• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bao

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2011
    this is really amazing! can't wait until it is finished!!!!

Speedy G32

Co-Founder of Net Labs Inc.
    Years
  • I've got a quick update for you all on the development of the game.
    As most of you may have seen in the video I posted earlier, alot of the ground work for th systems are in place. So I decided to start laying out the basic mapping. When I say mapping, I'm putting all the town/routes in and linking them together. The game will be like my previous games, no load times, or fades between outside maps. The outside maps will be like the normal pokemon games - as if it is all one big map.
    I am also adding in place names to the maps, for example:
    Pokemon Protectors

I've also made some slight changes to the message system. The message box backgound will be 30% transparent- and the boarder is not transparent
    EG:
    Pokemon Protectors

It is a small touch, but adds to the feel of the game, since most message boxs or menus in Pokemon Protectors are around 30-50% transparent.

Excuse me but how did you make all that stuff transparent can you help me with this Thanx sorry I put it in here but your game looks great

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • YellowPen said:
    hey i know this isn't in your latest update but....

will you be able to view your moveset in the switching?
    because i believe most people will want to know their pokemon's moveset when switching them in

Request listened to:
    Pokemon Protectors

I've now added a 3rd page to the Pokémon switching summary. By clicking the area indicated, you can switch between them- as you can see, the 3rd now shows attacks (the first 2 were revealed in an earlier update).
    Remember, I listen to all requests, so don't feel like a fool posting a suggestion for me, I'm no where near perfect and neither is this game, but with your comments, I can try get the game near there.

Speedy G32 said:
    Excuse me but how did you make all that stuff transparent can you help me with this
    Already shown in RM2k3, but I think it is different for RMXP. I'm not 100% sure (you would need to ask one of the developers who uses it) but I think it's the "opacity" level which is in the show pic event box.
    And- WOW, they are old pics lol....

The custom tiles are still being added, but none of the new maps- have been mapped in rm2k3 yet. If you didn't read in an earlier post, I'm re mapping the Caladan State (my region in a bigger region for this game).
    The overworld gameplay (everything except battling mainly lol) still has yet to be tailored to how I really want it because I am coding the battle system from scratch. I'll will be re thinking the storyline Class/Job system so it is more refined and rolls with gameplay rather then ideas I tacked on when I began the project- if that makes sense. It will hopefully feel more like a game then a feature demo...
    As soon as the attacks are finished, I'll be fully done with the battle system...

Speaking of battle system.... You may have noticed something with the screenshot above.

I have removed the Booster feature.
    Yup. I have removed the booster feature for the Trainer class' battle system.
    The Boosters were the things in that bar that was on the left hand side of the battle main window. Boosters gave a stat a 15-30% increase.

As I develop the game, I am always play testing- making sure I can't break any of the systems. I had finished the Booster work behind the scene about a week a ago (or so) and was getting ready to show it off here. But the more I play tested Protectors the more I hated the feature.
    With the Stat Altering feature (allowing you to add Skill points to increase your stat points- since there is no levelling up in the normal sense) overpowering the user was an issue. When I started the game that was my goal- well kinda. I am always saying how I want people to just click on the file and start playing and feel strong. The idea of adding only skill points to the attack stat was something I had in concept early on.. I mean the idea that you could have a 3 Star Ranked Pokémon with 120 Attack Stat, and only 30 speed is pretty crazy for a Pokémon game already- then the idea that Boosters could boost any stat by a random number between 15-30% just became to annoying to me lol.
    The player was just too overpowered and I found it hard to tailor the gameplay experience for a more "hardcore" player.
    There was also the issue of another feature I have (which is a secret - mainly because I don't talk about features that aint coded in Rm2k3 itself rather then something that is in notepad).
    And heck, while I'm at it- the fact that you can gamble attacks to do double the damage (or effect if it's an attack like growl).

My solution was to remove the Boosters completely.
    There is already some new concepts for the player to grasp with Skill Points, Star Ranking and everything else mentioned above- too much and it will be hard to understand.
    The attack system also has Gambles (which I reckon I'll be talking about in the next- or next next update), so attacks were already really powerful, so hopefully Boosters won't be missed.

Any comments on this or the screen?
    Any questions?
    Post away guys.

