• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Great Tenkaichi

What battle screen do you prefer? [i](Please read the new battle screen description before voting.)[

• New battle screen ([url=https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9751247#post9751247]described

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Classic Pokemon battle screen

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LorisC

Nothing is real, everything is permitted!
Years
I think the current ballance might be a little bit hard. I just generated a list to generate the amount of fighters their exist with that specific primary type. And this was the result:

Number of total fighters with primary type:
  • SAIYAN = 37
  • SSJ = 41
  • GOD = 12
  • EARTHLING = 32
  • NAMEKIAN = 6
  • ALIEN = 110
  • BEAST = 5
  • DEMON = 49
  • DARK = 0
  • FRIEZARACE = 16
  • ANDROID = 36
  • TUFFLE = 9
  • DRAGON = 0

I notice that their where still are a lot of fighters missing. So in the long run it probally wouldn't matter but it might help for some insight. I noticed that things like the Shenron line isn't included yet so that would probally fill in some holes. It will be a difficult task however to generate 110 unique fighters with the Alien type. I probally can do a list with the secondary typing included as well.

If you want some type of overview just ask. With data object that I have generated I can print data rather easy. Here's an example of the code I used to generate the list above:

Code:
//data object not included
var typeList = {};
for (var type of data.types) typeList[type] = [];
for (var fighters in data.content) {
  tempType = data.content[fighters]["Type1"];
  for (var type of data.types)
    if (tempType === type) typeList[type].push(data.content[fighters]);
}
print = "";
for (var type of data.types) {
  print += type + " = " + typeList[type].length + "\n";
}

Code:
[B]Number of total fighters with primary type (without secondary typing):[/B]
[LIST]
[*]SAIYAN = 28
[*]SSJ = 30
[*]GOD = 10
[*]EARTHLING = 31
[*]NAMEKIAN = 6
[*]ALIEN = 105
[*]BEAST = 0
[*]DEMON = 38
[*]DARK = 0
[*]FRIEZARACE = 14
[*]ANDROID = 29
[*]TUFFLE = 6
[*]DRAGON = 0
[/LIST]

[B]Number of total fighters with primary type (with secondary typing):[/B]
[LIST]
[*]SAIYAN = 9
[*]SSJ = 11
[*]GOD = 2
[*]EARTHLING = 1
[*]NAMEKIAN = 0
[*]ALIEN = 5
[*]BEAST = 5
[*]DEMON = 11
[*]DARK = 0
[*]FRIEZARACE = 2
[*]ANDROID = 7
[*]TUFFLE = 3
[*]DRAGON = 0
[/LIST]

Some fighters still need to have their type properly assigned, I used alien a lot of times without thinking too much, but watching at each of them, a lot of Fighters currently labeled as alien will be reassigned

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
Some fighters still need to have their type properly assigned, I used alien a lot of times without thinking too much, but watching at each of them, a lot of Fighters currently labeled as alien will be reassigned

Yeah, I thought something like that. Well I generated the full list anyway. I just have to rerun the code when it get's updated in the future. I wanted to include the full code but it seems fiddler run slowly through it. Probally because process restrictions:

List of all possible type combinations with the amount of fighter it includes:
https://jsfiddle.net/h99qhudo/4/

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
I think I have a solution for the starter problem. In a game called dragonball heroes. Starter characters where made. I made a list of it:

Spoiler:

O yeah I also found the name of the Neko Majin:

Name = Abra
Type1 = Neko Majin
Source: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Abra

Last edited:

LorisC

Years
I think I have a solution for the starter problem. In a game called dragonball heroes. Starter characters where made. I made a list of it:

Spoiler:

O yeah I also found the name of the Neko Majin:

Name = Abra
Type1 = Neko Majin
Source: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Abra

I know dragonball heroes, there are a lot of interesting characters in it, but the main problem is that there aren't a lot of images available to use.
I we can find images of those characters and their main transformations, we can think to use them as starters.

