• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Weakness's/Strengths Reasons?

Years
    What are the causes or ideas of certain Types to be weak to each other? Some are obvious such as:

Fire<<<Water Water naturally takes out fire

And some take a little bit of thinking such as:

Fighting<<<Psyhcic Power of thinking over physicall movements...

And some are guesses:

Flying<<<Rock Throwing rocks at birds(?)

Perhaps we could compile a list of some kind on this?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    Well, Fire beats Grass because it burns it...and I guess Grass beats Water because it absorbs the water or something?

Water beats Rock probably based on erosion in real life.

Flying probably beats Fighting because Fighting types need to be close to their opponent but Flying can...fly out of the way?!? :(

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    the ones that puzzle me most are the various relationships of bug pokemon. weak to flying and fire i can understand, but why rock? and why some of the resistances/effectivenesses? what makes bugs so special that they can own psychic pokemon?

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
    Fighting is weak against Psychic because of the phrase, "Brain beats Brawn." so a psychic type can just attack from a distance while a fighting type is rendered useless by the power of trickery and intelligence.

Electric beats water as water conducts electricity, while electric has no effect on ground because the ground dissipates the energy from electricity.
    I think rock beats bug because bugs can easily be squashed by rocks due to having easily crushable shells.

One that I don't get is how steel beats ice. How is ice special against steel?

Shaterpie

Gold Caterpie > Red Gyarados
    Years
    Why does grass beat rock? 10 years and I still don't know why, I just accepted it.

I'm also slightly lost on everything Ice does.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
    Why does grass beat rock? 10 years and I still don't know why, I just accepted it.

Similar to water, plants can erode through rock in many different ways, i.e, breaking them with their roots, or eroding them with acids they produce. /geology lesson.

I've always thought that if water is weak to electric, than surely steel should be weak to electric as well. I have no idea why Dark > Psychic, why Bug > Psychic, why Ice > Dragon, or why Ground > Steel. There are others, but I can't think of them right now. But like many people, I've just come to accept these as just how things are. Thank you, 10 years of playing Pokemon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Electric
    Electricutes things that are in the air -Flying
    Water conducts Electricity- Water

Fire
    Wildfires and Firewood- Grass
    Steel and metals melt when hot enough - Steel
    Ice melts when hot - Ice
    Insects dont survive fire - Bug

Flying
    Birds eat worms and insects- Bug
    Birds eat seeds and fruit - Grass
    fighting pokemon can not reach flying targets so an airbourne pokemon has the advantage - Fighting

Steel
    Steel is capable of breaking through rocks and Ice - Rock/Ice

Rock
    Bugs are easily smashed by stones - Bug
    Harder than Ice - Ice
    Killing 2 birds with 1 stone - Flying
    Fire? Not sure when u can start a fire using stones

Dragon
    Dragons are the biggest threat to other Dragons

Ice
    Winter disables many plants fore long periods of time, killing some flowers - Grass
    Birds fly south to escape winter and its not safe for planes to fly in icy weather -Flying

These are the ones that make sense to me. I have more for Water, Psychic and Fighting but I dont feel like typing much more.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    the ones that puzzle me most are the various relationships of bug pokemon. weak to flying and fire i can understand, but why rock? and why some of the resistances/effectivenesses? what makes bugs so special that they can own psychic pokemon?

The rock-thingy have been covered already. Bugs might be able to cripple psychic pokemon due to the fact that they are not as easily influenced, simple as they are.
    Also, due to their generally high intelligence and kind of human-like behavior, they might simply think that bugs are yucky. :badsmile:

Think of it this way. If it is icy outside, you might decide to either wear some "spikes" on your shoes to prevent yourself from falling, or you might simply shatter the ice using some kind of tool.
    In both cases, there is some kind of metal shattering the ice, because it is more sturdy. So it does make sense, in a way.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    What are the causes or ideas of certain Types to be weak to each other? Some are obvious such as:

Fire<<<Water Water naturally takes out fire

And some take a little bit of thinking such as:

Fighting<<<Psyhcic Power of thinking over physicall movements...

And some are guesses:

Flying<<<Rock Throwing rocks at birds(?)

Perhaps we could compile a list of some kind on this?
    Psychic vs. Fighting was something along the brain over brawn reasons, I guess. Rocks are generally too heavy for the flying Pokemon to fly with, so they'd stay grounded, thus having a weakness to them.

Well, Fire beats Grass because it burns it...and I guess Grass beats Water because it absorbs the water or something?

Water beats Rock probably based on erosion in real life.

