• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeSpe Scanlation attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    >_< Then I guess QC would be an easy job -- I'm sure we have very competent translators.

As for Japanese, I guess I could maybe first get started on Volume 22, and then when a real Japanese translator comes along, I could pass it to him/her. Just so we can get started. Wonder where I put that Japanese dictionary... hmm.

As a side note, are we naming this "scanlation group"? ^_____^

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Awesome, sound great! Thank a million, benji!

Haha, we need a name, don't we... ^^ Any suggestions, anyone?! "PokeSpe Scanlation attempt group!" just doesn't cut it =D

Also, guys, I've been hunting around; I found a Thai translator who has up to volume 19, wiling to translate! I need to give an estimate on how fast we plan to have releases (once we actually, you know, get into the swing of things); how does one chapter every 2 weeks sound? Too short, reasonable, or do you guys think we can do even better? ^^

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    Cool! That's great, minakichan! (Can I just call you minaki?)

I find the filenames of the scans for volume 22 very odd -- half of the files had "v22", and half didn't... after I renamed all the files with "v22" to match the others, I found a couple duplicates. There were only 68 images left from the original 73, and they don't seem to be in order. I think we should rename these files to something neat and simple, like "pkmnsp_v22_p1.jpg". Also, when we release the final scans, they'll probably be named something like "[name of group]-pkmnsp_v22_p1.jpg", right? I would rename them, but I have no real idea what order they're supposed to be in. (Most of the pages don't even have page numbers.) Sorry, I haven't looked up where these scans came from... it's pretty late here. Maybe I could figure it out from the order they posted the links in or something.

A chapter every two weeks sounds like a reasonable goal for now. We could probably do even better, since we would have, what, four translators working at the same time? (And plus, we probably won't be releasing sequentially (like, starting from volume 10). We could maybe release a chapter from each different arc every week, or something similar.)

Name? I dunno, something cutesy? Or something cool? I'm out of ideas, gotta catch some rest. See ya.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your earlier remark about not having sorted volume 22 yet. I can probably start working on the script tomorrow. I noticed somebody else on the PokeSpecial LJ wanted to translate volume 22.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Yeah, I really am not sure what the deal is with volume 22... I grabbed it from RubyNorman's post; I'm sorry, I should have warned you first! If you are confused about the order, the original images are in order at https://post.baidu.com/f?z=15074345...rowser&word=%C9%F1%C6%E6%B1%A6%B1%B4&pn=0#sub and https://post.baidu.com/f?z=15074345...stBrowser&word=%C9%F1%C6%E6%B1%A6%B1%B4&pn=50 (I think it was just a small section of one chapter that wasn't in the right place).

Haha, this project is so crazy! We just release completely random volumes! All right, I like your plan; I guess as a group we can probably do with about one chapter a week (seeing as we have so many people in different stations), but probably two weeks as a conservative estimate for the different arcs we're doing at each time.

=D

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
    Yeah, I really am not sure what the deal is with volume 22... I grabbed it from RubyNorman's post; I'm sorry, I should have warned you first! If you are confused about the order, the original images are in order at https://post.baidu.com/f?z=15074345...rowser&word=%C9%F1%C6%E6%B1%A6%B1%B4&pn=0#sub and https://post.baidu.com/f?z=15074345...stBrowser&word=%C9%F1%C6%E6%B1%A6%B1%B4&pn=50 (I think it was just a small section of one chapter that wasn't in the right place).

Haha, this project is so crazy! We just release completely random volumes! All right, I like your plan; I guess as a group we can probably do with about one chapter a week (seeing as we have so many people in different stations), but probably two weeks as a conservative estimate for the different arcs we're doing at each time.

=D

But these scans are not only sucky-quality, they are also INCOMPLETE. If we want to do Vol22, then I suggest rescanning.

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years

=D

>_< I agree, that would be kinda crazy.

But it wouldn't be fair for the silly little leechers if we withhold a chapter or volume because we're waiting to release the previous chapter or volume. (Although it would be more "professional", I suppose.)

