• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pop Culture Pop Quiz

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Pop Culture Pop Quiz at PokéCommunity Get-Together 8

Welcome to the PokéCommunity Pop Culture Pop Quiz (henceforth known as the PCPCPQ). Do you spend all your time watching E! or looking at TMZ? Do you know the difference between each Transformers film? Can you recite all of the lyrics to all of the songs on Born This Way? If you can, then this is the event for you this Get-Together! (If you can't, this is also the event for you this Get-Together, as I won't be asking any of that stuff!)

Although the PCPCPQ is labelled as a pop quiz, the format that I'll be using over the course of the Get-Together is more in line with the traditional English pub quiz. There will be themed question rounds posted in this thread at specified times of the Get-Together. The aim of the quiz is to get the most answers correct in each round; the points from each round will be added up at the end and the person - or team - with the most points will be declared the winner(s). Yay!

What are these 'rounds' you speak of?

This is a 'pop culture' pop quiz, so the rounds will be entertainment themed. There will be seven in total, encompassing:

• Picture round: pictures of famous faces will be presented and contestants must identify the pictures. (Friday 15th July 07:00 EDT)
  • Film round: contestants must answer questions about the world of cinema. (Friday 15th July 19:00 EDT)
  • Television round: contestants must answer questions about the world of television. (Saturday 16th July 07:00 EDT)
  • Music round: contestants must answer questions about the world of music. (Saturday 16th July 19:00 EDT)
  • Sport round: contestants must answer questions about the world of sport. (Sunday 17th July 07:00 EDT)
  • MYSTERY ROUND: contestants must answer questions about an entertainment theme to be determined; capitalised for extra mystery! (Sunday 17th July 19:00 EDT)
  • Pot luck: contestants must answer questions about a variety of entertainment-related topics. (Monday 18th July 07:00 EDT)
Each round will have 20 questions; however, each question may be worth differing amounts of points.

So as not to overwhelm people with too much at once, the question rounds will be spaced out over the Get-Together, at the times mentioned above.

How do I play?

Very simply! For each round, send me the answers to the questions in a Private Message to me - Mr Cat Dog - with the PM clearly labelled with the round whose questions you are answering and whether you are answering individually or as part of a team. You can send your answers in at any time during the Get-Together, but I must receive your answers to every round by the end of the Get-Together (23:59 EDT) if you wish to be eligible for the top prize. Below is a sample of the structure your PM would take:

Spoiler:

So, what's this you mentioned about teams?

As is true with pub quizzes in real life, I thought it would be a good idea to encourage team playing in this event. If you want to pool your entertainment knowledge with some of your friends on the forum for whatever reason (to increase the chances of winning, to come on to PC at different times to submit answers etc.) If you wish to enter as part of a team, that's great! You just need to make sure that the other team members do wish to participate with you, and you need to think of a team name. To certify your team, you must also post in this thread with your team name as well as the other members of your team. (They don't have to post if they don't want to, but there needs to be at least one representative posting here.)

Being part of a team means that you all share in the glory. If a team wins the PCPCPQ, all the team members will get an emblem (details below). However, only one person in the team needs to send answers. Different people in the team can send answers to different rounds if they want to, but I'm not particularly bothered about the micro-dynamics of individual teams.

Two things should be stressed about team gameplay. The first is that if you want to leave a team before the quiz is over, you won't be able to take part in the rest of the quiz as an individual. The second is that your team must be finalized before you submit your first set of answers: no latecomers, unfortunately. So just think carefully about setting up your team.

And... what do we win?

There are three emblems as part of this event.

The winning contestant/team will get the Pop Culture Brainiac emblem:
image.php

If a contestant/team wins a round, he/she/they will get the Pop Culture Round Winner emblem:
circle2.gif

If a contestant/team doesn't win the whole quiz or a round, he/she/they will still get the Pop Culture Participant emblem:
toy_brain6.gif

Who's running this here thingy, then?

