• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Kanto League

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Prologue

The sun gleamed brightly through the trees, casting its rays across the thick canopy of leaves. A cool, summer breeze tickled the grass, making them sway and dance to the rythm of the wind. Children lazed about under the shadows of the trees, trying to escape to thick summer heat. All but one.

Erika sat on her front porch, biting her nails. She couldn't stop thinking about tomorrow, and, even though she kept on telling herself that there was nothing to worry about, she couldn't believe her own words.

Tomorrow was the day she would receive her first Pokemon. She had waited for this day for months, even years. And yet, now that it was only a day away, she couldn't help but fear it. So many things could go wrong. For one, there was no telling what Pokemon she would receive. It might be one of those smelly, gruesome ones, or it might simply dislike her. If that was the case, what would she do? How could you convince your Pokemon to like you?

She had already chickened out last year. While other ten year-olds left excitedly to get their Pokemon, she had watched them through the window, having been too scared to go to Professor Oak's lab herself. The memory sent guilt and shame prickling down her back.

Also, who said that going on a journey was safe? They were only ten year-olds, after all. Well, eleven year-old, in her case. But still. Even though their Pokemon could protect them from most dangers, what if it wasn't strong enough? And if it didn't want to? That brought her back to the previous problem.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of her father's thunderous footsteps. Sighing, she heaved herself up, and patted the dust off her clothes. Looking around, she saw the door fling open, and there was her father. He wore a large sweater and shorts, even though it was the middle of summer.

She frowned. "Dad, you'll get a fever if you wear that. It's thirty degrees outside."

Her father, William Johnson, wrinkled his nose. "You people keep on thinking it'll be hot just because it's summer. Besides, a bit of extra heat can't hurt anyone. Come on, now, your mother says dinner's ready."

In one powerful swipe, he snatched his daughter off the ground. He held her horizontally, slightly swinging his arms from side to side like he would with a baby. Erika giggled.

"I'm not a baby, Dad," she said, though she was smiling.

"I know, I know," William chuckled. "I have good proof of that. I suppose you're ready for tomorrow?"

Erika's smile vanished. "I don't want to talk about that."

William sighed. He dropped his daughter on the couch. "Erika, you have to learn to be more confident. Really, that's your only flaw. You keep on misjudging yourself."

"But maybe it isn't safe," Erika protested. "Or maybe my Pokemon won't like me, or maybe I won't like it, not that I don't like any Pokemon, it's just that I'd rather not have something like Grimer or Koffing or anything smelly and--"

William put his hand up as a sign for her to stop. She quieted down. He sat down on the couch, next to his daughter. "Erika, Erika. We've been through this before."

"Yes, but--" Erika started.

"There isn't anything dangerous about this," William cut in. "I know it might seem a bit scary at first, but I'm telling you, there's nothing to worry about. I had no problems when I started my journey. And don't worry about your Pokemon not liking you, my starter liked me right away. And even if yours doesn't," he added, seeing Erika open her mouth to say something. "It'll get used to you eventually. So, I'm telling you, there's nothing to worry about."

Erika stayed silent. She watched wordlessly as her father got up and began to leave. She sighed. Nobody understood her after all.

"Is there something wrong, dear?"

Erika looked up. Her mother stood, hands on her hips, next to her. "No," she lied. But she was a terrible liar, and she knew it.

"Erika," her mother, Emily Johnson, said gently. "It's about tomorrow, isn't it?"

Slowly, Erika nodded. She did not dare meet her mother's eyes.

Emily sighed, then said, "I guess I should tell you then. As you know, my name used to be Emily Jade."

Erika nodded again. This time, she glanced up and looked at her mother's eyes for a brief second. Then, she returned to staring at the floor.

"I was a coordinator in the Hoenn region," Emily continued. "I wasn't the best, but I wasn't bad either. I had managed to win enough ribbons to enter that year's Grand Festival."

Now Erika was listening carefully. Her mother had never described her life as a coordinator so clearly.

"I made it to the top ten, but that was it," Emily told her. "When the festival ended, I was a bit depressed. That was when I met your father." Her gaze shifted to a dreamy expression. "It was love at first sight. At least, it was for him. I didn't accept his proposal until he followed me around for a few months." She chuckled. "Your father was a trainer from Kanto, this region. He was never very successful, of course." She laughed. "After he somehow managed to defeat the first Gym, he gave up his dream to become a Pokemon master."

Erika smiled. She could just imagine her father's face when he realized that. But of course, imagining a ten year-old version of her father was just weird.

"After our marriage was held, I changed my name," Emily continued. "I became Emily Johnson. Shortly after that, we had you." Her gaze met mine. I blushed away. "And even though we were both Johnson's by that time, we named you Erika 'Jade'. Do you know why?"

