your ranch follow you around. Depending on the Pokemon, you can travel in differet ways or have them use a special power. Example: To travel to a nearby island, you would need a Water-Type Pokemon to follow you. Or, to access a certain part of Triome, like a forest ala Celebi, you'd need a Fire-Type to burn some underbrush and debris.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed. And, maybe near the very end of the game, once you've managed to had almost every Pokemon (except for a few) on the ranch - that means getting the highest star ranking for your ranch and all that - XD002 might pay the island a visit due to the actitivy that Cipher has been making there, and offer to let you look after his most faveroute Pokemon - Luiga (To Cipher, it's XD001) - if you help him out with takeing out Cipher. And another thing - the higher ranked the ranch gets, the more desprete Cipher gets. But once you've helped XD002 out, they won't bother the ranch anymore. And, seeing as you've have raised all Pokemon apart from Mew and Mewtwo, then Mew will visit the ranch. As for Mewtwo... I think that, once Mew has visited the ranch, a special auction would take place - one that, unlike the others, keeps on going until you have out-bidded everyone else - and the prize is none other than Mewtwo!

Oooh, good idea.

I'm glad you took my ideas into consideration. I'd love to play a game like this, and no, I don't have MyPokemonRanch, or whatever it's called. Also, here's another idea:

-How about a sort of option to have a Pokemon on your ranch follow you around. Depending on the Pokemon, you can travel in differet ways or have them use a special power. Example: To travel to a nearby island, you would need a Water-Type Pokemon to follow you. Or, to access a certain part of Triome, like a forest ala Celebi, you'd need a Fire-Type to burn some underbrush and debris.

Good idea. I was planning on the player being able to take a regular party of pokemon with them when they travel, but I like the idea of the pokemon just following you, so maybe you'll be able to take 7 with you at a time. But you can only use the one following you outside of battle. The others are just in case you run into wild pokemon.

I'm working now on a list of all the pokemon that can be found by travelling, and all the ones that are recieved via event, and the ones that have to be won at auction. I'm also making a list of ranch star rankings and what each one really means. When I have them done I'll post them for you guys to look at.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Sorry for double post, but I've finished the list and I wanted to give this a little bump. Here's a list of every pokemon, and a quick note of how it's obtained in the game. Also, I made marks of where everything is on my map.

Spoiler:

ah2190

XD002
    Years
  • Don't worry, starryday - as you are the creator of Garnet Ranch, you are allowed to double post if you are making an update.

So, this means there will be at most 65 Events in which you can get new Pokemon, 152 Pokemon that you have to get by evolving, 7 Pokemon that you can only get at auction, 2 Pokemon that you will have to breed, and the remaining 267 Pokemon can be captured in the region. This is nice.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • This looks pretty good, like MPR, but with some actual gameplay. just wanna sugest a few things:
    1) If the programmer is up to it, have time-based captures and events. E.g., Delibird's event or whatever can only be accesed on Christmas day, or Murkrow can only be caught at night.
    2) Again, if the programmer is up to it, Online auctions. You could have people who want rid of their Poke's to talk to someone, they wait their turn, and then go into a room, and more people can come in who have chosen to try and get your Pokemon. Everyone will have their chosen Pokemon out to try and swap. The auctioneer can choose who they want to swap with, and the auction will end. Sounds a bit complicated, I guess.

I didn't read all the posts too hard, so these may have already been sugested. Also, are ALL the Pokemon on that list?

EDIT: Also, I can do moderate spriting, if there is anything you want. I have never done any PkMn spriting, but EarthBound sprites are more or less the same.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2009
    Nice Idea, and since I'm a nice guy, I'll redo your map for ya in both Gen IV style and Gen III Style... Joy...

Thanks so much! I love the Gen IV one.

This looks pretty good, like MPR, but with some actual gameplay. just wanna sugest a few things:
    1) If the programmer is up to it, have time-based captures and events. E.g., Delibird's event or whatever can only be accesed on Christmas day, or Murkrow can only be caught at night.
    2) Again, if the programmer is up to it, Online auctions. You could have people who want rid of their Poke's to talk to someone, they wait their turn, and then go into a room, and more people can come in who have chosen to try and get your Pokemon. Everyone will have their chosen Pokemon out to try and swap. The auctioneer can choose who they want to swap with, and the auction will end. Sounds a bit complicated, I guess.

I didn't read all the posts too hard, so these may have already been sugested. Also, are ALL the Pokemon on that list?

EDIT: Also, I can do moderate spriting, if there is anything you want. I have never done any PkMn spriting, but EarthBound sprites are more or less the same.

Love the ideas, especially the online auctions! And yep, all pokemon are on that list.

Back