That would be me. If you have any questions about this event, feel free to post them in this thread and I'll answer them ASAP. Apart from posting team names and answering questions and posting new rounds, feel free to use this thread as a discussion thread about the quiz. (Although, I don't feel that this needs to be emphasized, but no cheating please. That includes putting answers in this thread.)

I think that's everything, so happy quizzing, everyone!

Last edited:
Years
Those emblems are certainly... interesting. And wooOoohh~ mystery round. I'd love to play. Somebody team up with me! I have some major pop culture gaps in my brain, but I've got plenty of obscure trivia, too.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
This looks fun. I will probably do horrible on the music part though since I don't get too deep into it outside of listening to the actual song. Hope there isn't too many questions about stuff like Cricket, Lacrosse, cause I have no clue to any trivia related things on either of those... I guess if we do teams I can be part of one depending how big this thing gets.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
The first event I've been 100% sure about doing. I'm fine with all of those rounds except sports... |: If anyone wants to team up, I'll be glad too! :3 I'm the guy who knows his trivia! 8)

켄니씨

>Insert C.U.T Here<
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
I'm so in,I can't guarantee I'll have a lot of points but it'll work

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Round 1: Picture Round

Let's get this started, yo!

Below are 20 pictures of famous folks in the world of television, film, music, theatre and sports. Your task is to identify each person. Please bear in mind that in the case of actors/actresses, I want their ACTUAL names and not the name of any character that they have played. As well as this - with the exception of Question 12 - FIRST NAMES AND SURNAMES are necessary if you want to get those precious points.

This round is also split up into three parts. The first part is the Modern Round, where each correct answer will be worth 1 point. The second part is the Retro Round, featuring slightly older celebritees, where each correct answer will be worth 2 points. The third and final part is the Archive Round, featuring black and white photos (ZOMG!), where each correct answer will be worth 3 points. So, without further ado:

Modern Round (Q1-10 | 1pt per correct answer)

1)
1.jpg

2)
2.jpg

3)
3.jpg

4)
4.jpg

5)
5.jpg

6)
6.jpg

7)
7.jpg

8)
8.jpg

9)
9.jpg

10)
10-1.jpg

Retro Round (Q11-15 | 2pts per correct answer)

11)
11.jpg

12)
12.jpg

13)
13.jpg

14)
14.jpg

15)
15.jpg

Archive Round (Q16-20 | 3pts per correct answer)

16)
16.jpg

17)
17.jpg

18)
18.jpg

19)
19.jpg

20)
20.jpg

Years
Vendak and I are teamed up for this and we are... Scarf's Gothic Pony Posse. xD

Anyway, sent in our guesses. All I can say is thank goodness for retro pop culture.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Round 2: Film Round

Welcome to the Film Round! Like the last round, there are 20 questions, but in this case, the number of points for each question is put in brackets after the question. As always, submit your answers to me via PM any time before the end of the Get-Together.

1) According to the Writers Guild of America, what is the best film screenplay ever written? (1)
2) Unadjusted for inflation, what is the highest grossing-film ever worldwide? (1)
3) Adjusted for inflation, what is the highest grossing-film ever worldwide? (1)
4) Which of these Japanese directors directed the epic Seven Samurai: Mizoguchi, Miyazaki, Kurosawa, Ozu? (2)
5) Who played the title character in Schindler's List? (1)
6) Around which holiday is Die Hard set? (1)
7) Which film in the Harry Potter franchise is the shortest in length? (1)
8) Name three members of the so-called acting 'Frat Pack' (3)
9) What university does Indiana Jones teach at? (2)
10) Who voices Mufasa in The Lion King and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy? (2)
11) The King's Speech featured Colin Firth playing which English monarch? (1)
12) Which film introduced the phrase 'bunny boiler' into the cultural lexicon? (2)
13) 'Good Morning' and 'Gotta Dance' are songs from which movie musical? (1)
14) Who famously compared himself to Hitler, after insulting Danish film director Suzanne Bier, at this year's Cannes Film Festival? (2)
15) The 400 Blows and Jules et Jim were directed by which member of the French New Wave? (1)
16) Which of the following films does not feature Robert de Niro: The Godfather, Brazil, Meet the Parents, The King of Comedy? (2)
17) Name all of the actors who have played Batman in leading roles in live-action feature films. (4)
18) Which film directed by Quentin Tarantino is the only one to have been based directly on a book? (2)
19) Jeff Bridges and John Wayne have both played which iconic Western role? (2)
20) How many actors have played the role of James Bond (in canonical films only)? (3)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope we're not too late. :x Me and Karpman are teamed together as Garden of Baylilil. We're still able to send in answers for the first round right? Time zones confuse me. >:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Do you win a round by just getting all of the answers right for one round? Because all I really want is the round emblem xD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Round 3: Television Round

