• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeSpecial Rant

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    EDIT: If you bother to read what I've written below, please read the other posts as well. Someone may/probably has already addressed one of the points I made. Thank you.

I really like the manga a lot. And I agree that the violence makes it seem more realistic. There's a great plot that doesn't seem to exist in the anime, and they aren't flat in personality. I find it awesomr how the Pokemon aren't limited to existing attacks and know more than four moves (I'm pretty sure you don't need to make your dog forget how to sit in order to make roll over).

There are things, however, that really bug me. The elite Four are portrayed a evil people who hate humans and are for the ruling of Pokemon. Since when? I hated how Lance was basically evil instead of the really cool champion.

Green is the "mysterious quiet type." As smexy as I find it, he isn't the adorably obnoxious kid he's supposed to be. Most ten year olds I see don't act like that. What ever happened to, "Smell ya' later!?" I also how they portrayed Pryce. He was an awesome gym leader who ended ups as a selfish guy who kidnapped kids. I mean I understand that he wanted his two Lapras back, but why kidnap children?
    Yellow is another thing that bugs me. I'm fine with Yellow's character; she's cute. I'm even fine with her being a girl, but the fact the she's almost canonically shipped with Red bugs me. They are technically the same person in the game. Why in the world would you want to be paired with yourself from a parallel universe. This goes for other hero/heroine ships (mostly mangaquest). I think the best way for them to coexist would be siblings. I'm not as mad at the new gen ships because they actually meet each other in the games and have separate families.

Why were the badges used to summon Lugia? I mean, why give them out if you lost? I'm pretty sure that other who had beaten gym leaders were given badges too, so wouldn't summoning Lugia be even easier with those many badges. Why were the some of the Gym leaders evil? Why would they give you a badge if they were?

From what I have read of the RS arc, why did Sapphire have the weaker Pokemon when she was the main rival?

I've only read up to the GSC arcand a little of the RS arc, but I do know about other important parts of the manga like Silver and his father. I know a lot you may hate me for disliking the aforementioned things, but it breaks from what was supposed to happen in the games.

So now that I'm done with my rant, I wanna hear your opinions. What did you find wrong with the manga? Why are some of the things mentioned above okay despite being against the game and really clarify. Why did it change large aspects that happened in the game?

If you're mad enough to flame me go right ahead. I will use them to roast marshmallows and for lols.

Last edited:

Cyan Goggles

Be-Goggled Wanderer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    xD !

For some reason, I laughed at this. Not in a mean condescending way!
    Just because you're right. xD Some things I agree with, some I don't, but everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I thank you for stating yours maturely. :3

Any beefs I really I have with the manga, I brush off, because I'm like that, but one thing that always really bugged me is that none of the main characters have any level one hundred pokemon. I can get the younger kids, but... the oldest are 16 are they? Why don't they have a single pokemon up there, especially with all that training they claim to be doing? I dunno. Just bugs me that after 6 or so years that can't mange that. xD;

Also, the marshmallow comment at the end... gold. Pure gold. xD

hoennshipperxxx

pokémonmaster in training
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    invisible i agree with you but none of these things bother me :P
    and what do you mean with sapphire having weaker pokemon?

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    Maybe it's because Ruby started with a Water type, Mudkip, and Sapphire has the Fire Type, Torchic.
    Well, the thing is, Ruby would be the player character and Sapphire would be the rival if this were the game. Norman is Ruby's father and Prof. Birch is Sapphire's father, thus supporting this fact. Now because this is true, Sapphire should have the starter with the upper hand, no matter what type. For Example: Red w/Bulbasaur and Green w/Charmander and Gold w/Cyndiquil and Silver w/Totodile. Sapphire should have a Pokemon superior element wise to Ruby if this trend were to continue, but she doesn't. This is what I am questioning.

Cyan Goggles

Be-Goggled Wanderer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    I think it was symbolism, because we found out Ruby was so much stronger then he was letting anyone know. I think maybe him having the elemental upper hand was a hint to his battling superiority.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    I think it was symbolism, because we found out Ruby was so much stronger then he was letting anyone know. I think maybe him having the elemental upper hand was a hint to his battling superiority.
    That sounds reasonable. And after thinking about, Wally/Emerald is shown to be the rival and Sapphire the third member who's Pokemon beat's the rivals ie: Crystal, Blue, Berlitz.

Cyan Goggles

Be-Goggled Wanderer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Ha-ha, Well, not so much the third person as the girl out of the three, right?

