• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokemon Ranger - Deoxys' Crisis!" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss the in-series debut of Deoxys and return of the Pokemon Ranger, Solana, in "Pokemon Ranger - Deoxys' Crisis!".

My review to come forthwith.

Been a while since I did one of these. Heh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...Heh, tell me about it.

I didn't realize this was going to be on in the AFTERNOON, so I missed about half of it out of ignorance XP...but, from what I saw, it was okay, though I would have expected it to be on video or something...

However, something's bugging me--one, why did it have to be Normal Form, and two, if the Styler can take over Deoxys, then what's stopping a Ranger from going evil, taking over the REALLY strong Legendaries, and conquering the world...?

Years
    I enjoyed the episode. All those episodes, I'm in heaven! :chu: Is anyone esle creeped out by the capture stylus? I would think a person good enough to be a Ranger would be able to persuade a Pokemon to help rather than having to "capture" it's abilities. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, perhaps not. :paranoid:

Phatkav

Zero Creativity
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2021
    Saying a Pokemon Ranger could capture strong Pokemons and use for evil purposes is just like saying a police cop could use his gun for illegal things.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    heh i loved it! Pokemon Ranger Solana returns! I felt sorry for Meowth though, he's always being used as a puppet (remember Tentacool and Tentacruel?)

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    However, something's bugging me--one, why did it have to be Normal Form, and two, if the Styler can take over Deoxys, then what's stopping a Ranger from going evil, taking over the REALLY strong Legendaries, and conquering the world...?
    Why the Normal Form? Because that's the basic form of Deoxys you would normally find. Pretty much anything involving Deoxys has it's base form shown either first or instead of its attack, defense or speed forms.

And Pokemon doesn't need to make sense. The fact that there's a God of the Pokemon world and can be captured by a kid with a Monster Ball should tell you that the laws of physics and logic don't apply to the Pokemon world.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Why the Normal Form? Because that's the basic form of Deoxys you would normally find. Pretty much anything involving Deoxys has it's base form shown either first or instead of its attack, defense or speed forms.

And Pokemon doesn't need to make sense. The fact that there's a God of the Pokemon world and can be captured by a kid with a Monster Ball should tell you that the laws of physics and logic don't apply to the Pokemon world.

One, this sounds like a flame to me.

Two, that's in the games, but the rules of the games don't apply in the anime (see: levels and lack of Great, Ultra, & Master Balls).

Three, it may not go with our logic, but there IS a faint logic within the show that it went against.

Years
    Let's put out the flame here, but I'd say the anime has loose standards with the game mechanics and leave at that.

Anyway, my theory for the Normal form capture: to pad out the episode timing as it is an hour long episode. If you capture it outright like a Master Ball, rather cuts your plot by a 1/3th, doesn't it? Hence why the capture sequences felt so protracted compared to other aspects of the episode (Deoxys' exposition, the Rockets' concern for Meowth, the spotlight on Max). But I gave up making sense of the series years ago.

And I think Pokemon Ranger is basically stealing Team Rocket's shtick but without the moral/ethical guilt. Bah.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    One, this sounds like a flame to me.

Two, that's in the games, but the rules of the games don't apply in the anime (see: levels and lack of Great, Ultra, & Master Balls).

Three, it may not go with our logic, but there IS a faint logic within the show that it went against.
    One, not a flame. Otherwise I'd outright say it.

Two, since when did I say the rules of the anime were the same as the games?

Three, there's no "faint logic" that was went against in the show. We've seen ordinary people make attempts at capturing legendaries. Doesn't matter if they're good or bad, strong or weak. We've seen at least, in the second movie, someone capture three legendary Pokemon without the use of Pokemon.

In fact, scrap what I just said. What a person does with it depends on the person themself. Just because someone has power doesn't mean they're prone to doing evil deeds. As someone mentioned with a cop reference, just because they have power and the side of the law on their sides doesn't mean all cops abuse that power.

Pokemon Rangers aren't stealing Pokemon that belong to other trainers, nor are they abusing them and selling them off for a profit. They're far from the likes of the Rocket Gang. In fact, they pretty much just tame a Pokemon and have the ability to have them aid them in any missions they have. As we've seen before, they're usually let back into the wild.

Years
    As someone mentioned with a cop reference, just because they have power and the side of the law on their sides doesn't mean all cops abuse that power.

Pokemon Rangers aren't stealing Pokemon that belong to other trainers, nor are they abusing them and selling them off for a profit. They're far from the likes of the Rocket Gang. In fact, they pretty much just tame a Pokemon and have the ability to have them aid them in any missions they have. As we've seen before, they're usually let back into the wild.

That's true, but it's not like we see the other side (i.e. the law enforcement) beyond the occasional glimpses of Officer Jenny. Granted, they're compensating with the Pokemon Rangers, but they aren't the official countermeasure of Team Rocket (the Global Police is). More a sub branch, but that's how I see it. And the fact is, the villainy aspect is more popular and has more exposure in the anime (even the Team Rocket org as minimal as that is). Plus the "turning evil" characterization is so chic, in response to Icha's comments.

