• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon GSC Java Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    Remember back when a game didn't need to have good graphics to be fun? Remember back when we judged games based on quality and not aesthetics? I certainly do, and I want to bring back those feelings to long time fans of the Pokemon franchise.

If you ask a Pokemon fan from the 1990's what his or her favorite Pokemon game is, there's a very good chance the answer will be Pokemon Gold and Silver. Heck, Gold and Silver are my favorites as well. They were much more advanced than Red and Blue, and not quite as complicated as Ruby and Sapphire. Gold and Silver were the games that made the Gameboy Color shine as it did, and the expanded number of Pokemon made game play a great deal more fun.

So what if we could recapture that memory without feeling as though we're trying to live in the past? That's where we take a step forward. Essentially, what I'm doing here is creating a Java game engine that mimics Gold and Silver's game play as best as I can. The beauty of it? This is NOT a rom hack. What does this mean? This means that we are not restricted by rom space and limitations. I'm compiling an astonishing list of things that I plan to include to bring the game play up to today's standards, while at the same time give the player a feeling of fondness.

And remember, this is NOT a rom hack. Here are some images to give you some ideas of what to expect.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A few things I plan on icluding are all four main series regions in their entirety, all 493 current Pokemon, fifth generation Pokemon (let's face it, I'll probably still be working on this long after Black and White are released), user submitted fakemon, a variety of player characters to choose from, unique 16x16 menu sprites for all Pokemon, and other unique tidbits that I'll reveal after I've added them.

Since this will be a tremendous project, there's no way I can do this all by myself. As of now, there are a few things I'd like to get some help with. First and foremost, I need you guys to help me create GSC-styled battle sprites (back and front) for every Pokemon after Celebi. All artists will recieve full credit, of course. As more resources become necessary, I will keep you updated. As of now, I am not taking fakemon requests.

So what do you say? Anyone willing to help me out?

https://project-rbydex.deviantart.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorcripz

Years
    This game looks great, you dont see many java games in these forums.
    and since i wouldnt want to see this one die out, im willing to help you out with the GSC sprite's if you want the help, just tell me what size they have to be and ill knock up am example of my work for you.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    This game looks great, you dont see many java games in these forums.
    and since i wouldnt want to see this one die out, im willing to help you out with the GSC sprite's if you want the help, just tell me what size they have to be and ill knock up am example of my work for you.

Gold and Silver sprites are 56x56 and use four colors: white, color 1, color 2, and black.

Are you using Swing or a 3rd party library like the jsdl?
    I'm just using swing. I'm relatively new to Java, and this is more practice than anything.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    This should be in the drawing board, it looks nice, but this is far too big a project for me to get my hopes up for.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I think you can do it, just remember to have an actor class as an "umbrella" class then just use inheretences for all the other pokemon, I think thats the easiest way to do this. Or you can have a system of loading in a list of files locations and then loading in the XML, but loading will take longer with that

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    Actually, I already have a "Pokemon" class. It's ambiguous enough to be able to accurately represent any Pokemon in the game. The constructor takes two variables (int species, int level), and calculates all of it's stats using two simple formulas. All base stats are stored in a separate class. I figured it would be easier than making 493 individual classes.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Actually, I already have a "Pokemon" class. It's ambiguous enough to be able to accurately represent any Pokemon in the game. The constructor takes two variables (int species, int level), and calculates all of it's stats using two simple formulas. All base stats are stored in a separate class. I figured it would be easier than making 493 individual classes.
    I guess you can say it is a pain in the ass to make 493 classes, but I am doing a RTS so I only need like 30 individual classes. I was thinking of having 1 constructor with 1 arguement, a file name, so it can take in the individual sprite sheets for each pokemon. Actually now I think about it, its pretty redundant and wastes too much memory to do that, LOL... I think I will just have 1 contructor with no arguements. and store the sprites in one giant sprite sheet. But I am still making 30 classes for their stats

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
    Very nice job. I was actually thinking of doing this, of course not with Java though, and you've implemented it a lot better than I could have. I would definitely enjoy making G/S/C games with ease without the confusion of ROM hacking, which I've done for years and years. I wish I could help, though.