Flying probably beats Fighting because Fighting types need to be close to their opponent but Flying can...fly out of the way?!? :(
    Grass and most plants need water to grow, so it would actually be beneficial for them to take water in. And that's exactly why Rock is weak against water and why fighting is weak against flying.

Because rocks can squish bugs?

Guessing at the moment, but I guess its somewhere along the lines of how steel is a hard solid while ice is easily broken. Steel is harder than ice so it can crack it, I guess?

Grass grows out of the ground, where as rocks are made out of hardened dirt. And Grass would be supereffective because it uses dirt to its advantage to grow, I guess. :|

Similar to water, plants can erode through rock in many different ways, i.e, breaking them with their roots, or eroding them with acids they produce. /geology lesson.

I've always thought that if water is weak to electric, than surely steel should be weak to electric as well. I have no idea why Dark > Psychic, why Bug is > Psychic, why Ice > Dragon, or why Ground > Steel. There are others, but I can't think of them right now.
    Psychic weak against dark was plainly to patch up the Psychic type domination before the GSC series. Realistically, I guess dark possess some sort of mysterious power that psychic cannot interpret or something?

Bug is strong agaisnt psychic because... well... I'm guessing psychic types are just afraid or something. I don't know. XD

Dragon is weak against ice because of the same reason that flying is weak against ice. They can't fly or do any other things that they need to do when they're frozen.

Ground is strong against Steel because for the reason that Steel, rock, and others were formed out of earth. Rock and steel are just dirt that have gone under some transformation, and I guess the theory that they're weak to what they formed out of comes into effect here.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    I've always thought that if water is weak to electric, than surely steel should be weak to electric as well. I have no idea why Dark > Psychic, why Bug > Psychic, why Ice > Dragon, or why Ground > Steel. There are others, but I can't think of them right now. But like many people, I've just come to accept these as just how things are. Thank you, 10 years of playing Pokemon.

Dark > Psychic is maybe due to when it is dark, you can't concentrate as well, and that is exactly the skill and focus that the psychic-types really depend on? Or maybe they do simply have a FEAR OF THE DARK!:cool:

Ice > Dragon is possibly due to the fact that we consider the dragons as FLYING, mythical creatures, and thereby, Ice might be super effective against them.

Ground > Steel.... well, look at this, and you might get some ideas :)

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    If rock beats bugs by sqaushing them, and it beats birds by being flung at them....

Shoudnt flying beat water because it scoops them up.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017

Because rocks smash bugs XD3 And bugs need to be stron against something, so why not psychic, which was majorly over-powered in the 1st gen?

Years
    If rock beats bugs by sqaushing them, and it beats birds by being flung at them....

No bugs get eaten by birds, squashing and eating them kills them, birds scooping water is not exactly killing and most importantly water is usually in big amounts to make a body such as the sea so birds with there small beaks taking a small amount, does not do much to it does it.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Dragon is weak to Ice because if/when dragons existed, the Ice Age knocked them out.
    The Poison<Psychic thing I never really understood either. Speaking of which, how is Steel immune to Poison?

Because it cant get into the pokemon because the steel is to hard and thick. Also, how do you expect tp poison a block of steel.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years

It's everyday that you see a big bird flying over the ocean with a big spoon to scoop some water up.

I see little to no relation with birds and scooping. If you're referring to pelicans, well, that's only a small portion of the flying type.

Dragon is weak to Ice because if/when dragons existed, the Ice Age knocked them out.
    The Poison<Psychic thing I never really understood either. Speaking of which, how is Steel immune to Poison?
    There's nothing for the toxins to poison. Steel is just... steel. o3o

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It's everyday that you see a big bird flying over the ocean with a big spoon to scoop some water up.

I see little to no relation with birds and scooping. If you're referring to pelicans, well, that's only a small portion of the flying type.

There's nothing for the toxins to poison. Steel is just... steel. o3o

Actually hundreds of bird species hunt out of the water. Pelicans are not the only ones that scoop either.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Actually hundreds of bird species hunt out of the water. Pelicans are not the only ones that scoop either.
    It is a small portion of the type regardless. Just because an animal related to a certain element is hunted by another does not mean that they should be weak to it. I mean, plenty of Cheetahs hunt deer; should normal be weak to normal? Among the cheetah line, plenty of them hunt birds. Should flying be weak to normal? No. You have to focus on the element as a whole. Birds scoop water, big whoop. It's not doing much to the element as a whole. The water's still there. It's just taking water, not enough for it to be really judged as a weakness.

Back