• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Political Poll USA: Should Marijuana be legal?

Should Marijuana be Legal in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Yes, but controlled

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Never!

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    Marijuana should absolutely be legalized. There are so many prescription drugs that are legal by the FDA that have much worse side effects, and cause death. Take for example, the common migraine medication, Imitrex.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it clearly states that "Very rarely, certain people, even some without heart disease, have had serious heart-related problems when taking IMITREX".

This website lists these as common side effects:
    "Burning, numbness, or tingling of the skin; dizziness; drowsiness; feeling of heaviness, pressure, or tightness; feeling strange; mild, temporary flushing; muscle aches; nausea; neck stiffness; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; sick feeling; throat or sinus discomfort; tight feeling in the head; tingling; tiredness; vomiting; warm/hot sensation; weakness."

The same website also lists these as less common severe side effects:
    "Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; chest pain; confusion; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; hearing problems; numbness or tingling of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; pain, tightness, or pressure in the jaw, neck, or chest; seizures; severe headache, dizziness, or vomiting; severe or prolonged flushing; severe stomach pain; shortness of breath; speech changes; very cold or blue fingers or toes; vision changes or loss of vision; wheezing."

This information is for the Imitrex injections, however, if you scroll down the page, the side effects for both the spray and the tablets are similar.

Anecdotal evidence has supported the fact that marijuana is an effective medication for the pain and nausea associated with migraines, so much so that research has taken place to study the effects closer.

However, the fact of the matter is, medical marijuana will never be legalized at the federal level, since it doesn't make pharmaceutical companies any money. The pharmaceutical lobby is incredibly powerful. In the 2008 election, according to this website, our President Barack Obama received over $1 million, out of the nearly $29 million they contributed to various campaigns that year.

In any case, that's how I feel about marijuana. I'm sure you can also guess how I feel about pharmaceutical companies. :cheeky:

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    Yes, most my friends are potheads their so darn mellow.

No, that's a stupid thing to say and you should get new friends.

Marijuana impairs, maybe not as much as alcohol, but it does. I do NOT want to treat people who are high as regular people walking down the street. It's stupid. NO ONE needs marijuana to help themselves and feel better about their life. It's wrong and ridiculous, there is no legit argument that people who are high on marijuana should be able to walk into stores and general public places just because it's legal to abuse the drug, regardless of how many gangs or drug dealers or whatEVER might decrease slightly because of it. That doesn't at all mean people are going to use it less. We're not going to have a perfect world, but the legalization of more drugs isn't going to bring us closer to it.

Stupid. In addition, I agree with the earlier statement that we definitely don't need more impaired drivers. Get lives folks. Play some sports, join a band, be creative and do well in school because resorting to trying to make marijuana legal is just a waste of time. Under extreme cases, even with that said, I might do some research and look into how using marijuana for strict medical purposes might be beneficial.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    No, that's a stupid thing to say and you should get new friends.

Marijuana impairs, maybe not as much as alcohol, but it does. I do NOT want to treat people who are high are regular people walking down the street. It's stupid. NO ONE needs marijuana to help themselves and feel better about their life. It's wrong and ridiculous, there is no legit argument that people who are high on marijuana should be able to walk into stores and general public places just because it's legal to abuse the drug, regardless of how many gangs or drug dealers or whatEVER might decrease slightly because of it. That doesn't at all mean people are going to use it less. We're not going to have a perfect world, but the legalization of more drugs isn't going to bring us closer to it.

Stupid. In addition, I agree with the earlier statement that we definitely don't need more impaired drivers. Get lives folks. Play some sports, join a band, be creative and do well in school because resorting to trying to make marijuana legal is just a waste of time. Under extreme cases, even with that said, I might do some research and look into how using marijuana for strict medical purposes might be beneficial.
    I think I could respect your side of the argument more if you didn't tell me to get new friends I don't even care about the stupid part. My friends are nice to me, we share common intrests, and they never try to force me to try pot. I get along with them better than most of the people that are surrounding me and I feel like it would be very shelfish and stupid to quit being their friend just because they get high every once in a while.