Erika shook her head. She had always been intrigued by this in the past, but, being the person she was, she had always been too afraid to ask.

Her mother brought her head closer to hers and whispered in her ear. "It's because I've always had more success than your father did. That's why. By entrusting you with the name Jade, I tried to ensure that you would follow in my footsteps."

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Chapter One: A Fresh Start

Erika stared at her breakfast without much appetite. Nibbling a bit of her scrambled eggs, she poured herself a glass of milk. She drained it in one gulp.

It's because I've always had more success than your father did. That's why. By entrusting you with the name Jade, I wanted to ensure that you would follow in my footsteps.

The words pounded in her head. They raged on, repeating themselves over and over again. Erika groaned. Why couldn't she stop thinking about that?

But, deep down, she knew why. Because those words reassured her. Well, they gave her a headache, but at least they proved one thing: her mother had faith in her. Erika knew that a simple thing like a name would not actually affect her skills, but she was glad anyway. At least, she thought she was. She couldn't really tell with her headache.

"Erika?"

Her mother's head poked out from behind the kitchen door. "Oh, are you done already? Well, if that's the case, hurry up and get ready. You should be leaving soon."

Erika nodded glumly. Trudging towards the front hall, she suddenly felt like chickening out, like she did last year. No, she told herself firmly. She had to do this. This year. This morning. She sighed. That thought didn't help.

She climbed slowly up the stairs. With each step, she felt guilt, shame, stress and especially fear race down her back. With each step, it was harder and harder for her to face reality. All of her fears came rushing into her head at once. She shook them out. She had to hang on. Or she would become the scaredy-cat of Pallet Town.

But you're already a scaredy-cat, a small voice said in her mind. Erika silenced it. There. She was in her room now. She glanced around until her gaze landed on a small, green knapsack she had prepared last night. She had stuffed water, food, map, and clothes in it.

She flung it over her shoulder. As she closed the door behind her, she felt a sudden, new emotion. It was a pang of sadness as she realized that this would be the last time she would see her room in a long time. Pushing that feeling down, she told herself she could always visit her home town. The thought reassured her.

As she went down the stairs, a new fear gripped her. Losing. She was eleven now; and yet, it was still possible for her to lose to people a year younger than her, as they would be on the same skill level. She gulped.

She walked over to the front door. Turning, she peered into the mirror that was placed there and looked carefully at what she saw.

It was a small, sweet-looking girl. Her silky black hair was neatly cut right above her shoulders, held in place by a white headband. Her eyes were a clear, jade green, and she had a had a rather small, straight nose. She was wearing a light, white and green blouse, with a gray, plaid skirt and white sandals. Erika could read fear in the girl's eyes. She sighed. Her eyes.

She turned the handle of the door and pushed it gently open. The fresh, grassy scent of summer met her nose, tickling her nostrils. She stepped outside. The morning sun shone blindingly in the sky. Erika squinted to see the steps as she hopped down the short flight of stone stairs in front of the porch.

And then a completely new sensation overtook her. Heart pounding, she suddenly ran down the lawn, passing several houses, having only one goal: getting to Professor Oak's lab first.

She was excited. She couldn't believe it, but this feeling that made her muscles twitch, that filled her legs with energy, and that made her heart pound, was definitely excitement. After fear and shame, it felt wonderfully good. She felt like she was born anew, forgetting all of her previous worries and concentrating on only one task. She wanted to get there first. She had never been competitive, but she was now.

She slowed. In front of her was a long, curvy set of rock stairs that lead uphill, and, on top of that hill, rested the large, red-roofed, white building she knew to be Professor Oak's laboratory.

Pulsing with excitement, she practically flew up the stairs, and was soon at the standing on the front door mat. Panting, she raised a trembling hand and knocked twice on the large, wooden door. Almost immediately, it flew open, revealing the face of a young man. He looked at her, then beckoned her to come in. Erika obeyed, now shaking with nervosity. Emotion really did change quickly on your first day.

She followed the man down a series of corridors. Finally, they arrived at two, important-looking doors. The man, who was no doubtly Professor Oak's assistant, held out one door for her. Blushing, Erika walked in.

The room she was in was larger than any she had ever seen before. Every inch of its plain white walls was covered in sheets of papers and notes showing complicated graphics and calculations. Machines lay here and there, and tall bookshelves occupied every corner. Assistants in white bustled about, carrying books or thick manuscripts. Overall, an impressive place.

Erika bit her lip. She was feeling absolutely nervous now. The assistant that had brought her here gestured at the large, red machine in the center of the room. A man in a white labcoat, like everyone else in the room, was leaning over it and murmuring something about physics and proportion.

