• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

coolkidmitch

Ace Trainer
    Years
    I dont think the Anime has changed at all. Yes It's been around forever but their main audience is CHILDREN. If you go back and watch the very first episode, it is remarkably cheesy. The other episodes are just the same. I will say that I have noticed that the episodes are a little more descriptive, but I think it helps kids that are trying to play the game and don't really get it. Brock usually goes "Oh! Bluk Up! That raises the users Attack and Defense!" which is kind of cool. But you have to keep in mind, again, this show is meant for kids probably ages 7-12. Not people like me, who are 21.

The Games, however, are getting better and better in my opinion. I started playing Gen IV after only playing Blue from when I was a kid. Since then I have played all the Gen III games and an emmulator of the Gen II games and so far, Platinum is galaxies beyond any of them. It sucks that they dont have as much merch as they used to, but that's because most kids aren't playing pokemon. They are playing more American games because that's what their parents are getting for them.

My aunt was avid about my little cousins not watching pokemon or having the games. I had to show her that the pokemon don't DIE after being beaten, they "faint" and the show has good morals and its just plan fun. So now my cousins have the FR/LG (which I let them borrow) and some of cards I bought them.

I also have a feeling toy's r us bought the rights to sell Pokemon stuff, or they are the specific store they sell the products, which sucks, but that's America for ya, Monopoly FTW!

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    The anime sucks imho. I recently watched movie 12 and almost gagged. Seriously, the whole thing is watered down, ill thought out, and just plain monotonous.

The games are fairing better, but still lack creativity. Arceus just killed it for me. I religiously played gen 1 when I was alot younger, and thought almost every pokemon held a pretty good niche. Now the games (gen 4 in particular) feel rushed. I almost hope they don't make a gen 5, unless they can think of a new twist, with old charms. I think HG and SS are a good stall though- seeing as how gen 2 rules.

I have no idea what to expect outta the pokomon franchise anymore:S

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    I believe that the franchise IS indeed going down, but for no other reason than the fact that it's been going on for TOO long. The quality of pokemon has significantly (for eg, most people hate the new generation pokemon, believing only the original 151 to be the "real" pokemon. Plus, there are WAY too many legendaries now). Or atleast, the overall popularity is decreasing.

Also in my opinion, the Pokemon gaming scene has evolved beyond what could be expected of it. With 493 pokemon to choose from, hundreds of moves to be taught, tons of ev's to be gained, and scores of eggs to be hatched while searching for the perfect nature or moves (or both), there's a LOT of options put forth to a trainer, plus with the GTS and Wi-Fi, the ame is one of the only "true" multiplayers.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Pokemon has been 'going downhill' seemingly since the boom ended in about 2002-ish.

However, in the way of how much the games sell world-wide STILL, and how the anime is doing well enough to last for 12 years, I don't think it's gone downhill much at all. What was it? HG/SS had the biggest presale of any two Pokemon games ever? Something close to that.. that's not going downhill. xD;

Sure, the entire world is over-killed obsessed with Pokemon anymore, but it's still hugely popular.

While I admit that it would be nice more merchandise around for it again, there's still some, but it sells online so well that putting in the stores would seem pointless in a way. > >

/my two cents.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
    I strongly disagree to this, Pokemon aren't really going downhill. Before, they didn't have some good ideas back in the day, but now their just improving the Pokemon and naming different regions.

Poke'Girl

The up and coming
    Years
    me and my friends all love pokemon but its so depressing.. no one else does

you can get alot of pokemon stuff at fye.
    and at hot topic some too.... and even spencers... if your lucky.

i wish it would come back!

Jesus of Suburbia

I Wrote Holden Caulfield
    Years
    Almost everywhere, all the old Pokemon fans have been turned into Narutards, and I barely see any merchandise anywhere, only the games, possibly because all the events and merchandise is all at Toys r' us and nowhere else, and the Nearest one is over 100 miles away from us and I never went to a nintendo event because of that, and whenever I try to bring up Pokemon in a conversation, they bring up Naruto or Family Guy, or BOTH (god forbid). Pokemon is still huge in Japan, with food products, a variety show, and the Merchandise is everywhere, not just Toys r' us like in the states, where the only merchandise you can find is the games (as in the video games, not board games), I remember when Pokemon was huge in the states, and everyone watched the anime and the merchandise was everywhere, what happened to those days. Was it the 3rd generations release back in 2003, the cosntantly cliche repeating and recycled plot of the anime (as well as the removal of Misty), either way, I am seeing the Pokemon franchise go downhill

Well, at least I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Only to an extent would I say Pokémon is going "downhill." Like mentioned the anime has been falling in popularity and that is basically because it has pretty much become predictable. Unlike some of the newest anime coming up, it isn't as diverse or unexpected as it might have been when it first aired. As for the TCG, it isn't as highly selling as other cards may be and it isn't as highly popular as it might have been back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. However, the games are still selling and Pokémon is ranked the second top best of Nintendo's most selling items. So, only to degree is Pokémon falling downhill, but it still remains to be making money for the franchise and it is still going strong; not as strong as it was earlier, but still strong.

So, with this being said I wouldn't consider the whole franchise to be falling downhill completely, but only portions of it. However, because it isn't as highly recognized in some areas as they may be in others it appears to be very unpopular these days. Like said before though, there are still countries that have Pokémon as a high popular franchise for them, such as Japan in this case.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I wouldn't say it is going downhill, it just isn't as popular as it was when we grew up in our generation. Nothing beats the old episodes and games we used to play and as technology grew and time went on, other shows came a long and interested kids so it became more difficult I am assuming, or at least that is how it feels on the East Coast of North America.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I think its not necessarily that its hugely declining its the combination of a decline and the aging more hard core fans, Those factors I think have combined to make a fan base essentially of two different major groups. As Nintendo have always focused on the younger area of the spectrum and completing with the many newer shows/fad that come out, they have been steadily begun to decline in new fans (or folks that are interested)

Fishstickles

Lalala
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    I think most people think it's childish to like/love Pokemon. For instance, the other day for Art we had to bring in some paper for this collage, and as I love Pokemon I brought in some Pokemon paper.. everyone kept on saying that I was childish and I needed to grow up, just because I like Pokemon. It REALLY annoyed me, but meh.
    And yeah, I agree, the anime is slightly losing it's touch.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Personally, I blame the Rap Music...

But seriously, the series went downhill for me when they introduced the Hoenn anime series. I hate may with a passion, and max. And, a lot of my friends stopped watching when Misty left. There is also a lack of maturity in the newer seasons, and apparently, it is bad for a girl to be a trainer now. So they become coordinatiors... certianly not epic at all.

I also hate May with a passion, and I stopped watching the anime after Misty left too.

Back