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
    I meant that she was supposed to be the rival character, and yet, she had the weaker starter. I didn't get that.

Techneclly Sapphire shouldn't be considered a rival character just because Ruby was introduced 1st so they both should be considered a player and rival.

Well, the thing is, Ruby would be the player character and Sapphire would be the rival if this were the game. Norman is Ruby's father and Prof. Birch is Sapphire's father, thus supporting this fact. Now because this is true, Sapphire should have the starter with the upper hand, no matter what type. For Example: Red w/Bulbasaur and Green w/Charmander and Gold w/Cyndiquil and Silver w/Totodile. Sapphire should have a Pokemon superior element wise to Ruby if this trend were to continue, but she doesn't. This is what I am questioning.

Well this isn't the game this is the manga sooooo things don't have to be the same if everything were the same the manga would get oh I don't know boring.

That sounds reasonable. And after thinking about, Wally/Emerald is shown to be the rival and Sapphire the third member who's Pokemon beat's the rivals ie: Crystal, Blue, Berlitz.

Wally is not I repeat is not Emerald that was the original plan but they had already introduced him as a minor character with a small roll. Then Emerald version came out an they, the writer, decided to make him an Emerald-like character ,but since having a minor roll that wasn't enough so the writer decided to make a new character named Emerald. Bottem line Wally is not Emerald.

Sapphire isn't the third charecter she is the 9th total and the 2nd for the RS arc.

Cyan Goggles

Be-Goggled Wanderer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    She never said Wally was Emerald. She said "/" meaning and/or.

And she ment the third character in terms of the whole grouping. Like "Red, Green, Blue" "Gold, Silver, Crystal"

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
    Red starting out with bulbasaur, then in the end of FR/LG he has a charizard and green has Venasaur

Fire Red
    Leaf Green

Years
    Hey...Hey...

Well this isn't the game this is the manga sooooo things don't have to be the same if everything were the same the manga would get oh I don't know boring.

I was going to make that point too! I mean don't bash the PokeSpe since the anime is waaayyy(x10) more different from the game than PokeSpe.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    Techneclly Sapphire shouldn't be considered a rival character just because Ruby was introduced 1st so they both should be considered a player and rival.
    Already addressed.

I'm not saying that it has to be the same, I just miss certain aspects of the plot which were removed. Besides, Pokemon Zenshou, I think it was, was closer to the game, but was still great. Now I'm not saying that PokeSpecial needs to change its ways, just questioning the plot.

Wally is not I repeat is not Emerald that was the original plan but they had already introduced him as a minor character with a small roll. Then Emerald version came out an they, the writer, decided to make him an Emerald-like character ,but since having a minor roll that wasn't enough so the writer decided to make a new character named Emerald. Bottem line Wally is not Emerald.
    Cyan already addressed this for me.

Sapphire isn't the third charecter she is the 9th total and the 2nd for the RS arc.
    I don't mean it that way. Cyan also addressed this as she's the girl of the main character trio. Her starter is weaker than the hero and stronger than the rival.

I was going to make that point too! I mean don't bash the PokeSpe since the anime is waaayyy(x10) more different from the game than PokeSpe.
    I'm not bashing. I said earlier that I really like the manga. I'm stating, calmly and clearly, the things that I don't agree with in the manga. I've given up on the anime for a while now so anything that has happened past Misty leaving, I know little about, besides Dawn, May, and other characters.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2009
    Sometimes I do wish that they could keep certain things more like the games, particularly the characterization. But, for the most part, I'm happy with the way PokeSpecial is. Not quite the games, but still enough like the games to make me nostalgic over reading GSC... (my favorite games ever) and such...

I never thought about the "parellel self shipping" thingy before... o_0

Years
    All right, here are some nice points I was waiting for someone to point out! Myself, I had noticed them while reading Pokespe. It took me a while, but I found a nice explaination for pretty much everything. :) Despite the fact that I agree with some of your arguements, there are still some things I am not for, so I will post with my opinions. :P

The elite Four are portrayed a evil people who hate humans and are for the ruling of Pokemon. Since when? I hated how Lance was basically evil instead of the really cool champion.

As true as this is, that Elite Four somehow had their position changed, it does not necessarily mean that their role is completely different. For example, although I'm not sure if it is mentioned on the first sagas, the name "Elite Four" remains still, and they are still considered four of the most powerful trainers that exist. Their appearence in Pokemon Special is quite different, considering that they are not officially part of the League at first, as they appear to be in the games, however, they are just as interesting, and give the exact same feeling. I believe that the Manga writers wanted to give them a little background story, and I'm sure that they did that in a perfect way.