LorisC

Years
I know dragonball heroes, there are a lot of interesting characters in it, but the main problem is that there aren't a lot of images available to use.
I we can find images of those characters and their main transformations, we can think to use them as starters.

I've checked some things... The main transformations should be available as images for everyone.
Every character has normal form, class-up, super glass-up and god class-up.

It's not that bad! That way every starter will have the same amount of transformations, and that lets us to make them balanced.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020

Not for all, but some of them are actually easy to render. Here's an example for Nico:

Kid Nico

Nico

Super Nico

God Nico

LorisC

Years
I've checked some things... The main transformations should be available as images for everyone.
Every character has normal form, class-up, super glass-up and god class-up.

It's not that bad! That way every starter will have the same amount of transformations, and that lets us to make them balanced.

There are also 3 additional ones added later, but only 1 of them has good images: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Chamel

He can be the pick of the rival, or the main fighter of one of the evil characters... we'll see!

LorisC

Years
Not for all, but some of them are actually easy to render. Here's an example for Nico:

Kid Nico

Nico

Super Nico

God Nico

I like the idea!
I'll add their entries immediately to the list!

Ah, you missed a tranformation!
The one in the middle is Nico in her first transformation:
latest

...... The hardest to find are the saiyans!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
I like the idea!
I'll add their entries immediately to the list!

Ah, you missed a tranformation!
The one in the middle is Nico in her first transformation:
latest

...... The hardest to find are the saiyans!
I didn't find a high quality image for middle Nico. So I just photoshopped to create kid Nico.

I also don't think we need all of them. Basicly if we can generate 3 starter of it that have a ballanced type triangle it's already perfect. Their can always be requests to some artiest to create the other ones.

LorisC

Years
I didn't find a high quality image for middle Nico. So I just photoshopped to create kid Nico.

I also don't think we need all of them. Basicly if we can generate 3 starter of it that have a ballanced type triangle it's already perfect. Their can always be requests to some artiest to create the other ones.

I agree about the fact that, for now, we don't need them all... An idea can be to use 1 or 2 starters for each type used in heroes, that way each player can choose with which type they want to start, but that makes something like 11 choices: male and female saiyan, namekian, fat Majin, kid Majin, Kai, the 3 types of androids (male, female and cell-like), Frieza race and Demon.
Each type have particular abilities, so I think we can balance them pretty well even if they are more than 3.

I'll check if heroes already uses some stats to define the species, otherwise I'll try to invent something!
In the 2nd case, there's also xenoverse that uses similar species differences and we can use its stats differences as base.

OK, I checked and dB heroes doesn't use stats!
We have 6 stats we can use to balance them, plus some eventual special properties of each race.

The types are:
Saiyan - high atk, with their zenkai ability that empowers them the more their HP drops.
Namekian - high Def and sp.def + Namekian fusion
Majins - high HP and with regenerative properties, maybe we can make them able to recover a small amount of HP at the end of each turn.
Kai - balanced fighters, we can think of a special trait for them
Androids - maybe high spd... We'll see!
Frieza - high sp.atk
Demon - highest overall stats, but more difficult to train and with only an evolution.

For now they're all ideas, everything can still change!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
I agree about the fact that, for now, we don't need them all... An idea can be to use 1 or 2 starters for each type used in heroes, that way each player can choose with which type they want to start, but that makes something like 11 choices: male and female saiyan, namekian, fat Majin, kid Majin, Kai, the 3 types of androids (male, female and cell-like), Frieza race and Demon.
Each type have particular abilities, so I think we can balance them pretty well even if they are more than 3.

I'll check if heroes already uses some stats to define the species, otherwise I'll try to invent something!
In the 2nd case, there's also xenoverse that uses similar species differences and we can use its stats differences as base.

OK, I checked and dB heroes doesn't use stats!
We have 6 stats we can use to balance them, plus some eventual special properties of each race.