I hope we're not too late. :x Me and Karpman are teamed together as Garden of Baylilil. We're still able to send in answers for the first round right? Time zones confuse me. >:
You're not too late at all! You can send your answers in at ANY TIME DURING THE GET-TOGETHER, so long as it is before the end.

Do you win a round by just getting all of the answers right for one round? Because all I really want is the round emblem xD
You just need to get the most right out of all the contestants. In some cases, that might mean all of the questions, in other cases, the round might be so hard so as to warrant only 10 right. Essentially, just get as many right as possible and hope for the best! You won't know until you play, though.

---

Welcome to the Television Round! Again, 20 questions with the points for each question in brackets. As always, PMs to me before the end of the Get-Together.

1) Before its cancellation last year, what British show was the longest running comedy series ever? (2)
2) How are Kath and Kim related in the Australian television show of the same name? (2)
3) Which HBO show starred Bill Paxton as a radical Mormon pastor, along with his three wives and extended family? (1)
4) Ken Barlow, Steve MacDonald, Sally Webster and Eileen Grimshaw are characters in which long-running British soap opera? (2)
5) How many times was Ross Gellar married in Friends? (2)
6) The Flanders family are the neighbours of which televisual family? (1)
7) What is the name of SpongeBob SquarePants' place of employment? (2)
8) Who was the presenter of the UK series of Big Brother, when it aired on Channel 4? (2)
9) What are the full names of the main quartet in South Park? (4)
10) In the sitcom Fawlty Towers, which city did the waiter, Manuel, say he was from? (2)
11) Which one of these shows is not a spin-off of a previous series: Frasier, Phyllis, Louie? (1)
12) Who shot J.R. Ewing in Dallas? (2)
13) Who is currently the highest-paid actor on US television and for which show? (2)
14) How many children are in the Soprano family in the eponymous television series? (1)
15) Finish the title of this Canadian television series: 'The ______ Murdoch Mysteries'. (1)
16) Which one of the following actors is actually American: Dave Foley, Jon Hamm, Stephen Moyer? (1)
17) What was the surname of the main family in Malcolm in the Middle? (2)
18) 'Dead Parrot', 'The Ministry of Silly Walks' and 'The Spanish Inquisition' are sketches from which sketch show? (2)
19) In which town was the original UK series of The Office set? (2)
20) Michael Bluth is the protagonist of which television series? (1)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
ROUND 4: MUSIC ROUND WILL BE DELAYED AS I HAVE REAL LIFE PARTYING BUSINESS TO ATTEND TO.

HOPEFULLY IT SHOULD BE UP NO LATER THAN 21:00 EDT, BUT IT MIGHT BE LATER.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Round 4: Music Round

Make that 22:00 EDT! Too much partying business to attend to. You all know the drill by now so let's get to it.

QUICK REMINDER: YOU CAN ENTER THE PCPCPQ AT ANY TIME DURING THE GET-TOGETHER. JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ THE FIRST POST! THANKIES!

