• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Goofy Emerald

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2022
    Hello Pokecommunity.

You've probably seen the trend of pokemon games that make use of the idea of regional forms to give the same old pokemon new looks, moves, types and all that Jazz. There's been a hack for almost every gba game out there. I see your Fool's Gold, your AlteRed, your Ephemerald and I'm here to raise you to the next level.

Say hello to Goofy Emerald.

Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald

Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald

Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald
    Pokemon Goofy Emerald

You can find a zip file of the patches and documentation here at this link. Please patch the files using Lunar IPS to Pokemon Emerald U rom for a functional experience.

This game features all new types that replace the 17 types normally found in hoenn. As there are 17 new types and type matchups to learn fairy type is not included or replaced with something ridiculous like McDonald's Sprite type or something. Art and other assets have not been replaced or modified in any way. Additionally, Pokemon BST has not been adjusted in any way. There are two different versions of the hack included in the zip file.

The Base version is largely vanilla Hoenn with pokemon types and movesets modified to match their new forms. Several moves have been buffed or otherwise tweaked to provide a bit more even footing for some types that I felt got the short end of the stick a little bit. A few tms have been adjusted as well. Gym Leaders, Team Magma/Aqua and the Elite four had their teams altered to fit with the new pokemon types. Additionally, Cyndaquil and Squirtle replace Treeko and Mudkip as starter pokemon. This patch is a bit incomplete as the gym guide will not help you, but I'll maybe get to that one of these days. I still feel plenty of people can appreciate a normal Hoenn experience without much authorial editing, so that's why this edition of the game still exists more or less. There's merit to it if you want to just learn the type chart for sure.

The Plus version is the patch I was largely focusing on. This version of the game features the Physical/Special split and about 375ish of the pokemon present in Emerald's data. The only pokemon deliberately not included are legendary Pokemon that aren't already in Emerald. This version of the game features a mildly revamped level curve and is in my opinion, slightly more challenging, though not overly so. The gym guide in this version of the game is competent and he will have relevant information for you, unlike in the base edition. This game is basically the full authorial version of the game with a challenge and level curve akin to what I think pokemon should be. There's a document in the zip file that has the levels of all major trainers in this as well as locational data for wild Pokemon encounter tables if you want something specific and don't want to run around forever looking for stuff.

There are links to a few google docs in one of the notepad files which has a type chart, a defensive match up sheet, and a list of all pokemon's types as well as all move types, P/S orientation, and adjusted base power. There's also a link that has a loose outline of what moves pokemon gain and lose access to, though it doesn't list specifics. This was somewhat community built so there's some interesting dev commentary from myself and a few of my friends on those google docs, if your definition of interesting involves people arguing over what type zubat should be and other similar topics.

Anyway this hack is still in development as I am attempting to polish up the script to remove mentions of vanilla types, tms, starters, etc. but it's more or less completed and playable completely blind as well so I figure it's probably about time to post it. Please let me know if anything in the game doesn't match up with documentation or if anything seems egregiously weird or something. I've only done a few cursory bug tests and there's probably a few that have avoided squishing up until now.

I hope you enjoy!

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    This hack looks great! I am playing it right now and it works smoothly. Sadly in the text file the second link doesn't work anymore (the one with the typing for each pokemon), can you post a new link please?

Also, do you have a Discord?

Back