• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Mistakes [ English Names ]

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    Do you think that Some pokemon are named wrong? Have you ever wondered where they got the name from? Please Explain your answers.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I actually know almost all of the English name origins except for a few

Gengar is one that I've pondered for hours on end...

Marisa

I think Gengar's Japanese name was Gengaa, which was translated to Gengar.. but I'm not sure. x_X I could be wrong.

Igglybuddy

OMG PENGUINS
    Years
    A lot of the incomprehensible names are direct romanizations of Japanese names...Gengar and Lapras, for example. In my opinions, those tend to be the better names... anyway, one that kind of annoys me is "Manectric". I mean...th' heck? What was wrong with Raibolt? Whatever. Same with Kyogre. It's not an ogre, it's a WHALE. Hence the "orga" (orca) in japanese. Meh.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Keleri said:
    A lot of the incomprehensible names are direct romanizations of Japanese names...Gengar and Lapras, for example. In my opinions, those tend to be the better names... anyway, one that kind of annoys me is "Manectric". I mean...th' heck? What was wrong with Raibolt? Whatever. Same with Kyogre. It's not an ogre, it's a WHALE. Hence the "orga" (orca) in japanese. Meh.
    Exactly! And "Kai" means ocean!
    Why would they ever change it?

Besides, Satoshi Tajiri himself had made English names for Pokemon, then he use Japanese characters to fix the sounds.
    BUT WHY DO USA HAVE TO INVENT THEIR OWN NAMES??????????

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Gengar003 said:
    Cuz the big companies think they're "better" than the Japanese ones.
    (IMHO)
    But nearly everyone thinks that it is "worse" than Japanese name.

And, why do they give me such a horrible name?
    I thought thatルージュラ sometimes is a lucky Pokemon.
    Remeber that Misty's "Princess Dolls"<----ANOTHER BAD NAME!
    It is "Luck Dolls" in Japanese, and one of them is ルージュラ!

Gengar003

Resident Poltergiest
    Years
    Unfortunately, it's the big companies that import Japanese products (Pok?mon, Yugioh, etc) that get to choose the english names.

And they generally butcher it. They should have a team of kids working on it...

And if everyone thinks the names aren't too good, but like the idea. (Kyogre, above...)

They still buy the games/products, and the guys at the top who choose the new names, or whether or not to give new names never notice....

All they see is empty shelves needing to be refilled.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    I dislike Blaziken... it has an unoriginal ring to it. I've seen Roosterno suggested, but that's not the best name since Burysamo can be female. I liked Griferno myself. Ah well. Flamiken XD

Poochyena and Mightyena have been terribly butchered. For one, Pochiena is not a hyena reference (hyenas aren't even canine!), it was a reference to pooch and chien. Mightyena just looks and sounds stupid. Before the english name was known, people called it Greyna, semi-romanized from Guraena. Not the best name but still sounds better than Mightyena ;P. The english names should have had something to do with lupine this or wolf that. They're not freakin' hyenas -_-;

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Iveechan said:
    I dislike Blaziken... it has an unoriginal ring to it. I've seen Roosterno suggested, but that's not the best name since Burysamo can be female. I liked Griferno myself. Ah well. Flamiken XD

Poochyena and Mightyena have been terribly butchered. For one, Pochiena is not a hyena reference (hyenas aren't even canine!), it was a reference to pooch and chien. Mightyena just looks and sounds stupid. Before the english name was known, people called it Greyna, semi-romanized from Guraena. Not the best name but still sounds better than Mightyena ;P. The english names should have had something to do with lupine this or wolf that. They're not freakin' hyenas -_-;
    Well, Poochyena is just similar to the Japanese name, but Mightyena?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    jynx said:
    Well, Poochyena is just similar to the Japanese name, but Mightyena?

supposedly, a "mighty" "hyena"... but let what Iveechan pointed out already... it's not a hyena, and sadly it's not mighty too.

Hakudoushi-kun

Guardian of the Northern Souls
    Years
    jynx said:
    Exactly! And "Kai" means ocean!
    Why would they ever change it?

Besides, Satoshi Tajiri himself had made English names for Pokemon, then he use Japanese characters to fix the sounds.
    BUT WHY DO USA HAVE TO INVENT THEIR OWN NAMES??????????

well, mainly because it's easier to remember english/latin words in names since that's what's spoken in america

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    images said:
    well, mainly because it's easier to remember english/latin words in names since that's what's spoken in america

last time i checked everyone remembers Lugia. Everyone remembers Togepi. What? But... aren't they japanese? *cough cough*

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Gengar003 said:
    I'm not sure about the japanese versions, but Articuno, along with the other two birds, are a large play on words, using spanish. In spanish,
    1 = uno
    2 = dos
    3 = tres.

Articuno
    Zapdos
    Moltres

See?
    Wow! I know some Spainish now!
    But why 1,2,3?

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    That's the order they appear in the Pokedex... plus the names sound pretty cool. I remember Nintendo Power joked and said there was a fourth bird named Squawtro (squawk and cuatro) or something like that.

Sableye. Sable is a collie color. Unless there's another meaning for sable, this name makes little sense.

Years
    Gengar003 said:
    I'm not sure about the japanese versions, but Articuno, along with the other two birds, are a large play on words, using spanish. In spanish,
    1 = uno
    2 = dos
    3 = tres.

Articuno
    Zapdos
    Moltres

See?

OH! I never noticed that! :classic:

Back