• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Note on Kyogre: I'm pretty sure that the second part is 'ogre' generally relating to Kyogre's size and power.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I thought it was "orca", because it looks like one. Not the English name though, I don't know about that one. But the Japanese one. They probably have different meanings.

Last edited:

Tallulah

Paistinpannu!
    Years
  • This is probably just a coincidence but Minun is the Finnish word for mine. Hehe actually it's definitely a coincidence because Minun is taken from minus.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2008
    ^_^ Thank you so much!! I have always wanted to make a list like this!

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • On Arceus: I just read something that mentioned a Greek poet named Alcaeus... which would be pronounced very similarly to Arceus. Hmm, but is it a coincidence? Another Greek poet, Sappho, comes from the very same island Alcaeus was from, and nowadays she's regarded as a goddess of poetry. Whether these facts made their way into Arceus' name, we may never know...

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Here are some good pokemon meaning

A
    * Absol - not entirely sure - could be ab + solis, meaning away from sun or absence of sun (ab as a prefix means "off" or "away from"; solis is Latin

G
    * Giratina - from guillotine, girasol
    Absol could also mean absence + solitude.
    Giratina's name is also from the word platina (katakana).

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2009
    I have a strange meaning for Arceus.
    Ar=Ra=Egyptian Uppergod.
    Ceus=Zeus=Greek Uppergod (or however you spell it :D)

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
  • I know a lot but I don't want to waste my time writing it. and also Charizard= CHARCOAL + lizard.

Ekans: made from SNAKE, read it opposite, EKANS
    Arbok: made from Cobra, read it opposite, ARBOC, but they changed C to K.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I know a lot but I don't want to waste my time writing it. and also Charizard= CHARCOAL + lizard.

But it can also be "char". That's what I thought.

The Japanese name for Ekans, Aabo, is boah spelled backwards in katakana.
    Arboc is from Cobra as you said.

Don't know if I've said this already, but I finally have an idea what Rekkuuza could mean. After all the word "rekkuu" is a part of the title of the movie Rekkuuza is in. Does it mean sky-splitting? (something with sky and split or crack, that I know)

STK

Char-bok-a!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 6, 2011
    I have a better one for Ralts. Ralts rhymes with waltz, which is a dance. And Ralts looks like a dancer.

jakerman999

looking for spriters
    Years
  • I have something that may relate to vulpix.

there is a constellation known as vulpcula which translates into "little fox".the prefix of vulpcula may be the same as the prefix of vulpix.some more research may be required though.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I have something that may relate to vulpix.

there is a constellation known as vulpcula which translates into "little fox".the prefix of vulpcula may be the same as the prefix of vulpix.some more research may be required though.

The vulp- in vulpcula is the same as the vulp- in vulpix, for vulpes means fox in Latin.

Do we need D/P names or are those somewhere in here?

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • Cubone may be from 'cub', a term for baby bears, foxes, and other wild animals.

Crobat is from 'acro' meaning 'high'. It's a bat and it flies in high places. It also might be a pun on 'acrobat'.

Rayquaza's name might be from 'ray', like a sun ray, and a 'quasar' is "an extremely powerful and distant active galactic nucleus".

And lol, why are the Regis connected with regicide? 'Regi' by itself means 'king', a much more plausible explanation.

Gardevoir's name could also come from 'voir', 'to see'.

Latios and Latias might be from 'lateo', Latin for 'hidden'.

Entei has something to do with volcanoes and kings.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back