• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Possible Tall Grass Mishap?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Is it normal for the player to, when stepping between grass tiles that would normally render his lower half transparent (and do so when he's standing still on them), becoming fully visible? I don't remember whether or not this has always been a thing, but it strikes me as odd and i do not recall Essentials behaving this way before. Here is a couple screenshots to serve as reference:

Possible Tall Grass Mishap?

On a related note, the character is not making the shuffling noise they normally make when moving through this grass, which is something I am sure is supposed to happen. I tested these things in a raw, untouched version of Essentials to make sure I hadn't just messed something up, But the same exact things happen (or don't happen, I should say.)

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Between each tile is a no mans land kind of thing, there is no way to stop that as far as I'm aware... It took me a while to find out how to make tiles that go on to another tile, to be above the player... If you get that, kind of like how a tree takes up multiple tiles.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • From the Essentials v14 changelog page on the wikia:

"The player and events now only sink into bush tiles if they're stationary."

So yeah, it wasn't like that before, in-between tiles priority work just fine when you used the bush flag before, and it still works fine if you work with priorities higher than +1 (and in some cases +2) in the tileset editor.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Allright, thanks for the feedback, I'll take your suggestions and try my best to make it work! :) Any word on the sound effect though? I'm sure I can remedy it by adding it to the grass animation in the animations, but I just wanted to know if there was some other problem there.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2023
    As JV said, the walking-through-grass animation changed in v14. If you want it to go back to the way it was, though, it's a pretty simple edit. (If you use a nonstandard tileset for tall grass, having it the old way could look better.)

At the bottom of the script section Game_Character_1, remove this text:
    Code:
      def bush_depth
        if @tile_id > 0 or @always_on_top
          return 0
        end
        xbehind=(@direction==4) ? @x+1 : (@direction==6) ? @x-1 : @x
        ybehind=(@direction==8) ? @y+1 : (@direction==2) ? @y-1 : @y
        if @jump_count <= 0 and self.map.deepBush?(@x, @y) and
                                self.map.deepBush?(xbehind, ybehind)
          return 32
        elsif @jump_count <= 0 and self.map.bush?(@x, @y) and !moving?
          return 12
        else
          return 0
        end
      end

Then, replace it with the following text (which I just ripped from v13):

Code:
      def bush_depth
        if @tile_id > 0 or @always_on_top
          return 0
        end
        if @jump_count <= 0 and self.map.bush?(@x, @y)
          return 12
        else
          return 0
        end
      end

That worked for me.

Coincidentally, please let me know if you find a way to make the grass-rustling sound work properly. I've been meaning to get around to that, but haven't yet...

Reactions: FL
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you for this, I appreciate the help :) I will definitely try your suggestion.
    As for the rustling sound, I just added the sound to the grass rustle animation, and it works fine lol. That's all I knew to do about it.

Back