1) True or False: The Eurovision Song Contest allows certain non-European countries to participate? (1)
2) Which artist has the best selling US single of 2011 – according to Billboard – and what is the song in question? (1)
3) Which artist has the best selling US album of 2011 – according to Billboard – and what is the album in question? (1)
4) How many Beatles are still alive, and what age would the deceased ones be if they were alive? (4)
5) In Rolling Stone's update to the 500 Best Songs of All Time, one song from the past decade made it into the Top 100. Which song was it and where did it place? (2)
6) Who was the original singer of Aretha Franklin's signature song 'Respect'? (1)
7) How many children do the Spice Girls have, collectively? (3)
8) Which members of Fleetwood Mac are the only two to have been through every incarnation of the band? (1)
9) If a piece of music has a 4/4 time signature, and has used two crotchets and a quaver, how long should the other notes (or rests) be to complete the bar? (3)
10) After Michael Jackson's death in 2009, which of his songs climbed the highest in the UK charts and became his most downloaded song on iTunes in the US? (2)
11) Which of these musicals is not based on a band's previous material: We Will Rock You, Avenue Q, Mamma Mia! (1)
12) What bands were the basis for the musicals listed above? (2)
13) In what year was the 'William Tell Overture' composed? (1)
14) Who is Cee-Lo Green's partner in electronic duo Gnarls Barkley? (1)
15) Which band had one of their members' son go to prison yesterday for illegally disrupting protests on university tuition fees in the UK earlier this year? (2)
16) Which 90s US comedy show titled a large number of its episodes after Led Zeppelin songs (2)
17) Which of these is a Lady Gaga song: Government Hooker, Satanic ****, Jezebel Wench (1)
18) Which English city is Sting from? (1)
19) Which member of The Beatles has not appeared on the Simpsons? (1)
20) What are the episode names of the Simpsons episodes that the other Beatles DID appear in? (4)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
ROUNDS 5 AND 6 WILL BOTH BE APPEARING AT 19:00 EDT DUE TO THE AFTER EFFECTS OF MY PARTYING BUSINESS YESTERDAY, AS WELL AS THE SERVER LAG.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Rounds 5 and 6: Sport and MYSTERY

Hey everyone. Two rounds, one post. Round 5 is the one I've been dreading the most to think of questions for - sport - but Round 6 is my favourite round ever because of the topic. Here's Round 5. You know the dealio by now:

1) Which country won the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup Final (1)
2) How many US states have more than one NFL team as of the 2011 season? (2)
3) What does the Formula One team name 'Toro Rosso' mean in English? (2)
4) Which is the largest country in the world never to have won an Olympic medal? (4)
5) Who are the current holders of the ICC Cricket World Cup (1)
6) How many MLB Rookies of the Year are still active in Major League Baseball? (2)
7) Which variant of rugby has 13 members in a team? (1)
8) Which of these basketball teams has Shaquille O'Neal not played for: Cleveland Cavaliers, Los Angeles Lakers, Seattle Seahawks, Orlando Magic? (1)
9) Which NFL team has won the most Super Bowls? (2)
10) What is the shortest track on the Formula One calendar? (1)
11) Which baseball team has the highest payroll of any American sports team in the United States? (1)
12) If I say that 'Milan' have won a game in the Serie A, which sport am I talking about and which team am I talking about within that sport? (3)
13) What was Usain Bolt's record-breaking 100m final time at the 2008 Summer Olympics* (2)
14) What year did basketball become an Olympic sport? (1)
15) Who are the current Australian Football League champions? (2)
16) How many Grand Sumo tournaments (or 'honbasho') are there each year? (3)
17) If you are an Italian football team, what do you have to win to achieve the 'Treble' that Inter Milan won for the 2009-2010 season? (3)
18) Which sport am I referring to if the objective of scoring points is to advance the ball into the opponent's end zone? (1)
19) Who is the current Driver's Champion in Formula One? (1)
20) Which NBA player caused a stir at the end of his free agency period by announcing his new team via a live ESPN special entitled The Decision? (1)

* A little bit of leeway will be given on this question. At least 2 decimal points, though.

---

And here's Round 6, henceforth known as the AWARDS ROUND! 20 questions all about various entertainment awards... my favourite topic ever! Good luck, everyone.

