• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [Pokered] Level Caps

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    I have recently been experimenting with the idea of a harder Pokemon Red and I would love to add level caps since battles in between badges have increased levels giving the player more Exp. However, I have a limited knowledge of .asm files and I have no idea how to go about implementing this feature. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have recently been experimenting with the idea of a harder Pokemon Red and I would love to add level caps since battles in between badges have increased levels giving the player more Exp. However, I have a limited knowledge of .asm files and I have no idea how to go about implementing this feature. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not sure how similar the gen 1 and gen 3 games are but maybe the soft exp level caps mod for emerald can give you some idea of what code you need to change and how.
    As for asm pokecrystal's wiki has a page with a bunch of gameboy programming resources you could check out: https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/wiki/Assembly-programming

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    Thank you for your reply. The pokered decomp project is made almost entirely out of .asm files therefore the tutorial for pokeemerald is not compatible. I have also tried copying the tutorial for pokecrystal level caps but the games are too different. Are there any other tutorials that may help me that you know of?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you for your reply. The pokered decomp project is made almost entirely out of .asm files therefore the tutorial for pokeemerald is not compatible. I have also tried copying the tutorial for pokecrystal level caps but the games are too different. Are there any other tutorials that may help me that you know of?

I'm aware that the emerald tutorial is not compatible with pokered. I posted it to give a general idea of how such mechanic could be implemented.
    I didn't know there was a pokecrystal tutorial but that would definitely be more applicable than the emerald one, especially if you want a hard level cap.

If you can't find a tutorial for pokered, there likely isn't one and you will have to figure out what to modify by yourself or how to adapt the crystal tutorial for red. For that you should have at least a basic understanding of assembly.
    It seems that red has a MAX_LEVEL constant just like crystal. You could try replacing that with a variable like in the crystal tutorial.

Back