So, although not part of the Pokemon League, they are still the "Elite Four," and are still four of the best Trainers. I don't see what the problem is. Not to mention that they are neither exactly evil nor do they despise humans, at least later. True, their appearence in Yellow Saga could be less on the edge, but if you read later chapters, you will find out that Elite Four are not exactly one sort of thing; they are developed differently every time, on an interesting way too, yet they still are the Elite Four we all know. I could explain to you what I mean, but I don't think you would like to have the story spoiled. :P

Green is the "mysterious quiet type." As smexy as I find it, he isn't the adorably obnoxious kid he's supposed to be. Most ten year olds I see don't act like that. What ever happened to, "Smell ya' later!?" I also how they portrayed Pryce. He was an awesome gym leader who ended ups as a selfish guy who kidnapped kids. I mean I understand that he wanted his two lapras back, but why kidnap children?
    Yellow is another thing that bugs me. I'm fine with Yellow's character; she's cute. I'm even fine with her being a girl, but the fact the she's almost canonically shipped with Red bugs me. They are technically the same person in the game. Why in the world would you want to be paired with yourself from a parallel universe. This goes for other hero/heroine ships (mostly mangaquest). I think the best way for them to coexist would be siblings. I'm not as mad at the new gen ships because they actually meet each other in the games and have separate families.

At first, I also believed that Green's role was changed a lot, but in the end, I was wrong. In Pokemon Special, although being the "mysterious quite type," at first he is pretty much the bully and the badass he is supposed to be. Remember the VS Kangaskahn chapter? If Red wasn't there, Green would probably have killed the baby Kangaskahn. Furthermore, it has been stated that the two had different ways of training their Pokemon, with Green not caring about his Pokemon's feelings, and thinking of them as fighting machines in the first chapters. As for his relation with Red, well, we don't have a lot about their background pasts, so we wouldn't know if they knew each other when they were kids. So, being still the cocky and arrogant guy, Green's character is developed so that it woud collide with the respective one in the game; if there is anything different in him, it is in the first chapters. Also, the "Smell ya later!" was probably cut due to translation differences between games. :P I suppose that we can still have it in our minds! ;)

Moving to Pryce, it is true that what appears to be the Mask of Ice, is something that never appeared in the games. However, don't forget that Team Rocket's actions on that time, could be adapted into this. The scenario of Pokemon Special would be one scenario that could in fact be present in the game too without changing a thing. Pryce is still the mysterious guy that could be anyone with nobody knowing. And the kidnap of children was a nice way of connecting a lot of things. Like Blue with Silver, as well as Karen with Will, who could be having some sort of relationship, hence the similar scheme they share. In the end, I would say that this outcome was a plot twist. Also, this is an example of a nice way of Elite Four formation, if you want my opinion. :P

If had to describe the situation with Yellow, I would use the exactly same verb; "bugs me." Interesting to note that I believe the same things about Yellow! :O I believe that she could be Red's "lost" sister, considering that they share so many similarities that it would take years to make a list. On a side note, they are far from canonically shipped in the manga either. They are mostly like Blue and Silver. Meaning that there is still a certain people number that believe they could make a couple, although their relationship is mostly siblings-like. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. I would say that if there is one shipping I would like, that would be Red with Blue, judging from their actions in later chapters. The couple-like similarities they share are just so apparent, so clear, that I am sure that anyone who has read some of the FireRed and LeafGreen Chapter can't think differently. :P On a side note, they both at from the game, and are put together in a lot of fan-made media.

Also, what you say about game characters being siblings if they do not have indifferent in-game roles otherwise, I do not agree with. Blue's appearence was perfect in my opinion. It COMPLETELY reflected her being absent from the Generation I games, considering that her goal and role was different. It was like the writers predected Silver and the remakes of Generation I games! Also, judging from Volume 23, which I've read, her appearence in FireRed and LeafGreen Saga, is so perfect, that I can't even believe how the manga writers developed her character so much! As for Crystal, well, she also bears one great role. Appearing later reflected that she wasn't exactly a character that primarily appeared in the Games. Also, the role she holded, completing the Pokedex, fully adapted the games' features for capturing Pokemon, a thing that wasn't able to be accomplished by Gold himself, since he was supposed to follow the main plot events. Her appearence later, along with Gold and Silver was also well-made. ;)

Why were the badges used to summon Lugia? I mean, why give them out if you lost? I'm pretty sure that other who had beaten gym leaders were given badges too, so Wouldn't summoning Lugia be even easier with those many badges. Why were the some of the Gym leaders evil? Why would they give you a badge if they were?