Erika understood. The man was probably Professor Oak. Gulping, she walked nervously towards him, tapping him lightly on the shoulder after he failed to respond to two of her greetings. He jumped, then looked around. Seeing her, he blinked, then smiled.

"Ah! Erika!" he exclaimed. "I haven't seen you for a long time. How long has it been?"

Erika blushed. "About a year." As a child, she had oftenly visited him, either to deliver a message or to bring him a basket of fresh strawberries her parents had grown.

"Ah yes..." He frowned. "Why didn't you come last year? I thought I had told you the day to come."

"W-Well, I...I was kind of...afraid...to I...," Erika stuttered, staring at the floor. "I-I thought maybe I should wait a bit..."

Professor Oak placed his hand on her shoulder. "I understand. But let's forget about that. Now that you're here, let's discuss other matters, shall we? For instance--" He dug into one of his pockets. "--this." He held a small, red and white ball in his palm. He thrust it into Erika's hands. "I believe it's rightfully yours. I was saving it for you." He winked.

Erika blushed again. "T-Thanks." She took the Pokeball and clutched it tightly in her left hand. It helped the stress.

"Don't forget to take these." Professor Oak dropped five other balls into her palm. Then, he withdrew a red device from one of his other pockets and gave it to Erika. "It's Pokedex. You probably already know how it works."

Erika nodded. She had to take the Pokedex with two fingers, as the rest of her hands were already full.

"Now..." the Professor cleared his throat. "I'm sure that you already know this, but that Pokemon that I gave you is very special. Like any other Pokemon, actually. So you have to treat it properly. It isn't just a pet or a tool. It's your partner and, as I hope, will eventually become your friend. So, until then, I'll need you to promise that you'll take good care of not just that Pokemon, but any other that you might catch."

Erika smiled. "I will," she promised.

Professor Oak nodded approvingly. "Good. Run along then. I'll be looking forward to seeing you again, Erika."

Erika bowed, then ran out of the room excitedly. Soon, she was back outside. She drew in a deep breath. Okay. Time to see what Pokemon she got.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2011
    I'm enjoying this story so far. Whilst the title isn't exactly the most exciting, the descriptions and the emotion put into the opening and first chapter has made it seem quite promising. I like the suspense put into it as well, I wonder what Erika got ^_^

I did notice a mistake, however.

Neiko Star said:
    Almost immediately, it flew open, revealing the face of a young man. He looked at her, then beckoned her to come in. Erika obeyed, now shaking with nervosity.

Erm, I don't think "nervosity" is a word. XD is the word you're looking for "nervousness"?

Except for that little mistake though, I look forward to reading how the story develops.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Chapter Two: Timid

Erika put down her objects gently on the ground. Then, she tossed the Pokeball lightly into the air. It snapped open with a faint click and, startling Erika, in a flash, a mass of red light escaped from the ball. It slowly took form on the stone, in front of Erika, who watched with wide eyes. Finally, the glow faded, revealing a very strange-looking creature.

It looked like a giant, purple furball. It had large, red eyes like that of a fly's. Two long antennas poked out of its head. Its small mouth were armed with two sharp fangs.

Erika jumped as her Pokedex turned on. It rang:

VENONAT#48 : Insect Pokemon
    Poison / Bug
    Its coat of thin, stiff hair is said to have evolved for protection. It possesses large eyes that never fail to spot even minuscule prey. It is attracted by light at night.

Erika froze. A Poison-type! She stared at the furball, who was now trembling for some reason. It let out a squeak, then hopped away. Erika blinked in surprise as the Venonat quickly jumped down the stairs, then disappeared out of view under the thick leaves of a cluster of trees.

Of course! The thought hit Erika. Being a nocturnal Pokemon, it must prefer the dark. And it's way too bright out here.

She bent down, hastily dropping her things into her knapsack. Then, she ran down the flight of stone stairs, and halted in front of the trees. She could make out a quivering shape in the shadows. Sighing, she took a few steps and glanced up. There was Venonat, shivering, clinging onto a branch.

"Come down here, Venonat," Erika said. "There's nothing to be afraid of. It's nice and dark here."

Venonat squeaked and jumped onto a higher branch. It was obviously not going to come down on its own.

Erika felt uneasy. "C-Come on."

Venonat jumped onto an even higher branch. It shook, staring at its new trainer.

Erika drew in a long breath. She reached into her knapsack and pulled out Venonat's Pokeball. If it wouldn't come down, she would have no choice but to return it to its Pokeball by force.

"Come one," she said quietly. "Please?"

Venonat didn't move. It lowered its head and cowered.