Years
    I just went through walls and walls of text...and survived! xD [/shot]

Well, yeah, I think it should be illegal; it's bad for your health, period.
    I dunno why it was produced in the first place. :/

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
    It's stupid. NO ONE needs marijuana to help themselves and feel better about their life. It's wrong and ridiculous, there is no legit argument that people who are high on marijuana should be able to walk into stores and general public places

have u ever been so depressed that u want to kill urself? when people reach that level of depression they turn to drugs. prescription or illegal. and it elevates them into a world where pain is no longer there. this may be only a temporary solution i know, but with therapy and controlled usage of the drug will de-emonize a person. thats a pun for undemonizing (or whatever) too. anyway i havent heard u say that u have experienced a marijuana high urself so i dont think that u can say something like "NO ONE needs marijuana to help themselves feel better about their life". cuz truth is, if u only knew, u might see the light differently.

and fyi: if i sound offended, I AM! u basically just called myself and many of my friends and family stupid. i know u have the right to ur own opinion but i would appreciate it if u apologized. other than that, thanks for posting ur opinion!

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    have u ever been so depressed that u want to kill urself? when people reach that level of depression they turn to drugs. prescription or illegal. and it elevates them into a world where pain is no longer there. this may be only a temporary solution i know, but with therapy and controlled usage of the drug will de-emonize a person. thats a pun for undemonizing (or whatever) too. anyway i havent heard u say that u have experienced a marijuana high urself so i dont think that u can say something like "NO ONE needs marijuana to help themselves feel better about their life". cuz truth is, if u only knew, u might see the light differently.

and fyi: if i sound offended, I AM! u basically just called myself and many of my friends and family stupid. i know u have the right to ur own opinion but i would appreciate it if u apologized. other than that, thanks for posting ur opinion!

None of that really makes your opinion valid. And first of all, like others have commented, stop saying "u" and "urself" and what not. This isn't a chat room, it's a message board/forum community. You need to use real English when arguing points. I have no idea what you're talking about with "demons".

Second, I apologize if that offends you, but seriously dude, there are SOOO many things you can do to get out of depression. I have never felt the need to kill myself, I've been pretty upset, sure, but never that far. And neither should you! I don't need to "experience" marijuana to give a legit opinion of it. It's painfully clear how it works: you get deluded and you feel like you're either completely carefree or on top of the world or perhaps things are just perfectly content. Alright, well guess what: so many other things do that without the physical delusions and harmful consequences to your body and perhaps those around you who either depend on you or those who you're endangering the safety of.

Turning to drugs is a lame decision, try, oh I don't know, Pokémon? It's a pretty happy game/fad and probably the reason you're here. Other stress relievers include sports, after school clubs and activities, doing well in school (it's a high, try it, getting an A on a paper or test is one the greatest mood boosters ever, it just takes a little effort), hanging out with friends by hosting a movie night or throwing a pool party, have a snowball fight or make up a murder mystery game as a unique event. Help out by doing some fun community service activities: making others feel good is also an ultimate life high.

Depression is seriously not something people can't deal with, the only excuse they have is being too lazy or ungrateful to do anything about it. Depressed people are often the types who think happiness is going to be handed to them on a silver plate someday and they're going to sit and stew until that happens. False. You have to make it happen, get active, get involved.

I'll admit that some depressed people have a lot going on in their lives and families that are bothering them. But if that's the case, see your school psychiatrist, see a doctor, see a family counselor, but don't rant about your insanely awful life on a forum hoping the "cheer ups!" from a few people around the world are going to fix things (by the way, I'm definitely not saying that's what you're doing with this topic, I'm just speaking in general.) Sure it might make them feel better for a little while, but that's not going to cure their problems. Get out, get active, get help, get focus.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years

Ok, how is turning to drugs a good decision when you are depressed? There's SO many other smarter and healthier decisions you can make besides drugs. I won't list 'em all, since Volkner pretty much has that covered (lol), but seriously, he wasn't trying to be cruel. It's just common sense really. No matter how bad things get, drugs are never the answer. They'll only lead you down a bad road to addiction, which leads to countless other problems. =/

I don't think marijuana should be legalized. What's the point of putting another drug in people's hands and taking societies' morals down another step? Jeez, people already smoke enough of it even when it's not legal. Imagine what would happen people were just smoking it in the streets? I'd rather not see that...

