• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokethlon vs. Contests?

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
    Whice one do you like better? I personally am glad to get rid of Contests. They were okay, but snowball fights and sumo wrestling is much better.

Please discuss, and if this thread already exists, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't see one like it, sooo...

Years
    well, we dont know much about them, but i would say Pokethelon. they are just so much more interactive. Contests were basically like really boring battles =/

CONTESTS HAVE JUST BEEN GAGA'D

damn, you guys need to head over to the Other Chat section if you want to understand that x3

Olliee

Spreading the Pokerus. PM me
    Years
    I am personally a contest boff :P

I hope that this Pokeatholon (sp) thingyy will outshine my expectations.

Olliee

Years
    Do we win ribbons and such.
    Collecting as many ribbons as possible was always something I adored.
    I gave your pokemon a personal touch.

I noticed the accessories are back. Are we sure there is no contests?

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    For me, Contests were boring.
    And repetitive as I only had 2 moves that were 'cute'

im looking forward to this. It's kind of like the Pokemon Stadium mini games!

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
    Do we win ribbons and such.
    Collecting as many ribbons as possible was always something I adored.
    I gave your pokemon a personal touch.

I noticed the accessories are back. Are we sure there is no contests?

If contests are back, Nintendo/Gamefreak are keeping a VERY tight lid on them. Serebii said that the Pokethlon was taking over the contests, but I may have just read it wrong.

But I hope/think that we'll get ribbons, otherwise why would we do them (besides they look really fun)?

Olliee

Years
    I am certain I read about accessories.

Although the contests are repetitive, they are still a huge part of the Anime and I dont think they would abandon such a large part.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    I cannot like an event based on what was said in the previews and there could be more to the Pokethlon than meets the eyes. Though the Pokethlon does sounds interesting I am not going to prejudge it based on what I saw in a preview. I am going to wait until I can actually experience it and then say whether I like or dislike them over constests.

If contests are back, Nintendo/Gamefreak are keeping a VERY tight lid on them. Serebii said that the Pokethlon was taking over the contests, but I may have just read it wrong.
    None of the fansites' webmasters or webmistresses have insight to Gamefreak ongoing projects and are probably are using an hypothesis based off the fact that the Pokethlon is set up in a similar conjuction just like the constest. Even if constests are not in HGSS it does not mean that they will not appear in future generation games.

Last edited:

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
    I cannot like an event based on what was said in the previews and there could be more to the Pokethlon than meets the eyes. Though the Pokethlon does sounds interesting I am not going to prejudge it based on what I saw in a preview. I am going to wait until I can actually experience it and then say whether I like or dislike them over constests.

None of the fansite webmasters or webmistresses have insight to Gamefreak ongoing projects and are probably are using an hypothesis based off the fact that the Pokethlon is set up in a similar conjuction just like the constest. Even if constests are not in HGSS it does not mean that they will not appear in future generation games.

It's not set up like the contests though. They're just like mini games to play for fun. You select two categories, and you get a game. Ex. Speed, Power = mini game that requires both of those.

Safo

General Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2009
    I would like to have both.
    I like doing contests when I'm bored.
    Yet doing something like the Pokethon.
    That just seems awesome.

So I'm pretty much neutral.

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    It depends where.

In Hoenn = Contests are really fun since you can do chain moves more hearts,

But Sinnoh = I don't really like how they didn't include chain moves... But I like the other 2 catagories.

But I guess the Pokelthon will be a new experience :)

Sora267

Teh Epic Awesomesauce0rz
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2009
    Personally, I'm more interested in the Pokeathlon simply because it's something different.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
    The Pokethlon wins hands down for me. Somehow I can't help but love the idea of a sumo wrestling Rattata. XD

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Well to be honest, I'm dubious about the Pokéthlon. I really like contests (albeit not so much the Gen IV ones) but if they manage to pull this off well it could be quite good. But for the moment I think I prefer contests (Gen III>Gen IV).
    Of course it could be (hopefully) both will be included, I mean they haven't shown us much, if any of Kanto yet, so if the contest hall(s) isn't in Johto it could be there.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
    I like the new concept of the pokethlon as it is different and I don't really like contests, to hard to progress in ranks (refers to r/s/e), and which made me not want to play them in D/P/PT. ANyway the idea of pokemon in contest with each other sounds interesting.

Back