• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokémon Yellow: Cramorant Edition

Cram-o-dev

Bird Dude
Years
  • Greetings and good day all! I'm proud to present a new and complete character swap hack for Pokemon Yellow!

Pokémon Yellow: Cramorant Edition

Pokémon Yellow: Cramorant Edition replaces the following Pikachu with Cramorant! All associated sprites, graphics, text, and sounds for Pikachu have also been edited to represent Cramorant! Many major and minor changes have also been made to create (in my opinion) an overall better way to play Yellow, and by extension, the Generation I games. The goal of this project is to provide a fun and different way to play Yellow while adding more variety to the game, all while staying mostly true to the Generation I experience. This ROM hack was created using the Pokemon Yellow disassembly as a base.

Features include:
    - Pikachu's Beach minigame is now Cramorant's Beach. As long as Cramorant knows Surf, you can play it!
    - New exclusive battle move added for Cramorant.
    - Many wild and Trainer Pokemon have had their levels raised slightly in an effort to provide more of a challenge.
    - Extra Pokemon. Cramorant and 2 others have been added which brings the total amount to 154.
    - Extra battles. A few additional trainers have been added.
    - Better trainer and wild Pokemon variety. Several Pokemon that were unused by trainers and couldn't be encountered in the wild are now present.
    - All 151+ Pokemon are obtainable in-game without trading or glitches, and can be infinitely encountered.
    - More items are present and can be obtained such as Safari Balls outside the Safari Zone.
    - Tons of hidden items scattered throughout.
    - A few extra maps have been included, some existing maps have been edited to improve navigability or appearance, and a few extra post-game buildings have been added.
    - Some beta and unused content has been included. Unused music (like Giovanni's theme) as well as some unused graphics and text have been added. A few music tracks have also been replaced by songs adapted from the Generation II games.
    - Super Game Boy compatible. Comes with its own set of palettes and unique border.
    - Various bugs in original Yellow have been fixed and some awkward grammar has been cleaned up.
    - Many more minor changes and additional features have been made to provide a better user experience.

Github repo and additional info:
    https://github.com/Cram-o-dev/cramorantedition

Credits:
    Programming, map design, text, music, sprites, graphics, bug testing by Cram-o-dev.
    Special thanks to Vortyne for code used from Pokemon PureRGB.
    Special thanks to FrenchOrange for some artwork touch-ups.
    Special thanks to RainbowMetalPigeon for valuable feedback and suggestions.
    Special thanks to Xillicis, JustRegularLuna, and PlagueVonKarma for tutorials and code used from the pokered and pokeyellow wikis.
    Special thanks to pret for the Yellow disassembly and the pret discord community for help and assistance.

Screenshots:

Download:

Attachments

• pokecram.bps
      211.1 KB · Views: 46

Cram-o-dev

Bird Dude
    Years
  • An updated patch. Fixes a few minor bugs involving the Super Rod, Game Corner, and some graphics.

Attachments

• pokecram.bps
      211.3 KB · Views: 15
    Years
  • got a chance to play this and it's great.

one bug/glitch (or oversight) that I encountered in the old & current versions of cramorant edition is that the pokedoll can be used on the ghost marowak in pokemon tower to gain access to the final upper floor of the pokemon tower (aka. ghost marowak bypassing), regardless of whether the silph scope was obtained or not.
    occurs in original red, blue & yellow gen 1 games. doesn't occur or fixed in shin pokemon, where the pokedoll can't be used during the ghost marowak battle there

edit: another bug I found - the Itemfinder believes or thinks there's a hidden item at this spot on Route 10 next to the entrance of Rock Tunnel as seen on this attached pic

but there is no actual hidden item there.

Last edited:

Cram-o-dev

Bird Dude
    Years
  • Been busy working on an update for Cramorant Edition which will fix some more bugs present in Gen 1 and add a few more minor features.

The Pokedoll glitch is pretty famous and I don't have plans to fix it. If the player wants to skip doing the Rocket Hideout, I'll let them.
    I will fix the broken hidden item on Route 10 though, thanks for letting me know erpster8.

