• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokethon to replace contests?

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    In the anime there are also contests in Johto (May travelled to Johto because of the contests, right?).
    Anyway, I bet they just didn't expect that contests in the games would be a BIG fail, so it doesn't surprise me that they are replacing it, for fun stuff.

23usernamebob

GucciBoy347
    Years
    well the contest may be in jhoto
    remember may is in jhoto doing contest but i hope not...
    i do want hoenn to be in one of the games though =P

Years
    On the show they had contests in Kanto even though there weren't any in FrLg. So, the show having Johto contests doesn't mean that they'll be in HGSS.

I hope the Pokethon doesn't fully replace contests. Why can't they have both in the game?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    That would be cool, The Pokethon looks fuuunnn :D
    i wouldn't mind though if they replaced contests, i like contests, but not a whole lot

who says there can't be both? as long as the game doesn't explode from so many features im good :3

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
    I'm pretty neutral on the idea of contests in these games. I enjoyed the contests in R/S/E, but the changes in the 4th gen with the dressing up and dancing didn't really appeal to me. I think the Pokethon might be an interesting alternative to contests in these games, but who knows, we may see contests return after beating the Elite Four? I dunno, just speculation. But I would feel bad if they completely eliminated contests because I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy them.

Ayselipera

I would like to see these features replace the contests. I really hate contests.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
    Maybe we'll have both, I certainly wouldn't mind that. Afterall, they can't just get rid of it completely of them, it's need for Feebas and some people actually like it.

But concerning contests, I hope they go back to regular contest, maybe even add in a contest battle like the anime. Sinnoh's super contest was a real turn off for me.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    But for me pokemon contests really need to be improved.

Same here. They just seem so...weird and unlike the show. I don't watch much, but I don't remember dancing ever being involved in them. Just like the contest battles and stuff...

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    It will definetely be the new Pokemon Contest:
    The Pokethlon comes with five different courses, each based on the speed, power, technique, stamina, and jump stats. Each course is made up of three races.
    Taken from Pokebeach. Come on now a bit too simmilar if you ask me.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    I never really have cared for the contests, so it wouldn't bother me if they completely replaced contests with the pokeathlon. However, why would they do that after all this time with contests (since Ruby and Sapphire?). That would get some contest enthusiasts really upset if they took out the contests! I think they should just add the pokeathlon, and keep the contests in, too.

What's a Pokethon? I honestly don't know what that is.

The pokeathlon will be introduced in HeartGold and SoulSilver. It's a little competition where you can enter your pokemon and be judged on things like stamina and jump points. There's a few different competitions you can do. ^_^

Last edited:

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    All I can currently say right now is, since the games aren't out yet, is that the Pokeathlon likes some what more exciting and interesting than the contests.

R/S/E's contest got very boring after a while, since you were going up against the same people all the time. D/P/Pt didn't really expand on this as far as I can tell (I barely used it in Diamond or Platinum), so I'll be glad to see it either gone or pushed to the side.

And sometimes it promotes really boring anime eps, I prefer Gym battles over contests :P

Years
    I don't see why there can't just be both. I finally start to like contests, and now people want to get rid of them? (I didn't like Hoenn contests, but I really liked the Sinnoh contests.) Maybe if you were able to design costumes for them instead of placing just accessories on them, that'd be better. I like the idea of the Pokethon, too, but I wouldn't want contests to go away completely, just add new things to it.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    So are "speed, power, technique, stamina, and jump" the new "beauty, cool, smart, cute and tough"?

I wonder if the game will have anything like pokeblocks or poffins (or their own?) to raise your pokethlon stats...

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    So are "speed, power, technique, stamina, and jump" the new "beauty, cool, smart, cute and tough"?

I wonder if the game will have anything like pokeblocks or poffins (or their own?) to raise your pokethlon stats...
    Well it seems so. We don't know too much but each stat gets its own course and such.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    I wouldn't mind because I really damn hated the contests on DPPt, but just to remind you, if the games have ANY relation to the Anime, the contests probably will be in, i'm pretty sure May went to Johto for extra-contests back in the day.

Back