• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Trainer AZ coincidence *spoilers possibly*

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    Hi all,

Would just like to talk about something which I can't quite deal with!

Now about halfway through Pokemon Y, I was talking to Lysandre I believe. And he mentioned that I shared the same name as a King that lived in the region many years before the prior game. I felt a bit shocked, as (at the time) I thought this was the first game in which the protagonist child of the pokemon game was in some way connected to a deeper part of thee story, or rather being 'the chosen one' not just a new pokemon trainer out in the world.

When the end of the game came and I battled said King, I was not surprised his name was 'Az', as I was fully aware we shared the same name.

However, after reading various sites and also from comparing stories with my friends.. It turns out the name of the king isn't determined by your name but is always 'Az'... Now I can't get my head around this. Firstly, it's important to mention that my name on pokemon, since the days of pokemon red and blue has always been Az. It has been my nickname for many years based on the name I use for all my other gaming ids (Azzers: xbox live, steam. Psonline etc.) I also can't believe the creators added a line into the game about me sharing my name with the king which no one else could have seen.

I just wanted to write about my surprise - Az just seems like such a strange name for a king and for any character in the pokemon franchise. Does this mean 'Az' may appear in the anime any time soon?

Pretty strange, huh?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    I don't get this thread that does not really have anything to do with the main story or X and Y, just because he shares the same name as you? Then there are many whom should freak out at Youngster Joey just because they are Joeys, too?

SamStyle

Mega Bidoof
    Years
    he's called AZ because of the games being X & Y first letter of the alphabet (A) and the last (Z)

It's just a play on the letters

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    Well Az isn't exactly a common name like joey is it...

Just a coincidence is all! Just posting it because I thought it was interesting, and to show my appreciation for the line saying we had the same name.

Cheers am! Hadn't considered that!

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I think the point of the thread was to comment on the fact that GF added extra text if you have the same name. Very cool in my opinion. I wonder what other characters it works with. How much extra text was added?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    Exactly.

Not much, just the one extra text box I think! A nice addition indeed :)

Back