Years
  • ok.

a 1.2 release was available on the github page in late August, as well as on the RH site

bad news; I could not carry over my save file from the 1.1 version to the 1.2 version. loading v1.2 of the game with a save file created from the previous 1.1 version results in "the file data is destroyed" message when starting up the new version, which is pretty disappointing 😟 😟 🙁. it feels like I have to start over from scratch in the new 1.2 version since there was no warning or notice about this on the github page whether or not game saves from older versions would be compatible with the new version (and I've already completed/finished the game in the 1.1 version with all pokedex entries filled up...aaawwwwwww ☹️ )

Last edited:
    Years
  • edit: another bug I found - the Itemfinder believes or thinks there's a hidden item at this spot on Route 10 next to the entrance of Rock Tunnel as seen on this attached pic

View attachment 106463

but there is no actual hidden item there.

a follow up on this. there was a hidden super potion that I found nearby though at a different spot but the itemfinder cannot actually detect or find it at this location as seen in the pic below

this is similar to the "broken hidden items" bug in the original japanese red/green games

this problem occurred in the 1.1 version and even in the 1.2 version of cramorant edition as well as the Itemfinder still "believes" or "thinks" there is still a hidden item right near the entrance of rock tunnel (yup itemfinder keeps "beeping" there) , but there is no actual hidden item found right next to the rock tunnel entrance.

Last edited:
    Years
  • another minor issue found in cramorant edition - players could possibly get stuck in a certain area on the 3rd floor of the pokemon mansion in cinnabar island if the player does not have an escape rope or a pokemon with dig as a field move to escape.

a youtube video demonstration on how to get "stuck" in that area of the pokemon mansion on cinnabar island (occurs in original red, blue & yellow)

perhaps make the minor change from this:

to something like this from this guy's yellow 151 hack:

the minor layout change on the 3rd floor of the pokemon mansion is also included in the latest versions of shin pokemon as well

Years
  • another minor issue found in cramorant edition - players could possibly get stuck in a certain area on the 3rd floor of the pokemon mansion in cinnabar island if the player does not have an escape rope or a pokemon with dig as a field move to escape.

a youtube video demonstration on how to get "stuck" in that area of the pokemon mansion on cinnabar island (occurs in original red, blue & yellow)

perhaps make the minor change from this:

to something like this from this guy's yellow 151 hack:

the minor layout change on the 3rd floor of the pokemon mansion is also included in the latest versions of shin pokemon as well

unfortunately, this is NOT fixed in the 1.3 version, which is kinda disappointing

though on the plus side, any game saves created in the 1.2 version will work in the 1.3 version as I've tested & checked myself.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Don't know if anyone will be reading this, but is there a place to train pokemon for Sabrina and Koga? Both of them have very high leveled pokemon while mine are severely underleveled. I have beaten every trainer that I can get to in this part of the game and the wild pokemon are too low level to get much exp. Any tips?

Years
  • Don't know if anyone will be reading this, but is there a place to train pokemon for Sabrina and Koga? Both of them have very high leveled pokemon while mine are severely underleveled. I have beaten every trainer that I can get to in this part of the game and the wild pokemon are too low level to get much exp. Any tips?

what kind of pokemon are you using? are they the right kind that have at least one move that are super effective against Koga and Sabrina?

for both Koga & Sabrina, I keep training my Dugtrio until it reaches high level 40s (between 46 to 49) in either pokemon tower or diglett's cave (though it takes a while) and then keep using Dugtrio's "dig" or earthquake attack to beat all of Sabrina's pokemon fairly easily; Dugtrio learns earthquake on its own at lvl 47. dig and earthquake moves are both "super effective" against all of Koga's pokemon, which are all poison type.

btw, new version 1.4 of the Cramorant game was released near end of February 2024. though it still didn't fix the problem in the 3rd floor of the pokemon mansion, it did however fix a crucial problem where the cd player item could not be obtained in the 1.3 release after beating the elite 4 & champion rival.

Days
    • Seen today
    While playing version 1.4, I encountered this glitch with Alakazam. Is there anyway to avoid it or will I have to stop using Alakazam? :(

Edit: I saved before this glitch happen and it seemed to only happen with a recently evolved Alakazam that fought the girl on the right of Erika. Outside of that this has not happened again.

Attachments

• Pokémon Yellow: Cramorant Edition
      IMG_2048.png
      43.1 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:
    Back