• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potential reboot discussion

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    With a few prominent Pokétubers theorizing that the Pokémon series is going to "end" with Sun and Moon as a sort of climactic finish, and saying that
    it'll probably be rebooted, I got to thinking; what would they actually do if they rebooted Pokémon? The way I see it, they could either start over from Kanto with the 150 original Pokémon and start adding more new ones with each generation, or they could start over completely from scratch with 150 all-new Pokémon, perhaps reserving some spaces for some returning fan favorites and particularly iconic mons. Perhaps other fan favorites from the first Pokémon era (as some are now calling it) could return in their corresponding second-era generations.

A bigger question, though, is how they would change up the gameplay. I imagine it would still involve turn-based battles, but perhaps they would be a little bit more complex; and I don't mean loads of new types.

One idea I had was a more in-depth command system. Before selecting any attack, you could choose an offensive or defensive "modifier" command that changes the move's execution.

Offensive modifiers:

Give it your all! - The Pokémon's attack deals +50% extra damage, but it must spend the next turn recharging as though it had used Hyper Beam or a similar attack. If the attack already has an after-attack recharge period, it'll be extended to 2 turns.

Now! - The Pokémon's attack goes first, but it has -25% less accuracy.

Hit 'em hard! - The Pokémon's attack deals +25 more damage, but it has -25% less accuracy.

Focus! - The Pokémon's attack can't miss and has a dramatically higher crit chance, but won't go until next turn.

Defensive modifiers:

Dodge it! - Your Pokémon's attack goes last, but you have an extra +33% chance of making the opponent miss.

Endure it! - Your Pokémon's attack goes last and has a +25% chance of missing, but you take -25% less damage on that turn. Also prevents flinching.

Strike back! - If your attack goes first, your Pokémon will become confused; if it goes last, the opponent will become confused.

Dodge and counter! - Forces your attack to go last, and gives you a +10% chance of making the opponent miss. If their attack misses, you'll hit them for +50% extra damage, but if it doesn't you'll get flinched.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I think the general idea of this is really cool since it sort of adds depth to your role as the trainer and your partnership with your pokemon. Assuming this would be part of a spinoff where the meta game of the current franchise has no jurisdiction, obviously this game mechanic would definitely design a whole new meta game and would also completely toss up all tiers of the normal combat style, but as you said, it's a spin off idea so it could toss around any kind of normal battle mechanics and not care.
    The only concern I would have with this is how heavily these mechanics affect the purpose of the speed stat, that and if you're still keeping all of the rules of normal speed priorities, how would these mechanics affect it. I think it would either make priority worthless or the opposite which would be priority makes this mechanic not very good.

If I were to see a spin off series due to the main franchise ending (which it wont, there's just no way it's going to just end at this point, it's still an incredibly popular gaming phenomenon), I would really like to see a main console pokemon game where you could explore multiple of the main regions of the older games. I think maybe being able to play in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, all in a single pokemon battling game on a main Nintendo console would be really awesome to play.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    To my knowledge, speed already determines who goes first when priority moves clash, so that would probably stay the same. Also, the only command that actually gives priority is "Now!" Which also lowers accuracy by a fair margin; since priority moves are usually something you use to try and take out the opponent before they get a chance to do something, it's still not as reliable as an actual priority attack.

The only command that actively punishes priority on its own is "Strike back!" since it confuses the other Pokémon if their own attack goes first; but if they DON'T out-prioritize you, then YOU get confused, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Many of them play off of each other, but keep in mind that none of the commands are actually necessary. You can still perform a normal move.

Back