• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Old Or New?

Pokemon Old Vs New

• Total voters

Autumnfox

Go with the wind~
Years
  • To tell you the truth as much as I enjoyed Ash those many years back since Kanto, I actually have grown to like the new Ash better. I think he is finally is starting to live up to the meaning of his name[Satoshi = Wise]. Plus, his Pokémon this season are not entirely bad and Paul really does seem to bring out the best in him whether some see it or not. Not to mention, Ash's new style in appearance has largely improved. His battling style has also grown as the show has continued. He is learning new styles of battling, for example the attack and spin tactic, or the spin and dodge assault. Ash has also learned to choose the right Pokémon depending on type when versing a new Gym Leader. I'd definitely say he's grown up a bit, and even though back with the old Ash he had a lot of funny moments, I still like to say I enjoy the newer Ash better. In the Hoenn Saga of the anime is when I really began to enjoy him more too, and I knew it was just the beginning of him starting to learn more about strategy.

I agree with you. Although I did enjoy Old Ash's rash and hasty attitude back then, I do like how much he's grown.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • When it comes down to personality, I gotta say I like the new Ash better because he's more mature. The old Ash got old.

When it comes to voices, I kind of like his PUSA one better because it sounds funky. I think I like Matsumoto's Ash the best because it's so smooth.

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I hadn't watch pokemon in a while, and when i heard his new voice on tv the other day I couldn't help but let out a laugh. its terrible.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Shouldn't there be a both option? :o

I choose both. xD

But you cannot like both :O That's not allowed! XD I also pick both, it's great to see how Ash has changed and matured over time. It was funny when he first started out and didn't know anything but thought he was really great anyway, but he couldn't stay like that forever. I really like seeing him smarter as well, like being able to use strategies to defeat his opponents (well, some of them :P) like he did with Roark by choosing the Pokemon he'd use by the type of their attacks and how he trained his Pokemon to change the way they used attacks in Fantina's battle.

Voice-wise, I just don't care anymore. It's been 3 years since they've changed. I'm more used to his new voice now, but I can easily watch old episodes without caring.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Old pokemon of course! It is what I grew up with, it was all I knew when I was a kid. At the time it was completely original because it was the first series and nothing like it had been done before. Now as we go on through the series they just follow the same formula every single episode. The new episodes are unoriginal and bland and plus, I much prefered the original voice actor of Ash and his party of pokemon.

Years
  • The old was so amazing I don't know how I couldn't vote for it. TBF I've watched every episode up to the beginning of the Hoenn region and since then I've hardly seen any, giving me minimal amounts of new episodes to compare to. However I just can't see how the storyline would be as amazing as the old ones.

Cornelius

Video Game Addict
    Years
  • I prefer the older Pokemon seasons. The Pokemon were cooler, the show was somewhat more mature, and it was just a better experience.
    They were good times...

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The old Ash had a lot more spunk and gave the anime more of a comedy appearance. However, in my opinion I prefer the newer Ash over the old Ash. The voice change was a bit edgy at first, but it eventually synced in after awhile. Though, the most thing that catches my attention that makes me enjoy the new Ash best is his change in character.

He is still funny at times, but he is also not as naive as he might have been. He battles a lot more intelligent when it comes to gym battles and his new use of style when battling is definitely a plus for me. It shows that after so many years Ash has really stated to mature in wisdom and I believe a bit in personality too. However, the old Ash is always in memory for me as it brings back some of the good old days.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • To tell you the truth as much as I enjoyed Ash those many years back since Kanto, I actually have grown to like the new Ash better. I think he is finally is starting to live up to the meaning of his name[Satoshi = Wise]. Plus, his Pokémon this season are not entirely bad and Paul really does seem to bring out the best in him whether some see it or not. Not to mention, Ash's new style in appearance has largely improved. His battling style has also grown as the show has continued. He is learning new styles of battling, for example the attack and spin tactic, or the spin and dodge assault. Ash has also learned to choose the right Pokémon depending on type when versing a new Gym Leader. I'd definitely say he's grown up a bit, and even though back with the old Ash he had a lot of funny moments, I still like to say I enjoy the newer Ash better. In the Hoenn Saga of the anime is when I really began to enjoy him more too, and I knew it was just the beginning of him starting to learn more about strategy.

I really agree this. Although I haven't seen many of the older ones, none of the Hoenn travels, I still think they were both as good as each other.

Kitty!

mandi
    Years
  • I love old Satoshi so much better. I had the biggest crush on him back in the day ...and yeah, that was when he looked like such a dork too. :P but I was only 7, 8ish. hehe.

But yeah. He was so stupid and didn't know anything. And everything he did made me laugh, because he was so clueless and thought he knew everything, but just made a fool of himself.

He still does this, but once in a blue moon, and it's not as major. He's grown and matured, and has helped Haruka and Hikari the way he has learned throughout the seasons.

But I do enjoy the new episodes quite a bit, for other things. :]

ZestyCactus

From Bulbapedia
    Years
  • Satoshi/Ash has actually grown a lot as a character... I think I actually like the new Satoshi better (minus his crappy dub voice!) and I definitely like the character a lot more as a whole than I did when I was really young and first getting into the series.

Years
  • Though the voice of Ash is getting worse with the years, I like Ash in Sinnoh just like in Kanto.
    And yet, the 'climax' in my opinion was in Hoenn. His voice wasn't all that bad either :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    It's a tough decision on the old and new Ash.

The old Ash was full of spunk and kind of air headed but at least sometimes he knew what he was doing.

But the new Ash is more mature and adamant in a way but he can have his air head moments.

So, I can't decide but the New Ash is better.

His voice in Hoenn and Sinnoh was sort of annoying but oh well. Puberty maybe?

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    I hadn't watch pokemon in a while, and when i heard his new voice on tv the other day I couldn't help but let out a laugh. its terrible.

Summed up my thoughts exactly. I dont know what it is, but I can't stand Ash's new voice. It's just so different. I also find the new pokemon episodes more "kid friendly". I know this show is based for kids, but it seems that every episode is about being nice, doing the right thing, respect, fighting with honor, etc etc. It's just corny.

Back