• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nameness :3

Obsession

Narcotic Empress
Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    A million apologies if this thread already exists. My eyes grow weary... ._.
    I'm not quite sure about you, but naming pokemon is very important to me. I've noticed alot of players I've battled haven't named their pokemon.

I name alot of my Pokemons after mythology and the like Or other things. Artemesia, Hikoze and Legna are some of my names on my Pokes. I guess you could say naming my Pokemon is like a trademark thing.

Do you name your pokemon?

Why do\don't you name them?

If you got some favourite names, share them! :3

red fraction

solitude is your only friend
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2009
    I always name my pokes :3 If i don't they feel generic and boring.
    I pick an anime and name my team after the characters in it.
    so far I have a Gundam team, a Code Geass team and a Lucky Star team.

bit.trip void

Time cannot e r a s e
    Years
  • I name them after members of PC! X3. No, srsly, I have an Azelf called D_A, a Feraligator called Anti, A cherrim name Lightning, etc.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    I always name my pokemon, I usually have to think hard about it, but in the end i come up with a pretty good name

they don't have any specific theme though o3o

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • I normally name my Pokemon, either I give them original names or I name them after Manga characters such as Miroku from Inuyasha or Tsume from Wolf's Rain. I also give my names in a capital and then in lower case instead of the general all caps approach that normally seems to be used. I only name Pokemon that I use however, ones that go in the PC I just leave with their species name.

Years
  • Almost all of them are named. I name them because it makes them my own. The best names i have for one of my pokemon are
    :drumrolls:
    Sora the sandslash and riku the saybleye

Years
  • Nen always nicknames her Pokémon. Normally I just shorten their original names; Delcatty would be Delca, Riolu would be Rio, Gengar would be Genga, etc. It's not very original, but it works. xD

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • I usually give my pokemon random names. I dont really have a specific reason for naming them but other times I just name them after their japanese name.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I really just stated getting into nicknaming em. I name them after what describes them. These are my current nicknamed ones.

Chimchar: Charr (sounds cool like Chimchar d:)
    Bidoof: HM (really? who woulda guesses?)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    i have a Gardevoir i called Aether.
    kinda hard comming up with names though.

Im gonna get a Gallade and call it Emblema

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I always nickname my pokemon it's just funnier for me. I nicknamed my Latias Taffy after a dog we had and I nicknamed my Latios Spock.

cknarf

4211 2353 6370
    Years
  • I name most of 'em. My favorite is "Drebin", for my Feraligatr. Put that name and mine together, you get Frank Drebin. (From the Naked Gun series)

I named Pikachu "Noodle." It started out as Chow Mein, but I thought Noodle sounded better.

Pidgey "Luisa." Why? Because Fernando didn't work.

Some Pokemon have okay names already, IMO. Krabby, looks like.... well, Krabby!

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I always nickname the Pokemon I use for battle! n.n I used to use a lot of Japanese names that just sounded good with the Pokemon (like Kurogane for an Umbreon) but recently I've been leaning more towards things that just make me think of the Pokemon or the type they are. For example I recently had a Typhlosion I named Jupiter... No particular reason behind it other than that it seemed to fit, and made me think of fire-types. 8D; I had a Probopass named Dorcus, which made me giggle xD; And soon I will have a Gallade named Lancelot! :D

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • No, I don't name my Pokémon. I probably would if I went online, but since I only play offline, it's enough for me that they have their species name.

Years
  • I usually nickname my Pokemon that I use for contests. It feels weird having the only Pokemon without a nickname and its species' name is in all caps. I've nicknamed a Magcargo, Maggie. Maggie/Magcargo won the Master Rank of the Tough Contest in Platinum. I'm so proud of it. My Venonat, Vennie, won the Master Rank of the Smart Contest. My Milotic (who doesn't have a nickname because I got it from my Diamond version and did a new game) won the Master Rank of the Beauty contest in Platinum. I only give my Pokemon nicknames when I plan to use them in contests.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I used to back in the days of RBY, but not anymore.

I do have a quirk about challenge runs...I usually nickname the pokemon I use after their japanese name, and pokemon with the same name in both languages, I shorten, like Crobat becoming Crob. :P

Back