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    I just went through walls and walls of text...and survived! xD [/shot]

Well, yeah, I think it should be illegal; it's bad for your health, period.
    I dunno why it was produced in the first place. :/
    It grows out of the ground, and people have used it since the dawn of time.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    It grows out of the ground, and people have used it since the dawn of time. Of course, people have been suffering from its effects since the dawn of time as well. But it's okay, because it grows out of the ground. That makes it automatically some of the best things around.

Know what else grows out of the ground? Venus fly traps, large thorny bushes and trees, highly toxic fungus. And more. Just because it grows out of the ground doesn't mean it's meant for us.

ShadowLeader

Years
    well first off, thanks for putting i apologize Volkner's Apprentice. i really appreciate that. second off i was not saying that turning to drugs is the right thing to do when your depressed. trust me that is not a good road to take. smoking marijuana when you are depressed can and will lead you to drugs that will actually hurt you. it is best to relieve stress and cure depression in a different way. marijuana is for partying and having a good time. it should only be used as such. what i meant was until you are in that certain position and faced with that exact choice, you cant say anything. i know some people say that they dont need to have experianced it to understand, but trust me you do. and im not saying go out and smoke. really im not. actually the whole point of this poll was to find some people who supported my cause and would be willing to help me help it get legalized. a lot of people dont think it should be legal at all. and thaths their opinion and i respect that. i also wanted to say that i play varsity football and am ranked 11th in my class. (out of 300 or so) so i am a prime example that u can smoke and be successful. and im very sorry about my typing. i just started doing that recently. im even doing it in school. please tell me if i do it again because i want to fix that. thanks again for your opinions!:D

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    It grows out of the ground, and people have used it since the dawn of time. Of course, people have been suffering from its effects since the dawn of time as well. But it's okay, because it grows out of the ground. That makes it automatically some of the best things around.

Know what else grows out of the ground? Venus fly traps, large thorny bushes and trees, highly toxic fungus. And more. Just because it grows out of the ground doesn't mean it's meant for us.
    I said that because her post sounded like people have to create it to have it.

wee187

Years
    I understand now, but, no offense, but you worded that real badly back there. Just make sure that you point out what you mean exactly, otherwise it will definitely upset many people(usually).

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    I used to think so. Though now I lean toward the opposite spectrum. Its extremly carcinagenic, has been linked to certian mental illnesses, and as a whole not that great for people. Plus my knowledge of addiction studies leads me to believe that it really is a gate way drug. But im not to zelous regarding this issue. If people want to- let em. It will be another thing we can **** ourselves up with.

The pharmacuetical companies are a joke... But so is marijuana. Drink some chamomille tea for christ's sake. Exercise. Help someone out.

Ape

The Grapester
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I think that Marijuana should be legalized and taxed, but Alcohol should be banned. Simply because there has never been a recorded instance of someone turning violent or killing somebody while high. Drunk drivers cause a high ratio of deaths, while people who are are stoned rarely move from their original toking position. And notice how I said "taxed", if they want to get high, at least strengthen the economy by doing so.

wee187

Years
    Oh god, ban alcohol? No no no....

Not that it's good, I hate it and never will try it, but banning that's been done before. Prohibition failed epicly unepic. We don't need bootleggers and crap again.

Since marijuana is already banned, unbanning it will put it in the exact same position as alcohol, which isn't good at all.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    I think that Marijuana should be legalized and taxed, but Alcohol should be banned. Simply because there has never been a recorded instance of someone turning violent or killing somebody while high. Drunk drivers cause a high ratio of deaths, while people who are are stoned rarely move from their original toking position. And notice how I said "taxed", if they want to get high, at least strengthen the economy by doing so.

Don't try changing the topic..it's a poll/casual debate on marijuana, not alcohol, that's a whoooooooole other issue (and one that isn't going to be resolved anytime soon XD)

wee187

Years
    yeah....people who drink alcohol tend to be violent whereas people who smoke marijuana tend to be mellow.

Wrong, alcohol is a depressant, it makes you tired. People who drink alcohol can be violent yes, but not solely because of the alcohol. Alcohol makes you tired. Empty, pretty much.

ShadowLeader

Years
    i agree....we tried that once and it got way worse...lets leave that's one alone for a while....ill start a topic for that later....:D

no offense weee187 but do you drink often? yes alcohol makes you tired but that after drinking HUGE amounts....before that you are highly energized and really load....but like i said lets leave that for another discussion..

Last edited:
    Back