• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon PureRGB (QoL romhack) (Complete! - possible future updates too)

Years
    • Seen today
    Turns out I already had an account on this forum from years ago, so I guess I will make a thread for it finally.

LdOLmT4.png
    Pokemon PureRGB

This is a purist's enhancement of Pokemon Red/Green/Blue based on the pokered disassembly. The goal is to enhance the original games for excellent replayability without bringing in mechanics, moves, sprites, visuals, type matchups, or pokemon that were introduced in later games.
    Many bugfixes/quality of life enhancements were made.
    A large amount of in-game options for gameplay and visuals / audio are provided.
    Beta content was added where I felt it made sense, and some new postgame areas (some hard to find) were added.
    Many pokemon/moves were rebalanced with the intention of making every pokemon useful or at least fairly usable. When I say rebalanced, I mean improve the bad pokemon, not nerf good ones. The good ones are still good.
    Convenience features were added like an entire new pokedex mode for checking the effects of moves you've seen called the MOVEDEX.

I am going to be linking to github pages a lot, because that's where the info about this romhack is maintained and kept up to date. Read the general info page for a more complete summary of the romhack. Read the features page for a huge list of every change I made to the original games. Both links are below.

Romhack's general info, credits, etcetera:
    https://github.com/Vortyne/pureRGB/blob/master/README.md

Romhack's full feature list (including many screenshots):
    https://github.com/Vortyne/pureRGB/blob/master/FEATURES.md

Romhack's wiki (learnsets, other data you may want to know while playing):
    https://github.com/Vortyne/pureRGB/wiki

Report bugs here:
    https://github.com/Vortyne/pureRGB/issues/new?assignees=&labels=&template=blank_issue.md

Download latest version here:
    https://github.com/Vortyne/pureRGB/releases/latest

It works on actual hardware. But I cannot guarantee trading or battling over link cable work perfectly. (They seem to work decently between PureRGB roms but I have not done exhaustive testing. For example, if you have different in-game battle options chosen on each cartridge, the battles will desync.)

There may or may not be some additional areas added (mostly postgame) in the future. The romhack can be considered complete in this state, but I am open to some other features I wrote down being added when I have time.

You can make suggestions, but please read the features page first (i know it's long) so you know what is in the romhack already, and what I don't plan on adding.

You can also ask questions about the romhack. If you request a change and I say "no", please don't have a conniption. The code is available for anyone to add stuff in their own fork if you want something changed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Version 2.4.3 was released - fixes a bug with giovanni's text script after you beat him in viridian gym.

Will start working on the next feature release in a couple of months.

Years
    • Seen today
    Version 2.4.4 was released - fixes the following bugs:

Bugs I caused:
    - collision detection bug in seafoam islands
    - leech seed gets cleared on the opponent when your own pokemon faints for some reason

Original game bugs:
    - hall of fame corruption caused by glitch pokemon's sprites getting uncompressed
    - mt moon b2f's trainers lose their sight range after obtaining one of the fossils

Years
    • Seen today
    I was just playing this game. Its great to see it here too. I was just wondering, can you do something about checking moves power and accuracy in-game? Or can I already do that?

Years
    • Seen today
    I was just playing this game. Its great to see it here too. I was just wondering, can you do something about checking moves power and accuracy in-game? Or can I already do that?

Use the MOVEDEX - you get it in viridian city (must have obtained pokedex)

Years
    • Seen today
    Use the MOVEDEX - you get it in viridian city (must have obtained pokedex)

Today I've completed my Pokédex (which I've done less than 5 times both in official versions and ROM hacks/fan games in my 25-year active tenure with Pokémon) and got my certificate. It looks like an end for me on this one but if I return to the game, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again for this masterpiece. I've taken a surprising visit to my childhood. I will definitely recommend your work to everyone!

Years
  • I just read the list of changes, this looks like just the ticket for my next replay of Gen I. Last time I played through was 7 years ago with Yellow Version (vanilla, 100% it). This one has implemented most changes I've been looking for, however, I don't see much in terms of added things to the Post Game? My main issue with Gen I was there was no post game, any plans to add any new areas, or even features like Gym Leader rematches with better teams, Elite 4 Rematches, Prof Oak battle after completing Pokedex, etc?