Budges summoning Lugia was a Deus Ex Machina to give a nice plot twist with Team Rocket. I believe that it wasn't a bad event at all. And summoning Lugia with the Badges wasn't a known fact, so not really everyone could have done so. Gym Leaders being "evil" is also one of the best aspects in the RGB Saga of Pokemon Special, in my opinion. To begin with, they were not completely unbased. Giovanni, himself the boss of Team Rocket, but still a Gym Leader is an explaination that can be given. Furthermore, take Blaine; his background past is completely unknown, but his involvement in the creation of Mewtwo is clear as day. Take his appearence, being a Scientist, for example. And as we all know, that Team Rocket's relationship to the events in the Pokemon Mansion are not really minor. So, you could say that even in the Games, Blaine could be supposed to be related to Team Rocket. Lt. Surge might not exactly be the apparent Team Rocket member, but his badass personality, along with his actions and speech could have him be one. Same goes to the mysterious Sabrina. As for the reason they were giving out their badges, well, they weren't supposed to be known as Team Rocket members. ;)

From what I have read of the RS arc, why did Sapphire have the weaker Pokemon when she was the main rival?

Starter Pokemon in Special are not chosen by the rock-paper-scisor rule, but by official character arts that has trainers along with their Pokemon, as well as what Pokemon fits to each trainer. If I recall correctly, the then Sugimori arts, had Ruby using a Mudkip, and Sapphire using a Torchic. Of course, while time passed by, both of them appeared with all of the starters, but heck, I believe that Mudkip fits Ruby, and Torchic to Sapphire! This is also a way to say that it is not like Ruby is the Player character, but both are. :P Same applies with the Red's, Green's and Blue's starter Pokemon. What I want to see however, is Red getting a Charizard! Of course it wouldn't be necessarily trading with Green, as their bonds with their starter Pokemon are tight, but I'm sure that other Charmanders exist! What would I give to see Red in the GS Remakes having an additional role and using a Charizard only out of the starters! That would be enough to give him a Charizard in the manga adaption of GSDS. :P

All in all, I believe that Pokemon Special is not only a great adaption of the games, but also an interesting one. It follows pretty much the events, while it adds elements that makes you loose no interest. Any changed that can be claimed to exist is not unexplained. If you seek it deeply, you will surely find a nice reason for something to happen. As for additional things to the plot, personally, they are welcome to me, as they are ALWAYS things that could happen on the game itself, and are not unbased! :) The small details of Pokemon Special are what makes it not only a great Pokemon Manga, but a nice Manga itself. Although based on the game, it is fresh, new, interesting, and unforeseeable! ;)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that felt them as something completely new, even after playing the games more than once. :P

manganohime

Manga Addict
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2009
    xD !

Any beefs I really I have with the manga, I brush off, because I'm like that, but one thing that always really bugged me is that none of the main characters have any level one hundred pokemon. I can get the younger kids, but... the oldest are 16 are they? Why don't they have a single pokemon up there, especially with all that training they claim to be doing? I dunno. Just bugs me that after 6 or so years that can't mange that. xD;

Yeah, six years is a long time... my brother hasn't had his game for even a year and he has his Charizard at level 100...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm fine with Yellow's character; she's cute. I'm even fine with her being a girl, but the fact the she's almost canonically shipped with Red bugs me.

I'd like to make note that just because the writers have portrayed SpecialShipping to be pretty close to canon, it doesn't mean it will become so. I love SpecialShipping, personally, but you know what else there is? Jade, Viridian, Granted, Amber, Feeling, Health, and many more that can become canon. Some of those I've listed already have evidence. Ho hum.

chamo-chan

Plush maker :U
    Years
    I'd like to make note that just because the writers have portrayed SpecialShipping to be pretty close to canon, it doesn't mean it will become so. I love SpecialShipping, personally, but you know what else there is? Jade, Viridian, Granted, Amber, Feeling, Health, and many more that can become canon. Some of those I've listed already have evidence. Ho hum.

I agree with Splatty.
    Even though there are alot of supposed Special Shipping hints, it doesn't mean that it will become canon. (Trust me, I've dealt with some overly obssesed special shippers who think that Special Shipping is canon.....)

Back