The types are:
Saiyan - high atk, with their zenkai ability that empowers them the more their HP drops.
Majins - high HP and with regenerative properties, maybe we can make them able to recover a small amount of HP at the end of each turn.
Frieza - high sp.atk
Demon - highest overall stats, but more difficult to train and with only an evolution.

For now they're all ideas, everything can still change!
I think 11 would be a little bit overkill don't you think. I personally would just keep it with 3 like:

- ??? (saiyan, atk class)
- Nico (android, spd class, their energyless so I'm guessing moves with high pp) What for example could be a cool ability is that they regenerate pp over time maybe in or out of combat dunno.)
- The 3th could be a Majin, Namekian or Frieza Race

What you could do as well is let you able to obtain other 3 starters sometimes later in the game where your options on that point would be:
- ??? (bio-android)
- ??? (???)
- ??? (???)

The Demon doesn't really feel like a starter. Just make it obtainable in the wild or something. From my experience if you overload options people tend to go to something they recognizes.

Another idea would be that you pick 3 different starters in the demo and take 3 new ones in the final version.

O yeah found the Nico image I got it out a video maybe their are others to collect their:

edite found more on the official site, it seems that the image is her 2th form:

The saiyan transformations are also kinda unique since despite they have the option to go SSJ they have 3 other forms as well:

Last edited:

LorisC

Years
I think 11 would be a little bit overkill don't you think. I personally would just keep it with 3 like:

- ??? (saiyan, atk class)
- Nico (android, spd class, their energyless so I'm guessing moves with high pp) What for example could be a cool ability is that they regenerate pp over time maybe in or out of combat dunno.)
- The 3th could be a Majin, Namekian or Frieza Race

What you could do as well is let you able to obtain other 3 starters sometimes later in the game where your options on that point would be:
- ??? (bio-android)
- ??? (???)
- ??? (???)

The Demon doesn't really feel like a starter. Just make it obtainable in the wild or something. From my experience if you overload options people tend to go to something they recognizes.

Another idea would be that you pick 3 different starters in the demo and take 3 new ones in the final version.

O yeah found the Nico image I got it out a video maybe their are others to collect their:

edite found more on the official site, it seems that the image is her 2th form:

The saiyan transformations are also kinda unique since despite they have the option to go SSJ they have 3 other forms as well:

The problems with the saiyans are the lack of images showing them in ssj, ssj2 and ssj3... I tried to find something, but the only ones I managed to find are Beat and Note!

I'll think about the number of starters to use, it's true that 11 are a bit too much, but I'm not entirely convinced to use only 3 races.
The 2 ways I can use now are:
- I make the ones removed from the starter choices available in the wild, maybe even not too late in the game, but as rare finds
- I find another way to give starters without having the player directly choose them, for example basing the choice on something else.
I even have an idea for that! If we find a way to make the player decide the race, each race has 3 fighters, keeping the selection to 3 as you said.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
The problems with the saiyans are the lack of images showing them in ssj, ssj2 and ssj3... I tried to find something, but the only ones I managed to find are Beat and Note!

I'll think about the number of starters to use, it's true that 11 are a bit too much, but I'm not entirely convinced to use only 3 races.
The 2 ways I can use now are:
- I make the ones removed from the starter choices available in the wild, maybe even not too late in the game, but as rare finds
- I find another way to give starters without having the player directly choose them, for example basing the choice on something else.
I even have an idea for that! If we find a way to make the player decide the race, each race has 3 fighters, keeping the selection to 3 as you said.

The thing is, do we really need those SSJ forms. As far ballance goes those forms are extra on top of their base evolutions:

- Kid
- Base
- Super
- God

Seem to be the main line for every fighter starter. So in that regard their SSJ forms are actually mega evolutions. An example of the leveling that could be done:

- Kid (evolve on lv 16 to base)
- - SSJ1 (mega)
- Base (evolve on lv 36 to super)
- - SSJ2 (mega)
- Super (evolve on lv 68 to god)
- - SSJ3 (mega)
- God
- - SSJ-BLUE (mega)

So for the current version we just keep it with the main 4. And let an artist handle the mega evolutions for them. Their is no need for a complex evolution line for these starters. In fact you will have to invent fanmade mega's for the other non saiyan fighters. So this would be a perfect excuse to stall out the mega versions for these releases. With all those fusions you are planning you will have to involve an artist add some point. So better just add this on the list.