Years
    Wow, ive only juts realised how good nintendo are at spriting.
    I never noticed that GSC sprites only have 4 colours
    ANyway, im gona try devamping wynaugt for ya (^_^)

Last edited:

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    The only thing that takes away from it is the fact that you're not arranging the tiles like they were in GSC, that is using a grid separated into 2x2 tile boxes. So patches of grass would always fill their 2x2 box and such. Your take on the mapping will make it messy... but other than that I like this project. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just find the program GoldMap and you'll see. I hope to see more on this.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    I know what you mean, and I realized it a while after I had already started piecing maps together. Honestly, it's not a big problem though. The tiles in these screenshots are randomly generated (except for the house and the signs) every time I compile this program and run it. When I develop it more, you wont even be able to tell.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    I'll try to make a few sprites for you, this seems very interesting. And if you want I could try to sprite a few custom tiles, but I can't make any promises.

EDIT: I have a little line art for Zorua, taken from my original sprite. I have other things to do so if anyone wants to shade it they can.
    Pokemon GSC Java Engine

Last edited:

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONsyn4c74Q

Here's a short video showing a prototype New Bark Town. I'll try to have a more finished version of it up by this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who wants to help! I've found some pretty good artists over at DeviantArt (check out Neslug, he's got some amazing GSC devamps) and I think I'm on the right track to releasing a very early demo within the next couple of months. I'm not going to get your hopes up, however. I can't promise that I'll have a battle system implemented any time soon, but after I work out a few kinks with the overworld, that will be the next thing I do.

I forgot to mention that this is not a game. This is a game engine. What's the difference? The difference is what programmers decide to do with it. I'll release the source code when I can, and when I do, I will start working on a game of my own just to demonstrate what this will be able to do. I'm certain I'm much more excited about this than you are. C:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONsyn4c74Q

Here's a short video showing a prototype New Bark Town. I'll try to have a more finished version of it up by this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who wants to help! I've found some pretty good artists over at DeviantArt (check out Neslug, he's got some amazing GSC devamps) and I think I'm on the right track to releasing a very early demo within the next couple of months. I'm not going to get your hopes up, however. I can't promise that I'll have a battle system implemented any time soon, but after I work out a few kinks with the overworld, that will be the next thing I do.

I forgot to mention that this is not a game. This is a game engine. What's the difference? The difference is what programmers decide to do with it. I'll release the source code when I can, and when I do, I will start working on a game of my own just to demonstrate what this will be able to do. I'm certain I'm much more excited about this than you are. C:
    Well I personally think that this engine will not make a big contribution in this community, 95% of the people here do not know Java or C++ or any other language other than scripting languages. No offence, but just delivering the truth. I think you will get ALOT more help from Gamedev.net or something. But please do continue and update on it on this site, but don't expect it to have a lot of popularity as in people will use it.
    Code:
    if(Thread.Contains("Davidthefat")
    {
    ExpectFlamage();
    }
    else
    {
    SmoothSailing();
    }

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    That's a shame. I personally don't think creating a game should be as simple as downloading a few tools and modifying features that are already presented to you, call me cynical. Like I said, I do plan on developing a game using my engine, so it's not as though this is a complete waste of time. Besides, I can encourage more people to learn Java by doing this!

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    That's a shame. I personally don't think creating a game should be as simple as downloading a few tools and modifying features that are already presented to you, call me cynical. Like I said, I do plan on developing a game using my engine, so it's not as though this is a complete waste of time. Besides, I can encourage more people to learn Java by doing this!
    ;)I like you (no homo) That is my mentality and I get lots of hate for that... But still good luck, personally don't like Java, but hey, its natively multi platform
    :laugh:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

That's a mentality I wish more in this community had, it would be nice to see the members expand a little more in what they utilize in realizing their ambitions for game development. I'd probably be very willing to play around with this engine of yours if - though hopefully when - a viable version is released.

Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Aug 14, 2010
    Oh, my... I was poke-rolled, too... Great stuff.

I haven't seen/played a java based game before, I'd be willing to try yours :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back