• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Red & Blue Perfected

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    Hey everyone, I created my first rom hack, a difficulty hack for Pokemon Red and Blue. It's the same game as the official versions but more difficult and with some quality of life improvements. This version isn't insanely difficult, just enough so that you will have more of a challenge than you would replaying the original versions of the game. Only the boss battles are more difficult, all the regular trainers are the same.

My goal in creating this hack was to create a "legal" version of the game that is more difficult and has some cool features. All the original game mechanics have been preserved and the movesets are still gen 1 legal, the only caveat being that some Pokemon learn their level up moves earlier than in the official versions. I implemented this change to accommodate the higher difficulty level and so that good TM's don't need to be wasted on Pokemon that should have learned those moves via level up in the official games anyway.

Give it a playthrough and let me know what you think!

Acknowledgement: Credit goes to TheFakeMateo AKA JustRegularLuna for providing the disassembly base I used for this romhack (pokred clean which can be found here: https://github.com/JustRegularLuna/pokered-clean)

Change Log:

--Changed the Pokemon teams, levels and movesets of all the major boss battles in the game (Gym leaders, Elite 4, Giovanni and your Rival).

-Improved AI. They use better items and moves. Fixed Blaine using Super Potion's even when his Pokemon aren't below 10% health. Fixed female CoolTrainer's coding to make her switch her Pokemon. Made the Elite 4 and some gym leaders use full restores instead of just hyper potions and also made some of them have a slight chance to switch their Pokemon. Made Misty use XSpecial instead of XDefend. Made Giovanni use Full Restore when his Pokemon's HP is low instead of using Guardspec.

-Removed badge stat boosts so that your Pokemon have more parity with that of the opponent's.

-Altered lots of level up movesets so that Pokemon can learn their Pokemon Yellow movesets and also learn some moves earlier, as well as moves they only got before via TM. For example, most fire, grass and electric pokemon will learn Fire Blast, Mega Drain/Solarbeam and Thunderbolt/Thunder respectively via level up instead of needing to use TM's on them. This way the TM's are freed up to be used on other Pokemon, like teaching Starmie Thunderbolt or Gengar Mega Drain etc.

-Added running shoes! Hold B to run and also when riding the bike to increase speed.

-Added some good TM's to Indigo Plateau mart. Ether is also purchasable here, which you may need to get through the Elite 4.

-Removed Dugtrio from Diglett's Cave. Catching high level Dugtrio's made beating Lt. Surge too easy in the original versions so now the highest Diglett you can get is level 21.

-Raised the levels of Legendary Bird Pokemon from 50 to 55

-Raised the level of Mewtwo to level 80

-Raised the levels of certain cave Pokemon

-Changed a few minor dialogue texts.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://easyupload.io/88f5f9

For some reason I wasn't able to upload the file here so I've uploaded it at the link above.

UPDATE: October/09/2022 <-----Further balance changes. I edited the opponent's teams to improve balance and give them superior Pokemon rosters.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    Edit: Forgot to mention I also removed Badge Stat boosts. This way your Pokemon have parity with the opponent instead of gaining an artificial advantage via badges.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2023
    I believe it does, I used the same code listed in the pokered wiki tutorial which does that.

Last edited:
    Back