Keep in mind that the primary typing of the starters are all "earthling". Since they actually transform into a saiyen/majin/bio-android/etc...

So an example for Nico in the near future:
- Kid Nico [earthling/android]
--M- Super Kid Nico (fanmade)
- Nico [earthling/android]
--M- Excellent Nico (fanmade)
- Super Nico [earthling/android]
--M- Splendid Nico (fanmade)
- God Nico [god/android]
--M- Superior Nico (fanmade)

What actually could be done for the mega evolution for the android line is to change their typing to earthling/bio-android for example. To create a similar feeling you have with saiyan mega's that go from earthling/saiyen to earthling/ssj. This can make Genome very unique as well since he's already earthling/bio-android in his non-mega forms.

Edite: Quickly rendered a work of an artist on Nico 2 but it kinda failed a bit. Can be used as a placeholder till their is a better version:

edite: It's indeed hard to find some of the saiyans forms. It seems that artist didn't really created much of them beside the main two. I found a video where someone collected the best images:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnbYTr-6yw

So yeah an request to an artist is really needed for this one.

It also seems their is a 4th & 5th saiyan starter called Viola & Forte. So that means their are 3 males & 3 females. Jezus they almost have more starters than the pokémon series...

This makes:

- Beat & Note (hero class)
- Erito & Viola (elite class)
- Basaku & Forte (beserk class)

It seems that every class has a hero, elite & beserk form. I don't known if any other class has character with a different gender but it seems most of them are genderless in the system.

So I have an idea for the system:

What you could do is let the professor ask you the following questions:
- Question 1: Do you prefer Male or Female (only effects the saiyan class)
- Question 2: Pick a style: hero, elite or beserk
- Question 3: The difficulty: Easy, Hard, Nightmare

Easy contains: Saiyan, Namekian and Freezarace
Hard contains: Shinjin(=Kai), Majin and Android
Nightmare contains: Demon

With these 3 filters you will eventually always get 3 options in front of you. But the questions that where asked before that will determ what those 3 options will be (or only 1 option in case you take the Nightmare difficulty). The demon race could be like you mention be a fighter with a very high exp cap what makes it a nightmare to level it. It's very similar to how you level the dragon types in pokémon actually. It takes a lot of grinding but eventually you get rewarded.

So in theorie you can play the game 24 times with an unique starter... In total that would add 96 additional fighters to the fightersdex... With the mega added to it that would be 192 fighters. Holy shit... This might go a little bit overboard...

Last edited:

LorisC

Years
Excluding the Saiyans, I can obtain images of everyone else, I already started, it isn't a problem to get the transformed forms of the starters.

I was thinking to use the base forms for Saiyans too, we have pictures of each of them, the SSj forms can be Mega Evolutions as you said. That can be the unique trait of the Saiyans.

In DB Heroes there are 8 races, with 3 fighters each:
- Male Saiyan
- Female Saiyan
- Android
- Frieza Race
- Majin
- Namekian
- Kai
- Demon
That makes, as you said, 24 starters, each of them with 4 stages (Normal, Class-Up, Super Class-up, God Class-Up)... 96 entries can be a little to much for starters only!
Thas's why I suggested to put only the really different fighters, Like 1 Male Saiyan, 1 Female Saiyan, 1 Namekian... I arrived to distinguish 11 of them.
The remaining ones can still be used as Wild Fighters, and/or main Fighters of some characters.

LorisC

Years
Excluding the Saiyans, I can obtain images of everyone else, I already started, it isn't a problem to get the transformed forms of the starters.