But these scans are not only sucky-quality, they are also INCOMPLETE. If we want to do Vol22, then I suggest rescanning.

Hmm... I did find a couple missing pages. I can just figure out the order of the pages and start translating from those scans, though. We can edit the script onto some better raws.

EDIT: If we need someone to ask for scans, I notice hyorinmaru10 on on the Pokemon Special LJ had a copy of volume 22. (Although he might not want to scan his book -- people are very protective of their manga. ^^)

Last edited:

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
    Seems like an awesome project xD.

if you guys release volumes. try putting them in megaupload, rapidshare, 4shared.

because sendspace always cuts me off .

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    >< OK, the volume 22 scans do not seem that great. >_> We can definitely still work with them as an LQ release (we're all desparate!), but benji, it's up to you if you want to stick with them or not. The majority of it is still there, so I suppose it's still workable.

Also, since KazukiPP just provided volume 10 Chuang Yi scans (thank you so much!), we are going to go straight to volume 11 then! Obviously, kazukiPP, you don't need to clean volume 10 anymore; sorry if you've already done a lot of work on it ;__;.

Speaking of volume 11, Hyourinmaru10 on LJ is graciously working on translation! She originally was working on volume 10, but now we will go on to volume 11, as I've said. Yosh!

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    Seems like an awesome project xD.

if you guys release volumes. try putting them in megaupload, rapidshare, 4shared.

because sendspace always cuts me off .
    Thanks, man! I'm sure we'll be able to upload them to multiple sites.

>< OK, the volume 22 scans do not seem that great. >_> We can definitely still work with them as an LQ release (we're all desparate!), but benji, it's up to you if you want to stick with them or not. The majority of it is still there, so I suppose it's still workable.
    You know, the order was so horrible, I just decided to work from that Baidu post you sent me. The resolution isn't very good... I can't recognize some of the kanji. (I'm sure someone actually fluent in Japanese could probably infer the kanji from the context.)

Not sure what names to use, and whether to use Japanese suffixes, etc. For example, I'm guessing we're going with "Courtney" instead of "Kagari", and we're not attaching suffixes (e.g. "Courtney-san"), right? I believe you already stated we wouldn't be using the Chuang Yi names in an earlier post.

I'm also doing the SFX. Do you want them just romanized, like "zuruzuruzuru" or translated, like "SFX: Dragging" or "(dragging)"?

Do I only need to provide the bare basics (just the lines) or should I also describe the panels/arrangement/talk bubbles? That would greatly help the editors in figuring out what text goes where.

Sorry, so many questions, but I don't want to make a mistake. I'm currently doing chapter 262 (the first chapter in volume 22), but it might be odd for our first release to be in the middle of the Ruby/Sapphire saga -- not all people already know the entire story, you know. Maybe I should wait until somebody does volume 15. ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    @everyone: Hyourinmaru10 has translated the dialogue for chapters 130-131 (1-2 of volume 11)! I'm going to be out of the country for the next week, so I can't really coordinate it until I get back, but the translation is attached! KazukiPP is assigned to do the cleaning for volume 11, but I don't know the progress of that.

@kazukiPP: Speaking of which ^^ we're ready for editing! have you started on volume 11? If not, when do you think you can get around to it? Well, if you haven't started by the time I get back from my trip, I can take over a little for you (typesetting at the very least) until you have more time freed up or something ^^

@benji: I'm conducting a poll in another topic; we'll see how people's preferences are, and apply them. As for SFX, I think romanizing onomatopoeia makes sense (since "dragging" is not a sound ^^), but for non-onomatopoeia Japanese SFX like "niko," can you translate them into English (since "smile" does not actually make a sound)?
    As for the formatting, editors can probably figure out what's going on with just the lines, but if you think that including descriptions would be really helpful, and if it's not too much trouble, go ahead ^^ Thanks for all your hard work!

