• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Decomps] Pokemon Starsurge (Name still pending)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Hey guys, I have recently started a project that (for now) is called Pokemon Starsurge using Pokemon FR as the base (most likely DPE/CFRU). Personally quite flexible, if you would like to volunteer it's very possible convince me to use Essentials instead. I am currently on VERY EARLY stages of this so I will not have any screenshots, and I am also very ambitious with this project so please bear with me.

Goals for this game

The vision I have for this game is huge. It is to basically satisfy MOST of the player base. What does that mean?

This means I would like this game to satisfy:

1. the different types of players who play rom hacks. This means that I want people who like playing the game casually, nuzlockers, people who like a difficult challenge, or people who just play for the story to enjoy the game. This usually comes with a difficulty setting so I hope that isn't too hard. I would also like to have two different modes: minimal grinding and grinding. Like Radical Red, I understand the sentiment when people say it's too much grinding and optimization, but I also understand that some people may like these features. So the minimal grinding mode will be left with only nature changes and no IV and EV grinding.

2. people who enjoy different pokemon. Personally, I enjoy really difficult games, whether if its nuzlocke or insane difficulty games like in Pokemon Unbound, and that comes with the viability of pokemon. Now, we all know each pokemon is someone's favorite pokemon out there, and I want them to be able to use these pokemon and make them feel like they are viable throughout the game. This comes with balancing pokemon, and I have already buffed all pokemon up to generation 8. I buffed pokemon to scale UP so that they are more in competition with the pseudos. However, I know that this is a tough job so I will have friends who will play test to that, so my pokemon changes are technically just a rough draft.

3. people who enjoy NEW pokemon, therefore, fakemon. Now I understand that this is a tough one to deal with. Not EVERYONE enjoys having fakemon in the game, which is why I would (ambitious goals incoming) like to make 2 separate games. Both are essentially the same game, but one is with fakemon, and one is without. You might think, wouldn't the story be different then? It wouldn't, because I don't plan on making the story BASED on fakemon. Fakemon will be in the game for freshness, and for people who actually enjoy fakemon. Just like how there are rom hacks that have 2 versions where one has changes to pokemon, and one doesn't because people would like to enjoy pokemon at their original state. This is probably harder to pull off compared to that, but its an ambition and I might scrap that IF NECESSARY. This is also what i meant by satisfying "most" of the player base. Because some might enjoy the pokemon at their original state, and this game wouldn't have that.

Story

So I understand that there are a lot of games out there that are seemingly... edgy. I personally do not have a problem with the story's edginess, but sometimes I would just like a pokemon rom hack story that doesn't have to, say, have villains who kill people. I don't think the official pokemon stories cut it either. I think there are stories that can be good enough and not include edgy things like killing or kidnapping. Yes it's closer to real life cause that's what people and villains do, but it's pokemon, it's fictional, we don't necessarily need that.

The premise of the story that I currently have in mind is based on a new region. It's in an alternate universe where Team Rocket has flourished, and have already dominated several regions, and now would like to dominate the region where you came from. Obviously, Kanto would be taken over, and there are some other regions that have been taken over, and some aren't. They could be your ally, or maybe there are some people that you already know, such as champions (Cynthia would probably be one of them) is part of Team Rocket. That is the basic premise, and of course there needs to be a reason to be challenging gyms, the elite four, and the champion.

I don't have much on this aspect yet though, however.

Features

• A large roster of pokemon. I would like to add my own pokemon in which is around 80-90 pokemon. This would be closing in on 1000 pokemon.
    • Physical/Special split in a gen 3 game
    • New moves and abilities
    • Very daring buffs to many many of the pokemon, which is to simply and hopefully make many pokemon viable, while differentiating itself from other rom hacks in this regard
    • New pokemon. There will be two games, one with new pokemon for those who enjoy it, and one without because they don't like fakemon.
    • Different difficulty levels! Hopefully I can make four levels of difficulty. With the 2 hardest ones with a level cap.
    • Complete freedom of which starter to choose. Among the 8 generations + the fakemon generation starters.
    • Toggle-able full team EXP share
    • Minimal grinding mode and a regular mode.
    • QOL changes such as name raters, move tutors, move relearners, easy HM usage, and forgettable HMs, etc.
    • Megas! Probably some new megas too. Most gigantamax forms will become megas, and in the fakemon version even more new megas.

This is so far the rough list of features that I can think of.

Position Volunteers

I don't like to sound condescending, I kinda hate being what I don't like and that's one of them so I hope that's not what I'm doing here! But as the one who's trying to found this project, I guess that makes me the director of this project? I am also a SPRITER even though it's been tough for me to do all this sprite by myself I don't want a different style of pokemon sprites left and right, which is why I will be the only spriter. In any case, I am not looking for a HUGE team. I'm looking for a small team that can do their job, but let me know if you need more people helping you out. What I'm looking for are:

**CODER(S):** This is probably the most important thing as of right now. I tried the DPE and CFRU thing on my own, and honestly, I gotta say I'm not very good at it. The required edits are hard to follow on the CFRU side, and overall it's been quite messy for me. Since I'm quite ambitious about the features of this game, I probably CANNOT do this on my own if I want to implement more complex features. Therefore, pls help.

PIXEL ARTISTS: Now I DID say that I don't want anymore spriters. But maybe new battle backgrounds and overworld tiles that look a little neater would be nice.

CONCEPT ARTISTS: I do like professionalism. Concept arts somewhat show professionalism for your game and I enjoy looking "official". If you're good at drawing in pokemon style, it would be fantastic. There will be at times when sprite arts will be drawn as concept arts, and there will be times when concept arts will be later drawn as sprites. Chicken or the egg, doesn't matter which comes first.

As for right now, this is all I need. There might come a time when I want customized music/sounds where I would like a composer, or mappers and stuff. But as a beginner in rom hacking, this is really all I can think of and just need some assistance in formualting the game. FYI this game might take a while to produce cause I don't plan on forming a big team, but yeah.

If you are interested, please add me on discord or just DM me on discord, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discord: bertcamem#9704

Also if you're interested in some sprites, these are what I got so far:

Pokemon Starsurge (Name still pending)

This is from a post I made on reddit before. It's kinda weird cause I kinda have the typing of the elite fours set, and possibly the gym leaders as well, but of course they are flexible to change.

Anyways I've been talking too much, hope you all have a great day!

Credits:
    u/Kingfin128 on reddit for the type template for my sprites

Last edited:

crazy hacker

Dragon tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    I can be a CONCEPT ARTIST and a Beta tester . Just messeage me in pokecommunity i will help.

Back