I was thinking to use the base forms for Saiyans too, we have pictures of each of them, the SSj forms can be Mega Evolutions as you said. That can be the unique trait of the Saiyans.

- Male Saiyan
- Female Saiyan
- Android
- Frieza Race
- Majin
- Namekian
- Kai
- Demon
That makes, as you said, 24 starters, each of them with 4 stages (Normal, Class-Up, Super Class-up, God Class-Up)... 96 entries can be a little to much for starters only!
Thas's why I suggested to put only the really different fighters, Like 1 Male Saiyan, 1 Female Saiyan, 1 Namekian... I arrived to distinguish 11 of them.
The remaining ones can still be used as Wild Fighters, and/or main Fighters of some characters.

I was also thinking to make Oak ask things to decide which choices to show... if we put 12 of them that'd make 4 sets of 3 fighters, easier to split using 3 questions.

The 11 fighters I selected in my last post were:
- Beat for the male Saiyans
- Note for the Female Saiyans
- Froze for the Frieza Race
- Kabra for the Majins, similar to Fat Buu
- Salaga as additional Majin, similar to Kid Buu
- Tsumuri for the Namekians
- Nimu as a Male Android
- Nicoas a female Android
- Genome as a Bio-Android
- Zen for the Kais
- Chamel for the Demons

Using them almost all the types are represented, to reach 12 an additional one needs to be added, it could be:
- Rezok, a Frieza Race fighter that uses the Meta form like Cooler
- A female Majin, they don't appear in Heroes, but they exists.
- Something else!

If we use the Female Majin, that makes 3 female starters (Note, Nico and the Majin), and that'd be pretty useful if the player selects Female as preferred Gender!

The 4 groups can be:
- Note, Nico and the female Majin
- Beat, Nimu, Kabra
- Froze, Genome, Salaga
- Tsumuri, Zen, Chamel

That are, respectively, the females, the males counterparts to the females, the ones similar to the main villains of DBZ and the mystic ones.

The Oak's questions can be:
1 - Do you prefer to play as Male or Female?
2 - Do you prefer Good characters, Evil Characters or Gods?

That seems a nice workaround to the multitude of entries to me, what do you think?

EDIT
I missed some fighters! We don't have to invent anything! There are 2 other females fighters, so there's no need to use a female Majin:
- Wairu
- Fen
Both of them are Kais.

The same reasonings I made with the Female Majin are still valid, but we don't have to search for an unidentified female majin fighter!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020

- Male Saiyan
- Female Saiyan
- Android
- Frieza Race
- Majin
- Namekian
- Kai
- Demon

Yeah maybe for rivals this might be intressting. I actually have a theory for the hero, elite and beserk class:
- Hero: The injected dna becomes primary type (for example Beat - Saiyan/Earthling)
- Elite: The injected dna come secondary type (for example Erito - Earthling/Saiyan)
- Beserker: The injected dna compleetly takes over (for example Basaku - Saiyan), in some cases it even mutates the type like in case of Genome where his typing becomes Bio-Android.

Despite they shouldn't all be starters. I would suggest to give them the same treatment for starters as far moves and stats goes.

The reason why I suggested the difficulty question is that maybe some starters could make the game a little bit to easy or to hard depending on what they picked. I give an example for the Namikian starter than you can use to obtain a massive level advantage and that could make the game a little bit to easy for veterans. While for people with less experience will find it a nice addition. Like mentioned before an overflow of options can prevent the selection from been random.

If you are going to filter out the starters than I suggest you pick the ones with the better designs. Personally for me that is:
- Nico
- Basaka (that's the beserk form, I didn't find his real name, I asume it's Basaka because of the translation the other two names are Froze and Rezok)
- Beat

I wouldn't add demon on the list than since they only have 1 evolution. So you can easy stick with 6 fighters. As far the ballancing goes I asume it's something like this:

...Sai.. > Freezarace > Namekian > Saiyan > Fre...
...Andr..> Majin > Shinjin > Android > Maji...