1) Which four awards do you need to win if you wish to accomplish the EGOT? (4)
2) Five actresses have won two Academy Awards for Best Actress since 1970. Name all five of them. (5)
3) Which comedy series holds the record for most Emmy nominations ever? (1)
4) How many Tony Awards has Stephen Sondheim won for Best Original Score?* (1)
5) Which is the only album to have won the Grammy Award for Best Album that was released on an independent label? (2)
6) How many combined Academy Awards for Best Director do the following individuals have: Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg? (2)
7) True or False: Laura Linney has won every Emmy nomination she has received (up to the 2010 Emmy Awards)? (1)
8) True or False: Norah Jones won all four Grammy General Field Awards (Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist) for her album Come Away with Me? (1)
9) What is the name of the organization that organises the Golden Globe Awards? (2)
10) Which of the following is NOT an acronym for a film/television awards giving body: AMPAS, NATAS, ATEAS, BAFTA? (1)
11) Which male actor has been nominated for every Tony Award for acting eligible without ever winning? (1)
12) Which individual has won the most Academy Awards? (1)
13) Which reality show won the Emmy Award for Best Reality Competition Show for every year of the category's existence until it was bested last year by Top Chef? (1)
14) Which Beatles album was the only one to win the Grammy Award for Album of the Year? (1)
15) Who caused a stir in the 1980s when it was discovered that her Golden Globe Award for Best Newcomer was preceded by her husband flying the voting corps to Las Vegas to watch her perform for free? (3)
16) Which awards ceremony – a spin-off of the BFCA's Critic's Choice Awards – was launched this year to precede the Emmy Awards? (1)
17) Which is the only musical to win three Tony Awards for Best Musical (and Musical Revival)? (2)
18) Which of these is not a valid acronym for a music award: ACM, MCA, MTVMA, CMA? (1)
19) Which of the following is not a European film award: Zeus, Cesar, Goya? (1)
20) Name three people who have completed the EGOT accomplishment mentioned in Question 1?** (3)

*For 1971, consider the Best Original Score and Lyrics categories as one combined award.
** Only competitive awards, not honorary.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Round 7: Pot luck

Final round, people! Get this round - and your answers to all the other rounds - into me by THE END OF THE GET-TOGETHER. There are rumours that GT8 is being extended, so don't be afraid to take your time and come with the best solutions you can. Without further ado:

1) The Royal Tenenbaums is set in a fictional version of which city? (2)
2) Which two TV series star Bryan Cranston as, alternately, a disengaged but loving father of three and a chemistry teacher who turns to drug dealing? (2)
3) Fill in the blank of this 1960s music and film group: The ___ Pack (1)
4) Which sport has an objective to score by shooting a ball into an opponent's goal, using a stick to catch, carry, and pass the ball to do so? (1)
5) Which country has won the most Oscars for Best Foreign Language Film? (3)
6) Which television series, created by David Simon, depicts the drug war in Baltimore from the perspective of the police, drug dealers, politicians and more? (2)
7) What does the musical acronym ABBA stand for? (2)
8) How many divisions are there in the English Premier League? (1)
9) Which television show has the most Emmy nominations for this year's ceremony? (1)
10) Which film recently broke the US record for box office opening weekends? (1)
11) Which of the following is NOT a Ballade by Chopin: No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 / No. 2 in B, Op. 31 / No. 3 in A flat, Op. 47? (3)
12) What is a Hail Mary pass? (2)
13) There have been only two jukebox musicals that have won the Tony Award for Best Musical, what are their names? (2)
14) Elizabeth Taylor played which Egyptian pharaoh in the 1963 film of the same name? (1)
15) In which US state is the TV series Deadwood set? (2)
16) Which country will host the next Winter Olympics? (1)
17) Which three films have won the most Academy Awards? (3)
18) Which of these 1970s classic films was NOT directed by Francis Ford Coppola: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Sting (2)
19) Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce is the setting for which 1960s-set TV series? (1)
20) Mothership is the Greatest Hits album of which band? (2)

Nyokou

Global Generation
Years
I'm going to try this out!

EDIT: I'm doing it as an individual! I think this is the only activity I'm going to do for the GT this year.

Last edited:
Back