Years
    • Seen today
    I just read the list of changes, this looks like just the ticket for my next replay of Gen I. Last time I played through was 7 years ago with Yellow Version (vanilla, 100% it). This one has implemented most changes I've been looking for, however, I don't see much in terms of added things to the Post Game? My main issue with Gen I was there was no post game, any plans to add any new areas, or even features like Gym Leader rematches with better teams, Elite 4 Rematches, Prof Oak battle after completing Pokedex, etc?

yes, there is postgame, and a couple of things to do, check the features page

Years
    • Seen today
    my goal is not to add a massive amount of content though, i do plan on adding some stuff in the future, check the wiki

Years
  • wonder what would happen if a pokedoll was used on the ghost marowak in purergb?
    haven't had a chance to test that and that "glitch" was not mentioned anywhere in the wiki so I'm not sure if the glitch occurs or not

I know for sure that doesn't happen in shin pokemon as it is not allowed

Years
    • Seen today
    wonder what would happen if a pokedoll was used on the ghost marowak in purergb?
    haven't had a chance to test that and that "glitch" was not mentioned anywhere in the wiki so I'm not sure if the glitch occurs or not

I know for sure that doesn't happen in shin pokemon as it is not allowed

Same thing would happen that happens in the original game - considers ghost marowak "beaten" - I don't want to remove amusing "features" (even if unintended) that allow sequence breaking from the original game.

Years
    • Seen today
    Version 2.4.5 was released - fixes the following bugs:

Bugs I caused:
    - BUG: black screen bug during the SS Anne leaving animation - FIXED: reset the palette to avoid a black screen
    - BUG: Seismic Toss and Sonic Boom showing effectiveness messages - FIXED: make sure they use the original code and don't show any effectiveness messages after hitting the opponent

Days
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I'm playing it on original Game Boy, unless other hacks it doesn't need too much grinding (and speed up with emulators) and has a good level curve but still challenging (I'm in Celadon City) .

Days
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    First I want to say thanks to Vortiene and all the others who worked on this hack. Secondly has anyone written a guide for this hack? Or can I use an original red blue yellow guide in conjunction with the change info in the wiki? I'll just have to get used to reading the lines of code that show for the movesets tm locations etc

Years
    • Seen today
    First I want to say thanks to Vortiene and all the others who worked on this hack. Secondly has anyone written a guide for this hack? Or can I use an original red blue yellow guide in conjunction with the change info in the wiki? I'll just have to get used to reading the lines of code that show for the movesets tm locations etc

The only info not available in game is the learnsets. You can read what each move does from the movedex in game, which you can get in viridian city after getting the pokedex. TM locations are pretty much the same places as the original game but are mostly more useful moves. Since this romhack doesn't change that much story-wise you can use a guide to the original game. The change info on the wiki has everything that I changed in it.

Years
  • maybe in a future version of pureRGB, make a minor layout change on the 3rd floor of pokemon mansion in cinnabar island.
    otherwise, this may occur and could possibly get stuck if player has no escape rope, pocket abra or a pokemon with dig to get out

Years
    • Seen today
    maybe in a future version of pureRGB, make a minor layout change on the 3rd floor of pokemon mansion in cinnabar island.
    otherwise, this may occur and could possibly get stuck if player has no escape rope, pocket abra or a pokemon with dig to get out

Haha, that's funny! I'll change that block so the player can't get blocked

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Started playing this yesterday and I'm having great fun! Nice work.

I do have one question / suggestion, though: AI opponents have a chance to automatically fail any status move they use (string shot, thunder wave, etc.). I know this is not a glitch, but something that was even used in Gen II, which I don't like, as it technically puts the opponents at a disadvantage.

Since you gave enemy trainers the possibility of having DVs, couldn't you also disable the change of them automatically failing status moves too?

Years
    • Seen today
    Started playing this yesterday and I'm having great fun! Nice work.

I do have one question / suggestion, though: AI opponents have a chance to automatically fail any status move they use (string shot, thunder wave, etc.). I know this is not a glitch, but something that was even used in Gen II, which I don't like, as it technically puts the opponents at a disadvantage.

Since you gave enemy trainers the possibility of having DVs, couldn't you also disable the change of them automatically failing status moves too?

I did. But it doesn't start applying until after the thunderbadge. This allows new players to get used to the battle system.

To be clear, it only applies to stat down moves like growl, sand attack etc. not moves like thunderwave. (this is how the original game behaved.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hello, the best gen 1 remake I played. Question: is there any way of getting past the dark channeler?

Back