Anyway, my reason to post is, yes, I know the concept of Rangers and how it's the reverse irony of the Rockets' outright stealing. I'm just focusing on the "using" aspect -- you still use the Pokemon in both said groups. Not quite like stealing another Trainer's Pokemon with your Poke Balls or harming them as you let them immediately go with the Rangers. However, I think the argument can be made that said Pokemon could be differently exploited for the tasks at hand, albeit for short-term and benevolent purposes.

I emphasize could because the moral issue is debatable -- the real debate would, could be "would the ends justify the means?" for thought. Rangers just removes the negative connotations of the possible exploiting (as far as I'm concerned). That's not a criticism, just a personal observation.

More to the point, I want to say this: that above is my personal opinion of Rangers and I don't care for them. More power to those who do. I just see them differently. And I don't know if this is the place to argue that -- since we're getting off topic.

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I just saw all of the speacail today. For some reason the start of the show didn't record so I was in for a treat when they showed it tonight.

I just saying some of the privous things that was mention before.

Why the normal form? Well if you tried to catch it in the other forms it will be too powerful. You saw when the Ranger tried to catch it in the speed form. It was too fast. Then when she tried to catch it in the defense form it produce that barrier to break the ring.

Masterball. I don't think the class of pokeballs works in the anime. They are just different pokeballs that all. I remember in an episode when a wishcash stole Ash's badges and this guy was trying to catch the giant wishcash with a Masterball and the wishcash ate the pokeball and wasn't captured. Still we have learn the the game things don't apply to the anime.

The Rangers stealing pokemon? I don't think so. The Pokemon Ranger recuriting staff must have done an indepth research on each person applying for a Ranger job and must keep its technoogy like the Capture Styler very secertive. Anyways when a Ranger captures a pokemon with the Styler it only for a little bit. You saw the Miltank ran away after Deoxys started to attack.

I thought the speacail was great. I think they mention the Destiny Deoxys Movie too because I think they mention the city that it was set in. That was nice. I like it when the anime ties into the past episodes.

One question that is bugging me though and I wondering if anybody caught it but did you hear the name Professor Yung? You know the guy from the Mirage Speacail? The Nurse Joy said something about a Professor Yung watching Deoxys. Was I the only one who heard that?

Years
    According to the captions, the name "Professor Lund" was dropped, not "Yung". But, phonetically, it can be confusing. Besides, LaRousse City dropped in that sentence (I think), so put two and two together. It would be interesting if Yung did that as well, but I don't give the anime that much credit in foreshadowing/allusions.

They're not Joss Whedon for crying out loud. However, they are improving, I'll say that, at least.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    OH!!! I knew I heard the city's name LaRousse City. I looked it up on Serebii and it makes sense. Still that is a confussing name and Yung is more recent. It makes sense now. They mention the professor name from the Destiny Deoxys movie. I think this is the third time they have made a movie refrence in the anime. The first one was Lugia during the part in the Whirl Island. Then it was in the Mirage Specail and now in this one. I like it when they have some sort of connection with the older episodes and I wish they would do that more.

So now what I wondering is is this a different Deoxys then the one in the movie?

Years
    Well, I think the Mirage special went out of its way to cram in movie continuity (as say TV continuity), rather than think ahead as it was so hastily done (according to Dogasu's notes), but that's really another topic for another day.

Anyway, to Reyna, this Deoxys did have a good look at Ash, as did DD's Deoxys, so if the episode's Deoxys was indeed the movie's version, surely it would have made the connection to Ash at some point, right? Of course, the series is getting better in making TV Legendaries distinctive than the movie ones (like the OI Lugia and how that Lugia's emergence didn't make the world implode, same with Johto and Noland's Articuno, and the recent Celebi appearance).

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    Why doesn't anyone mention when this special is showing? I need to see it for myself and everyone waits until after it's been shown to talk about it. Also, why doesn't Cartoon Network show any commercials about it? Sorry if I got a little irritable, but some people should be informed about these things.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Why doesn't anyone mention when this special is showing? I need to see it for myself and everyone waits until after it's been shown to talk about it. Also, why doesn't Cartoon Network show any commercials about it? Sorry if I got a little irritable, but some people should be informed about these things.

Because CN doesn't advertise their fillers, and that's what this was this time--just a filler between MIB and Adult Swim.

I actually got to see the whole thing this time, and it makes more sense, especially since I've also played the game through (points to me for accidently guessing the plot correctly). I also liked the little movie tie-in, but the problem is that at least one of them should have chimed in, "Oh yeah, we were there to see it," but nothing came out (probably the result of it not being in the Japanese version?). I also got a question answered that nobody on here would answer.

Overall an okay episode, and nice to see Speed Deoxys' first actual in-show appearance.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I don't remember CN ever advirtising this episode at all. The way I found out about it was on Serebii when they have the sidebar on the next new episodes that are going to be shown in the US. Then there was my DVR that records all new episodes of Pokemon. Still I notice CN doesn't really advertise anything that isn't theirs. Like with the recent movie they advertise like crazy for but there was nothing for this one.

So this Deoxys is a different one then? That means there are three Deoxys in the world and each one of them is different.

Years

CN usually advertises new Pokemon episodes during its weekday afternoon broadcasts, as well as the Saturday morning showings, during Toonami and Sunday afternoons.

Back