• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon World Crisis (1st demo available)

Years
    Alrighty! Here we go.

When I joined the forum I noted that I'm working on a hack using Pokemon Essentials. In this thread I'll talk a little bit about it. I've decided to call it Pokemon World Crisis.

First off...this is my FIRST HACK EVER. I'm really excited about it.

It takes place in a kind of merged world after Giovanni gets his hands on a certain Legendary POKEMON.

The merged world has cities, routes, and landmarks from every region up through Kalos. I'm not sure if this will include Alola or not. I haven't decided. I'm feeling that Kalos is pretty definite though.

These are the things you can expect to see in this demo:

There's a fairly short prologue where you play as Red, but most of the game is played as Leaf. Because I decided if I was going to do Red in the prologue...why not make her the main character?

Most of the music is from various Pokemon games, but I have included some non-Pokemon tracks that some of you will probably recognize.

In the first demo, you can catch (give or take) 50 kinds of Pokemon from various regions, but not Kalos yet. You can catch Alolan Rattata, but I haven't included other Alolas so far.

In this demo you will also notice that you can rematch trainers by talking to them. I included that feature because I thought it was cool, but if you guys think it would be better/more challenging to exclude this feature...I can remove it the second demo release. With the way the difficulty currently is, you'll have to rematch the trainers some, so I haven't made it TOO easy.

You will also notice that there's a Master Ball you can find in one of the routes in this demo. This is another idea I'd be willing to change if you guys think more than one Master Ball makes the game too easy. Honestly, I wasn't going to put a lot of additional Master Balls. Just more than the usual ONE. You'd still have to use standard balls for some of the Legendaries.

This game includes a prologue (set in Pallet Town), Three Island, Rustboro City, and Oreburgh City. There's also a bit more you can do after Oreburgh. There's Pokemon for you to catch, but the demo doesn't go up to another city.

HM01 has been replaced with a custom item of my own making for cutting down trees. Because I thought that would be cool. I don't know how to make an actual custom item, so it'll say you got the item, and the script is there for you to use it, but it won't be in your bag. It is called the 'Saturn's Scythe'. I'd be willing to make a custom item if someone can explain to me the mechanics of it.

The demo includes a special area at the end that will be in every future release. You'll need to find and talk to Professor Rowan after beating Oreburgh gym. This isn't just a demo special feature. It is part of the story, but it'll give you a little more to do while I work on the second demo if you plan to keep playing some. You'll be able to catch more Pokemon in the special area.

What I plan to do in future demos and the final release:

There will be a post-game region entirely of my own creation after you beat the Pokemon League and stop Giovanni's newest schemes. The post-game region has a big part in the overall story, so you'll definitely want to play. If I decide to follow through with everything I want to do. As of now, I have every intention of making my own region for the post-game...but we'll see.

I plan to put portals throughout the world to areas from the series like Cerulean Cave, so you can catch Mewtwo and others. The portals aren't just filler content in this game. They actually make perfect sense within the greater story.

I plan to create some kind of Coliseum to replace the Battle Frontier feature for this hack. I think this will be better than the Battle Frontier in a few ways, but it won't be as polished. I'll probably make it so that you have to win specific Pokemon and such through Coliseum tournaments if you want to fill the dex.

The Pokedex. That's another thing. I plan to make it so that you can get a complete dex up through Unova at least, but probably Kalos since I'm including some Pokemon from there for the Kalos-themed part of the story.

I plan to do some custom sprites for Leaf's best friend/rival, but in the first demo he just has a Youngster sprite.

There are three buildings in the demo that are just kind of there and you can't enter them. I plan to put something in them during the next release. There is also an incomplete feature in Oreburgh. You can talk to the guy, but the feature isn't complete, so it'll cancel after you make a choice. This WILL be fixed later.

I plan to do some polishing of what I've already finalized for the first demo, but this will not be perfect by any stretch of the imagination. After all, this is still my first hack.

I may or may not expand the prologue to be longer in future releases. You guys can tell me what you think on that. I'm open to all your feedback, and I will take it into consideration at very least.

Well I think that's everything I wanted to touch on for now. I'd like to credit the following people for helping with resources. (I did the music rips/conversions myself, and I did Roark's battle sprite)

Truly, I thank these wonderful folks without whom this hack wouldn't be possible:

Pokemon Essentials (all credits)
    Created by:
    Flameguru
    Poccil (Peter O.)
    Maruno

With contributions from:
    Boushy, MiDas Mike,
    Brother1440, Near Fantastica,
    FL., PinkMan,
    Genzai Kawakami, Popper,
    help-14, Rataime,
    IceGod64, Savordez,
    Jacob O. Wobbrock, SoundSpawn,
    KitsuneKouta, the__end,
    Lisa Anthony, Venom12,
    Luka S.J., Wachunga,
    and everyone else who helped out
    Thank you so much!

Additional thanks to:

PurpleZaffre for the Gen 4 overworld trainer sprites. Thank you!
    WesleyFG for the Gen 4 overworld tiles. Thank you!
    Mr. Gela/theo#7722 for most of the Gen 4 trainer sprites used in battles. Thank you!
    Zeak6464 for making the outside tile set for Pokemon Emerald available, which I used for the Gen 3 overworld tiles. Thank you!
    Zerokid for making available the Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon battle sprites I used and the relevant scripts (such as move sets). Thank you!

Screenshots, but I only included the minimum 2 because I don't want to spoil too much:

Pokemon World Crisis (1st demo available)

Pokemon World Crisis (1st demo available)

Pokemon World Crisis can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/37lp8po6j018jtw/Pokemon_World_Crisis.rar/file

Thanks for playing guys! Hope you enjoy the demo! Please feel free to share anything with me about it. Tell me if anything needs correcting, or suggestions for improvements.

I've learned how to use Essentials to make a playable game, but I'm still learning all the finer points of it.

The next demo will go up to either Gym 7 or 8 and may take a little bit for me to release.

Years
    Hey man,
    I just played through you demo and for a first try on a fangame it's pretty decent.
    I also have found some things you might want to change or look into. I'll put them in a spoiler so others can still play it blind if they want.

Spoiler:

I'm really looking forward to see what you make out of this game and if you need any support, I'd be happy to help out. Just pn me. ^^

Back