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    well, glad to know that you're thinking about stuff like this, and that you're actually willing to change features when needed.

can't wait for the next update, keep up the good work.

(and no, i really have no big questions this time :P)

---

well, because it was so dearly requested...
    it probably would be easier to put the three pages in hotkeys - 1 for page 1, 2 for page 2, and 3 for page 3

thats it, i really can't think of something substantial here...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I find it both good, and bad that you are still working on this game. Good because it might actually be finished (witch is VERY rare [for you or anyone else on PC]) and bad beacuse it's not done after what? a year?

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
    Years
  • This game looks as unique and outstanding as usual. I don't know how to use RM2K3, and I have to bow down to the best RM2K3 game in this community. Please keep it up!

Last edited:

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    I find it both good, and bad that you are still working on this game. Good because it might actually be finished (witch is VERY rare [for you or anyone else on PC]) and bad beacuse it's not done after what? a year?

well, just a quick comment about that - a year is actually a VERY short time for any game to be made.

most games, made by professional companies, putting millions of dollars into production, take anywhere from 3-5 years to complete, usually with a staff of 60-80 programmers, graphics artist, concept designers, etc etc. neo's been working on this (mostly) alone.

just a bit of perspective ;}

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I find it both good, and bad that you are still working on this game. Good because it might actually be finished (witch is VERY rare [for you or anyone else on PC]) and bad beacuse it's not done after what? a year?

And let's not forget that everything is being coded from scratch with Rm2k3's event coding- so I am still coding the basics and the foundation of the systems...
    And let's not forget I turned 21 last year and I decided to leave full time work and go back to college... So I think it's pretty crazy the energy I have put into this project so far considering my age, and how busy things have been for me for the last 2/3 years :)

And thanks scienceboy (in regards to your first post after mine)- I was the one who requested some feedback (in case anyone was wondering) :P

Thanks HOF for the kind words. Nice to have your support.
    Speedy- I was chatting to ya over VM.

Any more comments, questions or suggestions (kinda has a rhyme if you say it fast).

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    its an independent program, not a rom. you won't be able to run this in VBA, because it'll run by itself

Rake

- The Relentless Oblivion -
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    Awesome. Keep it up, just dont abandon it, ok? :)
    Just a thought, maybe you would convert it to DS or something too?

Atomic Reactor

It won't play on a DS cause it isn't a rom.
    This is meant to be played on the computer only.

GAK

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    yeah, too bad though :(
    if only this'd be possible it'd be awesome

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments- didn't notice any questions (well other then what was answered by Atomic_reactor and scienceboy). Got any?

Anyways.

Update: Another Request From a Fan Listened To.

Requested and discussed over at Calis Projects forum- I have went implemented the second "fan" update in a week.
    The feature is something a bit controversial in a Pokemon game but I went with it because it fits into Protectors...
    Saving in battle.
    Pokemon Protectors

Fitting in with my goal to "download and dive in" style design for Protectors, a user friendly feature- saving in battle is what is says it is.
    It works by pressing shift while on the battle commands menu (the menu letting you choose what to do in battle).
    Move the mouse up and click on the Battle Window to open the save menu- right click or press shift again to hide the menu and return to the main commands.
    It sounds like it's a bit hidden, but as you can guess from the concepts with this battle system, there will be a tutorial at the start of the game, and this will be explained in game, so don't worry.

I would love to hear what you think of this, because when this idea was first mentioned I kinda turned my nose up at it, but I think it fits well into my overall feel. Opinions or comments?

This update is also the second update that proves I really listen to you guys, so try give me some feedback.

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
    Years
  • Needed, Especially when you're playing a game on a computer. Saving during battles, a very bright Idea for whoever thought that up. Nice job on the look too.

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    I play all the pokemon games on my computer, so there were times when I did do stuff like that, save in the middle of a battle if it didn't go my way. but it kind of detracts from the experience of betting it all on whether luck is on your side.

But, you seem to want to put this feature in. In that case, I would impose a limit on it - make it so that a person can only do so once a battle. That way, there will be less chance for abusal. And the feature should be disabled for "boss" battles - such as, elite four, head of evil organization - and for legendary pokemon. Personally, I'd get rid of the feature altogether, but hey, its your game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back