• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen PokeRadar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 23, 2008
    Well I know there have been a few because the mods think this is useless however that is not true. On every forum I have gone to so far, they have one and it even gets them more members so thats a pro. But there will always be idiots asking whats on the first post so mods, get over it.

~MerBear from SPPF Guide~

I've been chaining for a while and learned a lot from reading Shuko and Pokerealm's posts, guides and videos. Here are some tips to help folks who are having trouble:

o Buy hundreds of Max Repels. Once you have a chain at 40 you don't want to run out. I usually start chaining with over 300. Money is easy to get using the VS Seeker on the rich folks near the mansion. Keep battling them until you have enough to buy lots of Max Repels.

o Each time you are in a grass space and activate the pokeradar imagine this grid around you (with you being 0 in the center):

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
    4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
    4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
    4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
    4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4
    4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
    4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
    4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
    4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Four spaces are chosen to be shaking spaces. One in the 1 area, one in 2, one in 3 and one in 4. (If you want to verify this, watch some videos on youtube and pause it during the shaking.) Those four spots chosen to shake may or may not land in grass. If where you're standing causes any part of the grid to be on a non-grass space there is a chance you won't see four shaking grasses as some may end up in non-grass spots.

This is why the chain can break if you're near an edge. If all four chosen spaces land on non-grass spaces your chain will end. This would explain why you really do need to stay at least one space away from a wall or edge so you're guaranteed to get at least one grass to shake in the 1 area and not break your chain. Remember you can always reset the radar if you don't like the shaking grasses available to you.

The above explains why sometimes people go into battle with the right type of pokemon, but it still breaks the chain. I think the next four spaces are chosen as you enter battle and if you are near an edge and the four land in non-grass areas, the chain breaks. It's happened to me, but not since I've followed these steps.

When building your chain to 40, the safest shaking grass to choose is one in the 4 area. It should shake in the same way as the first grass you went into in the chain. I like to choose the bright sparkle shaking grass as that is easiest to see. From what I can tell there are four types:
    long no sparkle
    sort dim sparkle
    short bright sparkle
    long bright pulsing sparkle <- shiny!

Try to reset the radar near the middle of the grass so that the 4 area will not land against a wall or edge. If the one in the 4 area has any non-grass area around it, don't choose it or you risk braking your chain on the next round of shakes. Just reset the radar. Be patient.

The next important thing is resetting the radar. Don't be afraid to do it often. You should have hundreds of Max Repels (see above) so don't skimp on using them. When resetting, stay a few spaces near where you last used the radar or you risk walking out of range and breaking your chain. I like to choose a row where no grasses shook and run back and forth three or four squares in each direction.

Once you hit 40, stop going into grasses unless it is a shiny pokemon. Just stay near the middle of the grass area and reset the radar. Run back and forth in a short range and reset again. Make sure not to walk into the space above your head unless you clearly saw 4 grasses shaking, otherwise you risk stepping into the wrong type of shaking grass if you didn't see one shake behind your character.

Most important of all, stop and take breaks when you're not concentrating fully. Just stop in the middle of a battle or when you reset the radar and need to walk more spaces. Close the lid on the DS and plug it in. You can keep a chain going for days. The ponyta chain I'm on now started several days ago. I just come back to it and continue resetting the radar for shinies when I have time. It may take 20 minutes or an hour between shinies, but they appear eventually.

This next is just a superstition on my part. If you're looking for a particular pokemon to start a chain and can't find it, try switching your lead pokemon to something else. I think certain pokemon in the lead cause you to encounter certain types more easily than others. Could be wrong, but it works for me.

Hope this didn't sound preachy. I just want to help everyone get more shinies. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck to everyone,
    Merbear

PokeRadar Qeustion and Awnser

Q:What is a Pokeradar?
    A:Its a device you get after the national dex that lets you find some very rare pokemon.

Q:Is this a hacking device?
    A:Are you retarded? Read the first qeustion.

Q:What number should I start reseting the radar?
    A:30-40 is good and if you want to do it over 40 thats fine too.

Q:How high can a chain go?
    A:As long as you want

Q:What does a shiny patch look like?
    A:Like this.

Q:What is a shiny patch?
    A:It is a patch seen only with the pokeradar and only in the grass. It shinies very strongly and is the longest lasting patch.

Q:Can I find legendaries with it?
    A: No

Q:Will this ruin my game?
    A:NO!

Q:Can I see the shiny patch before 40?
    A:Yes. You can see it from 1-every number

Q:If I run will it break my chain?
    A:Yes

Q:Can I use my bike?
    A:No.

Q:Can I use the running shoes?
    A:Yes

Q:Is it possible to chain in a sandstorm or blizzard or rain?
    A:Yes. Just a lot harder.

Q:What is the easiest chainable pokemon?
    A:All common pokemon and swarmining pokemon a fairly easy.

Q:If I catch a pokemon will it break my chain?
    A:No.

Any qeustions please PM me

Q&A by me​

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2008
    There dont really need 100 of Max repel, i just use 50 max for each time i'm chain...Just save the game before you chain..

Here, i got few tips that i want to share..

XXXXXXXX#XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXX#XXX%XXXXXXX

% = you
    # = moving patch
    X = grass)

Well, that seem to be a need of reseting Poke'Radar because less than 4 patch appear..(Most of guide say that it has high chance tok your chain
    Well, there is patch that is 4 patches away from you..That patch has high chance to continue chaining the pokemon

NOTE: Pokemon that is stated rare(Poke'Radar) ONLY for the moving patch that is 'short bright sparkle'
    Swarm pokemon is not rare, it is uncommon...So it better to choose moving patch that is 'sort dim sparkle'

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 23, 2008
    Sorry I didnt post yesterday I was sick again

But, I got 2 shiny shellos west (Ended at 46) a shiny larvatar at 27 (ended at 33) 6! shiny buizel ended at 63, and I have had a Pachrisu chain going for awile. Its at 69 and I have caught 4 shinies and I accidently killed one :x

gotron228

^_^
    Years
  • Well bad luck for me whenever I chain the chain brakes I really am trying to aqquire a shiny camerupt I'm hoping thats my first shiny I aqquire once I get 5 shinys I'll make an image deisplaying my shinies!

splosh

Russian Reversaler
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    You guys are so lucky getting shinies at 27 and stuff...I usually have to reset for about half an hour after hitting 40 until I find a shiny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back