Shinjin (late) > "Primary Type God"
Android (early) > "Primary Type Saiyan"

That's why maybe it's intressting to let the professor ask you a question. So your options suddenly goes down from 6 to 3. Their is also a chance people are going to grab for option on type that are rare in the game rather than personal preference. It's really hard to ballance this out properly.

Last edited:

LorisC

Years
I'm keeping Chamel on the list for the simple reason that, if I have to play the game, most likely I'll pick him!

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
I'm keeping Chamel on the list for the simple reason that, if I have to play the game, most likely I'll pick him!
Than just include it as a question like I mentioned. Picking him will automaticly make the game a lot harder and probally a lot of players will like this. But that's also the reason why players should be informed when this option becomes available.

As far female majins goes. I believe female majjns are blue.

-----

As far the abilities of every race goes I want to go further in details with this:

I think it's a good idea to let them have this. But that's just the basic ability.

I suggest that they each of these types also have an out of combat ability and that's getting exp after been revived or healed after been fainted as part of the zenkai ability.

Alternatively the ability to gain more exp when others in your party are higher level than you.

Seems perfect

That in the addition to the out of combat ability that transforms fighters into cookies (potions) mechanic.

It feels like the perfect type to give some sort of healing ability. Based on their level they can cure other fighters wounds. It has a cooldown offcourse:
- Level 1+: heal
- Level 10+: heal+ ,cure status effect A (not sure what type of status effects their will be in the game)
- Level 20+: heal++ ,cure status effect A & B
- Level 30+: heal+++ ,cure status effect A & B & C
- Level 40+: heal++++ ,cure status effect A & B & C & D
- etc...

High speed and the ability to attack 2 times in a row.

For the out of combat ability able to restore pp while moving arround (based on footsteps) as part of the limitless ki concept. It would work nicely in addition to the speed and double attack concept.

Frieza - high sp.atk
The perfect ability for the freeza race would be a sneak attack ability that allows them to attack first in the start of the battle. This sneak attack also always crits.

The out of combat ability could be if he faints you can still use potions on him what revives him. I do believe their are tricks that can be used to make this mechanic work.

Alternatively you could do something let him collect exp when other fighters in his party fight. Than when out of combat you can consume all the exp he has collected. Basicly personal rare candies. The concept could be used to reflect Freeza race abillity to get extreemly strong without having to train add all. Just by watching the fights he's able to gain experience.

For ability I guess something like higher crit ratio's on abilities. As far the out of combat ability goes I really have no idea. Maybe something like able to use more IV's or something.

Last edited:

LorisC

Years
I like most of the ideas.

Not sure if the "attack 2 times" ability will be possible.
in alternative, we can think something else regarding infinite energy.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2020
I like most of the ideas.

Not sure if the "attack 2 times" ability will be possible.
in alternative, we can think something else regarding infinite energy.

I'm kinda sure attacking 2 times is possible. I believe one of these mechanics should make it work:
- Setting up a one time speed drop to 1 (making the next attack priority, not sure it's possible to lower it before it calculates the priority tho)
- Setting up a invisible flinch (I'm not sure however it's possible to hide, copy or alter this)
- Double Kick mechanic (despite this is probally limited to moves)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Priority

Your right it indeed seems difficult to be able to attack two times in a row without adding the flinch or other stun after using the first attack.

So I guess only this option is possible:
- Your next attack flinches (1 attack cooldown). To generate the dubble attack feeling.

--------

I still think they androids should get the feeling they are able to attack multiplay times.

-------

For fighters like Hit this mechanic actually could work. Since you need the feeling that the enemies is trying to attack but he can't because of the time skip. However I don't think this mechanic is needed for him since you can just implement this in his abilities.

Edite: I have an idea:
You can duplicate the sleep status and edit it. And limit it for 1 turn, than change the text:
- "Target is asleap" edit to "The enemy is overwhelmed by your speed" or "..."
- "Woke up" edite to "The enemy is on alert" or ""

Back