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    ^^ Thanks! For the SFX, I guess something like "whoosh" would make more sense, instead of "SFX: dragging (heavy object)". Most people wouldn't understand what "zuruzuruzuru" actually means, so I don't think we should use that. (Although I guess it all comes to our intended audience -- if we're aiming for total beginners, then it would make more sense to use "whoosh" or "boom" and english names, right? If our audience is all hardcore Pokemon Special fans, we can use japanese names and suffixes, as well as just simply romanizing the onomatopoeia/etc.)

Merry Christmas, all! ^______^

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
    Merry Christmas Eve XD.

Anyways I'm only good for cleaning scans like i did for my friends : /.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2009
    Looks like you guys have enough help, but if you still need it... I can't actually *translate* anything, but I have the Chuang Yi versions of all the volumes through 24 (still saving for 25), so if this would be OK, I could help edit by just adapting whatever the Chuang Yi version said...

Death_Machine

Metal Addict
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2013
    omg finnaly somebody is making a "Real" pokespe translation attempt... for korean translators, try searching on some korean forum. good luck guys.. rly

omni89

R.I.P. Toonami...
    Years
    Greetings

Hello everyone! First of all I would like to say that I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season wherever you may be. Second, I'm here to say that I've been following this forum for a few months and I that I was stoked to find a manga about Pokemon that does the series justice as far creating an engaging and interesting story; no offense to people who like the anime. When I saw that you all were starting a scanlation project I had just finished reading volume 9 (just read 10) and wanted to do whatever I could to make it happen. Unfortunately I lack the language and Photoshoping skills to help as far as editing and translating go, but I think there is one thing I could do. I am somewhat of a good writer and would be more than willing to look over the script (for lack of a better word) of each chapter and try to give it some extra zing while remaining faithful to the situations being portrayed and the names of people and places that everyone decides on; a touch of of english but remaining faithful to the source material so that to english speakers it could read smooth like "Harry Potter" if you get what I'm saying. That's just one of my ideas and if you guys/girls can think of anyway I can be of help to this project please feel free to let me know!

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2008
    Hey guys, back from my trip.

@omni89: That would be great. There's actually a position for that-- QC, or quality control-- which you can certainly help out with before we release. I can send you betas when scanlation drafts are done.

Because Kitori is going to post volumes 16-19 Chuang Yi, we're going to be dropping those; we'll focus on volumes 11-15, 20+.

Editors: can I get y'all's progress on anything? Right now we need priority scan cleaning on volume 11, please tell me if you can start on that. I am going to be AWOL (again) until January 11; have to work on a manga contest, after which I promise I'm going to get down to work cleaning and typesetting. Sorry for those of you looking forward to this; hopefully we can get a first release in a couple of weeks.

omni89

R.I.P. Toonami...
    Years
    Excellent, count me in mina (if you don't mind me calling you that)! Just let me know what you want done and when via email.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2008
    Hey Guys

I've been thinking for a while... and I want to join this project of Translating. I can speak/write fluent Korean as well as English so If u want, Mina you can upload pokemon manag in korean, I will download it and I might just translate it or even might use paint to type the words in myself. So yeh, count me in... as long as I get credit =P

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
    @Junky56: Great! She already posted links to a bunch of Korean volumes (see the bottom of page 1).

However, I think you should check with her first before doing any work, to make sure the volume you're translating isn't already being done by somebody else. ^^

(And I think "minaki-chan" is referring to the Japanese name of Eusine, am I correct?)

@minaki-chan: I might be getting volumes 25-27 (in Japanese -- yes, the emphasis is needed, to avoid being overrun by random people asking for scans), which haven't been released by Chuang Yi yet. I don't know about the other companies translating to Korean or Chinese, but it might be cool if we can do those volumes first. Just a thought. ^^

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
    @minaki-chan: I might be getting volumes 25-27 (in Japanese -- yes, the emphasis is needed, to avoid being overrun by random people asking for scans), which haven't been released by Chuang Yi yet. I don't know about the other companies translating to Korean or Chinese, but it might be cool if we can do those volumes first. Just a thought. ^^

Yes, It would be cool. Scan Japanese if you can.

Every readable (referring to quality, not language) scan is like a gold for us.

Thanks in advance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back