Erika sighed. She raised the Pokeball and clicked on the button in the center.

"Return," she said dully.

A beam of red light shot out of the Pokeball. Screeching, Venonat tried to avoid it, but it was too late. The beam hit it, and soon, the insect Pokemon turned into light, and was sucked into the ball.

Erika stared at the Pokeball in disappointment. Then, slowly, she felt another feeling well up inside of her: resentment. Why? What had she done wrong? Why was it her Pokemon wouldn't listen to her?

She kicked up a cloud of dust. She regretted it immediately; grains of sands poked her eyes made her cough. Then, shaking, she ran, half-crying, half-coughing, tears sliding down her face.

She didn't understand. She had finally managed to receive her Pokemon, and this was what she got? She didn't understand it. And she wasn't sure she wanted to, either. All the previous feelings of fear and guilt bubbled up. A new prickle of doubt joined them, making her wonder if she really was fit to be a trainer after all.

Does it really matter? a tiny voice said in her head.

She slowed a bit. What was she thinking?

Anybody can be what they want to be, right? the timid voice continued.

She broke into a trot. She stared at the ground.

Besides, think of what Mom would say! the voice insisted. Do you really want to go back, crying like a baby? What do you expect she'll think? You aren't a kid anymore!

Erika halted now. That was true. But then why was she acting like one? She hastily dried her tears and glanced at her Pokeball. She held it firmly. There wasn't anything wrong with her Pokemon. If there was, Professor Oak wouldn't have given it to her. But if there was something she had done wrong, her mother would know.

That's it, she decided. I'll go ask Mom. She'll tell me what to do.

And so she broke into a run again. She felt a flicker of hope as her house came into view. Though it saddened her to think that she would once again have to say good-bye to it, she rejoiced at the thought of seeing it again, even if only for a brief moment.

Her mother was waiting for her on the front porch. Spotting her, Emily grinned, and waved at her. Erika smiled back, racing to join her mother at the top step.

"I had a feeling you were going to come back." Emily patted her daughter's head.

Erika blushed. "I...have a small problem."

"What is it?" Emily asked curiously. She had been expecting this.

Erika looked down. "Well...you see...my Pokemon doesn't listen to me," she admitted. "When I got it, it ran away and wouldn't come back when I called it."

Emily looked at her thoughtfully. "What Pokemon did you receive?"

"A Venonat," Erika answered. "And it isn't because it doesn't like the light, when it was in the shadows it wouldn't listen to me either."

Emily frowned. "Would you mind showing me?"

Erika hesitated. What if it ran away again? But, faced with her mother's pleading expression, she had no choice. She placed the Pokeball on the ground and pressed the button in the center.

Like before, Venonat appeared in a flash of light. Seeing the two gazing at it, it squealed, then tried to run away. However, Emily acted fast, and grabbed onto the Pokemon's antennas. At once, it quieted down, trembling.

"Erika, try using the Pokedex," Emily instructed. "Push the big green button in the middle. That should let us see Venonat's personal information."

Erika nodded, and took out her Pokedex from her knapsack. She would have to strap it on her belt or something. She fumbled with the buttons, clicking on the green one, like her mother had told her to. At once, the Pokedex' screen lit up. There was a small picture of a Venonat, as well as bars of different colours. Underneath all of it, Erika could see some text. She read it out loud:

VENONAT : Female
    Ability : Tinted Lens
    Timid Nature
    Moves: Tackle - Disable - Foresight - Supersonic

Emily sighed. "So that's it. Your Venonat is timid."

Erika frowned. "What does that mean?" She understood the word, but being timid didn't mean running away and jumping on trees.

"It means that it's shy," Emily explained. "And that makes it fearful. Remember when you were little? You were shy, and you were always afraid of everything, remember?"

Erika nodded. She thought she was starting to understand what her mother was telling her. "So you're saying that my Venonat is the same?"

Emily beamed at her daughter. "That's right! You catch on fast." Erika blushed again. "So anyway, your Venonat is most likely afraid of us, because it doesn't know us. Just like how you were afraid of going to unknown places."

Erika blinked. "But it took me years to get over that, and I'm still a bit scared now. How am I going to cure my Pokemon of it?"

Emily shook her head. "You can't cure it. Because that's how Venonat is. You can't change a Pokemon's nature. They aren't humans."

"So what do I do?" Erika asked, frustrated.

"You have to teach it to trust you," Emily said simply. "Not necessarily like you, but just trust you enough to know that you won't hurt it. But, to do that--" She pointed one finger. "--you have to take charge."

Erika gulped and looked down at her hands. Take charge, huh?

Oh boy.

Last edited:
    Back